Golden, crispy, and dipped in ranch dressing, these air fryer zucchini fries are the perfect snack or appetizer ready in just 20 minutes. With a crispy coating from breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, these tender zucchini fries are irresistible!
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Even though they’re not deep fried, these zucchini fries have the perfect crunch when you bite into them, and they’re packed with rich cheese and zesty Italian seasoning. Here’s why you’re bound to love this recipe:
- Quick & Easy: You only need 20 minutes and a handful of ingredients to make these crispy and perfectly dip-able zucchini fries in air fryer. It’s such an easy recipe to make whenever you’re craving it.
- Healthy: Fried foods aren’t usually very healthy, but thankfully these air fryer zucchini fries are an exception to that rule. Because they’re cooked in an air fryer, they only use a tiny amount of oil, instead of the greasy deep-fried zucchini sticks that you get at restaurants. And of course, they’re vegetables! So this is a healthy recipe that will leave your body, and tastebuds, satisfied.
- Perfect for all occasions: One of the best things about zucchini fries is that you can enjoy them at just any time. They’re a great snack when you need a salty piece of fried food to dip in ranch dressing. They’re a great appetizer before a meal, or an addition to a spread at a party. And they’re even a great veggie side dish to serve alongside any entree.
If you love zucchini as much as we do, make sure to also try our recipes for these healthy chicken zucchini enchiladas, easy and crispy parmesan air fryer zucchini and this southern style sautéed zucchini and squash.
Ingredients Needed For Zucchini Fries in Air Fryer
All the ingredients that you need for crispy air fryer zucchini fries are things you probably already have in your pantry and fridge. For full ingredient amounts and directions, scroll to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Seasonings: Italian Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper.
- Italian Breadcrumbs: If you only have Panko breadcrumbs then they will work too, but Italian breadcrumbs work best for this recipe.
- Parmesan Cheese: For best results, use freshly grated cheese.
- Avocado Spray: You can use a different high-heat nonstick cooking spray if you prefer.
- Lemon: This is an optional garnish.
- Sauces For Dipping: Ranch dip, Cajun style remoulade sauce, or this spicy bang bang sauce are all great options!
How to Make Zucchini Fries In Air Fryer
If you can slice zucchini, dip it into eggs, and then coat it in breadcrumbs, you will sail right through this easy recipe for zucchini fries in air fryer! Head to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for detailed instructions on how to make this easy-to-dip finger food.
- Prep: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F and set up a breading station by putting seasonings and flour in a ziplock bag, beating eggs in a bowl, and mixing breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese in another bowl.
- Season and Coat: Cover the zucchini thoroughly with flour and seasonings, then dip in beaten eggs, and coat with cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Air Fry: Spray the air fryer basket and place the zucchini sticks in it. Fry until golden brown and crunchy.
- Serve: Eat the zucchini fries while still hot, with lemon wedges and your favorite dipping sauce.
Tips and Tricks
This 20-minute appetizer couldn’t be easier to make, but here are a few tips for when you make zucchini fries in the air fryer.
- Cut Evenly: It’s really important that you cut your zucchini sticks into similarly-sized pieces. If your zucchini fries are all different sizes, they will not cook at the same rate. As a result, some of the fries will be undercooked and some will be overcooked.
- Don’t Crowd: Make sure that the zucchini fries are not touching each other and they are laid in a single layer in the air fryer basket. The fries need space for the air to circulate around them on all sides, or else they won’t be able to get crispy and crunchy. If you can’t fit all your zucchini sticks in the air fryer basket, cook them in batches.
- Add Lemon: Lemon is an optional ingredient in this recipe, but we strongly recommend it. Squeezing some fresh lemon juice over the top of these air fried zucchini sticks takes them to a whole new level. You can also sprinkle additional parmesan cheese on top for added saltiness and richness.
- Wet Hand, Dry Hand Method: Breading fried food can be really messy, so we like to use the wet hand, dry hand method. That means using one hand for the wet ingredients, and another for the dry ingredients. Use your dry hand to coat the zucchini in flour and seasonings, and to place it in the egg wash. Then use your wet hand to coat the zucchini in the eggs, and move it to the breadcrumbs. Use your dry hand again to remove the zucchini from the breadcrumb mixture. This will keep your hands from becoming a total mess, and it will keep the mixtures from getting clumpy.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Fried Zucchini
Our favorite way to serve crispy and cheesy air fryer zucchini fries is dipped in ranch dressing. It’s such a classic combination! But these hot and golden brown appetizers are also great with any other creamy sauce. If you are looking for more fun ways to serve this fried zucchini, check out our suggestions below:
- More Party Appetizers: If your air fryer is already out, you might as well also make a batch of these amazing air fryer fried pickles or these easy air fryer chicken chicken wings. These pulled pork nachos are also always a big crowd pleaser.
- Make A Complete Dinner: These garlic butter shrimp would pair perfectly with these crispy zucchini fries, but so would this perfectly cooked, juicy skirt steak. If you are feeling like a lighter meal, this blackened mahi mahi or garlic parmesan chicken would also make a great pairing!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
While you can save leftovers and they reheat decently well, they’re definitely best when eaten hot and fresh. Air fryer zucchini sticks can be store in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply put them back in the air fryer at 400°F for 2-3 minutes, until warmed through. We do not recommend trying to freeze zucchini fries as they will become overly soggy once thawed.
More Easy Air Fried Snacks
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- 3-4 small (or 2 large) zucchini, sliced into sticks and patted dry
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Avocado spray, or other nonstick spray
- Lemon wedges, for an optional garnish
- Sauce for dipping, like ranch dip or remoulade sauce
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F.
- Add the flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a gallon size ziplock bag. Close the bag and shake until well blended.
- Add eggs to a small bowl and whisk until the yolks are broken.
- In a separate bowl, add the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, stirring until blended.
- Add the zucchini sticks to the ziploc bag and shake, move the bag and shake well, making sure to fully coating each stick. It is easier to do this in batches to make sure that the flour sticks to the zucchini.
- Remove zucchini from the ziplock bag and place a few at a time in the egg to coat the zucchini with egg wash. Then immediately place in the breadcrumbs, coat on all sides with the breadcrumbs, and set aside.
- Once you have all the zucchini fries coated and ready, spray the air fryer with avocado oil. Place fries into the air fryer basket and mist with more avocado oil. (Depending on the size of your air fryer, you will want to fry these in batches so that you do not overcrowd the air fryer basket.)
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crunchy and golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce and/or lemon wedges.