Juicy chicken breasts smothered in a rich and creamy mushroom gravy make this super easy crockpot chicken and gravy recipe a go-to family favorite. Serve this creamy, ultra-tender chicken and gravy over mashed potatoes or rice and watch how quickly it disappears!
Why You’ll Love This Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
Hours in the slow cooker make this creamy chicken and gravy so tender that the chicken is practically falling apart. Here’s why you’ll love this easy crockpot chicken and gravy recipe:
- So Easy: This is one of those amazing recipes where you just add everything to the crockpot and it does all of the work for you! All you have to do is season the chicken, add all the ingredients into the slow cooker, and walk away for a few hours. When you come back, a creamy comforting dinner is ready and waiting!
- Affordable: These succulent chicken breasts taste indulgent, but the ingredients needed for this recipe are thankfully affordable. It packs a rich and creamy flavor with a ton of protein, but you only need to spend a few bucks.
- Hearty: Served over mashed potatoes or rice to soak up all the extra gravy, we promise this comforting dinner that will leave you satisfied! It’s especially perfect on a cold night when you want a hearty and stick-to-your-ribs kind of meal to warm you up.
- Mess-free: Another great thing about crockpots is that they help you make delicious food without making a mess. These tender and creamy chicken breasts will leave your taste buds happy and your kitchen sparkling clean.
If you love juicy chicken smothered in gravy, you will also love this quick stovetop chicken and gravy recipe that is ready in just 20 minutes!
With simple every day ingredients that you may already have sitting in your pantry, this is an easy dinner to whip together without much thought or notice needed! For full ingredient amounts and directions, scroll to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Chicken Breasts: You can also swap this for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cream of Onion Soup: Cream of celery or cream of mushroom will also work. If you use cream of mushroom, skip the added mushrooms, unless you want lots of mushroom flavor!
- Chicken Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce: Just a splash helps to deepen the flavor of the gravy.
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder: If you do not have garlic powder, you can use 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic.
- Black Pepper : Freshly cracked black pepper with give you the most flavor.
- Mushrooms: We used sliced baby portobello mushrooms.
- Cornstarch: This is an optional ingredient for thickening the gravy.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken And Gravy
Covered in thick, onion gravy with earthy mushrooms, these tender chicken breasts are rich, hearty, and super moist. Head to the recipe card for detailed instructions on how to make this easy dinner!
- Mix the gravy: Add the soups, chicken broth, and Worcestershire sauce to a crockpot and stir to combine.
- Add chicken and mushrooms: Put seasoned chicken on top of the gravy and top with sliced mushrooms.
- Cook: Turn your crockpot on and cook the meat for 6-8 hours on low, or 4-6 hours on high.
- Thicken: If you want a thicker gravy, make a slurry and stir it into the sauce.
- Serve: Serve the chicken whole, sliced, or shredded.
Tips And Variations
It is pretty impossible to mess up this simple recipe, but here are a few tricks to ensure your success and variations for you to switch it up!
- Sear The Chicken: If you have the time and want to give your chicken a little extra color/texture, sear your chicken. Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add a little oil. Sear the chicken on each side, for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. You are not trying to fully cook the chicken, just brown it. Add the seared chicken to the crockpot and proceed with the recipe as written.
- Adjust The Gravy: The instructions for this crockpot chicken include making an optional cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. It might be plenty thick enough to your liking without adding any cornstarch, in which case skip that step. If you want it thicker, add the slurry to make your gravy nice and thick!
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: We really love the sweet flavor of cream of onion soup, but if you prefer something more earthy, you can use cream of mushroom soup instead.
- Add Onions Or Garlic: If you want to add another layer of flavor to this yummy chicken dish, you can add sliced onions or fresh minced garlic with the mushrooms into the slow cooker. You can also add peppers or chili flakes for a kick of spice.
- Use Thighs: If you prefer chicken thighs, or they’re what you have around, that’s fine! The recipe works just as well with thighs as with breasts, and you don’t have to change anything. Just make sure that you use boneless, skinless thighs.
We like to serve this chicken and gravy on top of buttered pasta, mashed potatoes, or rice. And since the recipe is so rich and creamy, it goes really well with a bright and fresh vegetable side dish. Roasted green beans, skillet fried corn, and southern green beans with bacon would all goes great.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat the chicken in a 350°F oven, covered in aluminum foil, for 10 minutes, or in the microwave in 30-second increments.
Can You Freeze Smothered Chicken?
This is a great recipe to freeze for whenever you need an easy meal. Just make sure the smothered chicken is fully cool, then store in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 months. For best results, thaw completely in the fridge overnight before serving or reheating.
More Easy Crockpot Recipes
Crockpot dinners are perfect for when you need a hearty and flavorful home cooked meal that doesn’t require much effort. Here are a few easy crockpot recipes that we love to make.
- Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Crockpot Cabbage and Sausage
- Crockpot Ranch Chicken
- Crockpot Beefy Onion Meatballs
- Crockpot Sloppy Joes
Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of onion soup
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, optional, for thickening
- 3 tablespoons water
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Add both cans of soup, the chicken broth, and the Worcestershire sauce to a crock pot and stir until well mixed.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the soup mixture, and then put the mushrooms on top of the chicken.
- Turn on the crock pot and cook the chicken on high for 4-6 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours, until cooked all the way through and tender.
- If the gravy is not thick enough, make a slurry by adding the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl, and mixing until well combined. Add to the crock pot and stir the gravy until it thickens, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the chicken hot over pasta, mashed potatoes, or rice. You can serve the chicken breasts whole, sliced, or shredded.