This sweet, spicy, and creamy Bang Bang Sauce is the perfect sauce for seafood, meat, and even veggies! If you’re looking to spice up your next meal, you’ve got to whip up a batch of homemade Bang Bang Sauce.
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
Bang bang sauce is a sweet and spicy sauce that is the perfect drizzle for a variety of different seafoods, meats, and appetizers. You’ve probably heard of the Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grill, and if you think this sauce is the same, you’d be correct. However, we think the homemade version is even better!
This sauce is famous for coating Bonefish Grill’s popular Bang Bang Shrimp, but you can whip it up and use it on pretty much anything to add a sweet and spicy kick. It’s sweet and savory made with mayo, sweet chili sauce, sriracha, and garlic.
This sauce is the perfect addition to homemade Bang Bang Shrimp or Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp. The shrimp itself is great but the sauce makes it over the top delicious. We always make a double batch to have some extra sauce to serve during the week with any roasted vegetables, it adds so much flavor and makes vegetables anything but boring.
Let’s dive right in, I promise it’s a breeze to make!
Bang Bang Sauce Ingredients
There are a variety of different bang bang sauce recipes, but we think ours is the best and closest to the popular sauce at Bonefish. We use a combination of sweet and spicy ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- Mayonnaise: This is what gives the sauce the creamy texture. It also helps to neutralize the heat. I promise you won’t taste the mayonnaise in this dip if you aren’t a mayo fan!
- Sweet chili sauce: We use Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce, but you can use any sweet chili sauce brand.
- Sriracha: This is another hot sauce made from a paste of chili peppers. You can use this or your favorite hot sauce.
- Rice vinegar: If you don’t have rice vinegar, you can get a similar mid vinegar such as apple cider vinegar in a pinch.
- Minced garlic: I mince 1 fresh garlic clove and it adds the perfect amount of garlic flavor.
How to Make Bang Bang Sauce
When I said this recipe was easy, I wasn’t kidding! Literally, this will be one of the simplest things you have ever made in your life.
Mix Everything together: Mix the mayonnaise, chili sauce, sriracha, rice vinegar, and garlic together in a mixing bowl. Whisk it until everything is combined. You can use a whisk or even a fork to whisk the ingredients together.
Refrigerate: Cover the sauce with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for up to 7 days. You can refrigerate it in the mixing bowl or you can add it to a mason jar or plastic tupperware.
That’s it! I told you it was the easiest recipe you’ve ever made. Just make sure to thoroughly combine all the ingredients and let it sit in the fridge so that the flavors meld together. If you can do that, you will have the best tasting Bang Bang sauce!
Recipe Tips For Success
- Taste it. Once your sauce is done, do a taste test. Make sure it is to your liking. If it is too spicy, add a little more mayo to cut some of the heat.
- Add honey. If you like it to be a little less of a kick and a little more sweet, add 2 teaspoons of honey to your sauce.
- Be sure to refrigerate. The sauce can be enjoyed right away, but it is even better if you make the sauce ahead and let all the ingredients meld together for a few hours or days!
Why Is It Called Bang Bang Sauce?
Bang bang sauce gives you a bang of spiciness, but that’s not why it’s called bang bang sauce. Actually, the name came around because the sauce was used on small pieces of meat that were cut with the “bang-bang” of the cleaver. Thus, this delicious sauce was born as a topping for meat and vegetables of all kinds.
What Can I Use Bang Bang Sauce For?
You can use this sauce on a variety of different foods. Some of the most popular include shrimp, chicken, and broccoli. If you are looking for some recipes to try it on, here are a few:
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp: This is what this sauce is destined for! Or, try this classically fried Bang Bang Shrimp on the stovetop!
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs: Use bang bang sauce instead of BBQ!
- Steak Kabobs in the Air Fryer
- Grilled Okra: It makes a perfect dip for grilled okra!
- Fried Shrimp: This sauce is also great along side some fried shrimp for dipping!
Or, you can drizzle a little on any dish you want to add a kick to. I love using it as dipping sauce for just about any roasted vegetable!
How to Store Bang Bang Sauce
Store your bang bang sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I like to use a mason jar for easy storage. This sauce is good for about 7-days in the fridge.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, chili sauce, sriracha, rice vinegar and garlic.
- Whisk until everything is combined.
- Refrigerate for up to 7 days. Serve as desired.
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 0g
Other Homemade Seasonings + Sauces To Try
If you like making your own homemade seasonings and sauces, check out some of these other easy recipes: