Hearty, spicy, and loaded with savory Italian sausage, this easy crockpot lasagna soup is the ultimate comfort food. With a rich tomato broth, tender noodles and gooey mozzarella cheese, this cozy meal is guaranteed to be a new family favorite!
Why This Is the Best Crockpot Lasagna Soup Recipe
With browned Italian sausage, melty cheese, and bright, fresh herbs, this crockpot lasagna soup is everything you love about lasagna, but in a bowl. The noodles are tender, the sauce is rich and spicy, and the sausage is packed with umami. Here’s why you’ll love it.
- Easy: Crockpot dinners are perfect for when you want dinner ready and waiting for you at the end of a long day without a ton of work. The slow cooker does all the hard work and allows your soup to simmer all day, making a rich and complex dinner with little effort on your part!
- Cozy. This is such a comforting recipe. It’s warm, hearty, healthy, and super cozy. This is the perfect wholesome dinner to enjoy at the end of a long day, or when it’s cold outside.
- Versatile. We make this herby and meaty lasagna soup as a main dish all the time. But you can also serve it as a side soup with any Italian recipe. It’s great for lunch or dinner and you can easily make a large batch to serve at a dinner party or potluck. Just take your crockpot with you and plug it in!
Crockpot lasagna soup is loaded with meaty flavors, thanks to a lot of tasty Italian sausage and beef broth. The tangy tomatoes cut through the rich meat, and the tender lasagna noodles soak up all the flavor. For full ingredient amounts and directions, scroll to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Ground Italian Sausage: You can also use a combination of ½ a pound Italian sausage and ½ pound ground beef, or try ground turkey Italian sausage for a leaner option.
- Onion: A yellow onion is best for this recipe, but a white onion will work in a pinch.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic will give you the most flavor.
- Italian Seasoning
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper: Always use freshly cracked pepper for the best flavor.
- Canned Petite Diced Tomatoes: Do not drain the tomatoes.
- Tomato Sauce
- Beef Broth
- Lasagna Noodles: You’ll need to break the noodles into smaller pieces.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Pre-shredded cheese works fine, but for best results shred your own.
- Fresh Basil
- Ricotta Cheese: We love adding a scoop of ricotta cheese on top, making your soup taste much more like a traditional lasagna.
- Parmesan Cheese: Shredded or grated parmesan cheese.
How to Make Crockpot Lasagna Soup
You won’t believe how easy this recipe is, even the noodles cook in the crockpot! Scroll to the recipe card to see detailed instructions on how to make this easy slow cooker soup.
- Cook the sausage. Brown the sausage in a skillet with the onions until cooked through, then season with garlic, salt, pepper, chili flakes, and Italian seasoning.
- Make the soup. Add the sausage and onion mixture to the crock pot with the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beef broth. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add the noodles. With 30 minutes remaining, stir in the noodles and finish cooking.
- Serve. Stir in the shredded mozzarella, and top with optional ricotta, basil, and parmesan.
Tips and Tricks
This hearty and meaty lasagna soup is so easy to make, and so delicious, but here are a few tips to help guarantee success.
- Different Pasta Types: It goes without saying that crockpot lasagna soup is best with lasagna noodles. But if you don’t have any, don’t worry! You can replace the lasagna noodles with 6 to 8 ounces of any type of dried pasta you have on hand.
- Brown The Meat: The best way to get maximum flavor from ground meat is to brown it well. When you’re cooking the sausage for this lasagna soup, make sure you get some good color on it. Don’t be afraid to cook the sausage at a higher temperature, and don’t stir it too often, letting the edges darken.
- Separate Noodles And Sauce If Storing: If you’re planning on having leftovers and storing the lasagna soup, don’t add the noodles to the crockpot. Instead, cook the noodles on the stovetop, and add them to each individual bowl of the soup when you serve it. When stored, the noodles will absorb a lot of the broth, and they’ll become soggy and gummy. This way you can store the pasta and the soup separately, keeping the texture perfect.
What to Serve With Easy Lasagna Soup
You can serve this slow cooker lasagna soup as a side dish alongside your favorite Italian entree, like these easy baked meatballs, instant pot spaghetti and meatballs, or this quick shrimp scampi. Most often we make this hearty soup the main course and serve it with a fresh salad, like this cherry tomato caprese salad or a light green side salad, and some homemade garlic bread.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover crockpot lasagna soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days. If you’re planning on having leftovers, it’s best to cook and store the noodles separately, so they don’t absorb the soup and become soggy. We do not recommend freezing lasagna soup, as the texture of the noodles will suffer.
To reheat the soup, add the noodles to the broth, and heat in the microwave in 30-second increments, or on the stovetop over medium heat until warm throughout.
More Easy Slow Cooker Soup Recipes
Crockpot soups are perfect on cold days. You can make a hearty and rich meal with barely any work. Here are some more of easy slow cooker soup recipes for you to try!
- Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup
- Crockpot Turkey Chili
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Crockpot Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Crockpot Baked Potato Soup
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Crockpot Minestrone Soup
Crockpot Lasagna Soup
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, or ground turkey Italian sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) petite diced tomatoes , do not drain
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 10-12 lasagna noodles, broken into 2 to 3 inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil
- Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- Prepare a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray (or add a little oil to the skillet) and then add the Italian sausage and onion and cook over medium heat. Use a spoon to break up the sausage as it cooks, stirring occasionally and until meat is browned, and onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper stir and add to the crockpot.
- Next pour the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef broth into the crockpot. Stir until well mixed.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or low for 4 to 6 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add the broken lasagna noodles to the soup. Stir, cover with lid, and cook on high for 30 more minutes. When ready to serve, stir in the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Serve warm with fresh basil, ricotta, and parmesan cheese on top, if desired!