Tender bites of steak and perfectly cooked vegetables are ready in 30 minutes or less with these easy Air Fryer Steak Kabobs. The steak is seared on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside, while the vegetables are roasted to perfection!
Air Fryer Steak Kabobs
Tender steak and perfectly roasted vegetables make these Air Fryer Shish Kabobs an easy go to weeknight dinner. We used top sirloin and fresh vegetables, on our skewers, with a little olive oil and steak seasoning. These healthy and flavorful steak kabobs are easy to put together, but they taste like you spent hours working on them!
For some of us, grilling can be a little overwhelming. Let’s face it, not everyone is good at using the outdoor grill. But when you use the air fryer in place of a grill, it takes all of the guess work out of cooking dinner! You never have to worry about the weather or if you have charcoal or gas for the grill, making these an easy go to dinner anytime. And we never have to worry about putting out the flames…..joking…..mostly. 😉
You only need a handful of ingredients to toss these steak kabobs together and get them into the air fryer to cook in just about 10 to 12 minutes. They are so easy to make and with a few easy tips you will be enjoying perfectly juicy and tender steak bites with roasted veggies in no time!
What is the Best Air Fryer?
Air fryers come in two different styles. The more popular type has a drawer/basket that slides in the front and usually doesn’t require preheating. The second type looks like a toaster oven and opens with a door, like a mini version of a regular oven.
We have personally tried a few different styles of air fryers and these are our three favorites. Depending on your budget and air fryer style preference, you should find one that will work for you below:
- Large Budget Friendly Basket Style: 8 Qt Gourmia Air Fryer
- Best Large Basket Air Fryer: Power XL 10 Qt Air Fryer
- Toaster Oven Style Air Fryer: Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven
You will only need 6 simple ingredients to make these Air Fryer Steak Kabobs:
- Steak: You can use any cut you prefer that is sliced into 2 to 3 inch chunks. We used top sirloin and have also used a tenderloin, both were delicious.
- Oil: olive oil or avocado oil
- Steak Seasoning: we love the Montreal steak seasoning from McCormick. It’s classic and has great flavor.
- Zucchini: cut into 1 inch pieces
- Purple Onion: cut into 1 inch pieces
- Mini Sweet Bell Peppers: cut in half, seeds removed
Can I use other vegetables?
OF COURSE! This is what we used, but almost any vegetable will be perfect with these steak Shish Kabobs. Here are some other fun suggestions we have used before:
- Yellow Squash
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Corn: cut into 2 inch pieces
How To Make Air Fryer Shish Kabobs
Trim and Cut: Trim and slice the sirloin into 2 to 3 inch chunks.
Season: Lightly rub steak seasoning onto the steak and let it sit on the counter for one hour. If you are short on time, you can cook it right away. We will talk more about this later, but allowing your steak to come to room temperature before cooking will keep it extra tender.
Prep Vegetables: While waiting on the meat, prep your vegetables. You will want to cut your vegetables into 1 inch sized pieces. This helps the vegetables to cook in time without over cooking your steak.
Skewer: Start the skewer with a piece of steak and continue adding vegetables and steak until the skewer is full. We usually do one piece of steak to three pieces of vegetables.
Preheat Air Fryer: Remember to preheat your air fryer to 400°F, if your air fryer requires preheating.
Place: Place the prepared skewers in the air fryer and brush with olive oil. Add steak seasoning to the vegetables and steak, to taste. We obviously like a heavy seasoning!
Cook: Close the air fryer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping half way through the cooking time. Check with a meat thermometer for your level of doneness (more direction on that below).
Wrap In Foil: Once your steak kabobs are cooked to your desired doneness, remove the shish kabobs from the air fryer and wrap them in foil. Allow them to rest for 3-5 minutes, then serve.
How Long To Cook Steak Kabobs In Air Fryer
The air fryer sears the outside of the steak and leaves the inside juicy and tender, but you can easily over cook your steak if not paying attention. It’s important to know how long to cook steak in your air fryer, keeping in mind that all air fryers are not the same.
You should use a meat thermometer to help achieve your level of doneness. Check the steaks after cooking them for 10 – 12 minutes to see if they are at your preferred temperature, or if they need a few more minutes to cook.
Below is a temperature guide for steak:
- Rare: 120°F – 130°F should have a red center
- Medium rare: 130°F – 135°F center should be pink
- Medium: 135°F – 145°F very little pink
Tips For Best Results:
- Do Not Over Cook Your Steak: use a meat thermometer to check your steak. You can always cook your steak longer, but once it’s over cooked, you can not un-cook it!
- Wrap In Foil: Letting the meat rest for about 5 minutes while wrapped in foil, makes them infinitely more tender and juicy! Remember, your steak will continue to cook a little as it rests. I like to remove my kabobs at medium rare and then let them rest. This leaves a perfect nice warm and pink middle!
- Room Temperature Steak: This is an old chef’s trick that we love! Letting the steak come to room temperature before cooking, really helps to keep the steak juicy and tender. If you start with a cold piece of steak and cook it, the outside does not get that great sear. And if you like your steak rare, the inside can still be cold!
Look For More Air Fryer Recipes?
Here are some of our other favorite easy dinner ideas that use an air fryer:
- Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Avocado
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Avocado Tacos
- 2 lbs top sirloin, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 purple onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 15 mini sweet bell peppers, seeds removed and sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Steak seasoning, to taste
- Lightly season steak and let it rest at room temperature for an hour. This is an optional step, but really helps to keep your steak tender!
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F if your air fryer requires pre heating.
- Thread beef and vegetables onto skewers. Start the skewer with a piece of steak and continue adding vegetables and steak until the skewer is full. We usually do one piece of steak followed by three pieces of vegetables. Repeat until skewers are full.
- Place the prepared skewers in the air fryer basket and brush them with olive oil. Add steak seasoning to the vegetables and steak, to taste.
- Cook in air fryer at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping half way through the cooking time. Check with a meat thermometer for your level of doneness.
- Once your steak kabobs are cooked to your desired doneness, remove the shish kabobs from the air fryer and wrap them in foil. Allow them to rest for 3-5 minutes, then serve.
Temperature guide for steak:
Rare: 120°F – 130°F should have a red center
Medium rare: 130°F – 135°F center should be pink
Medium: 135°F – 145°F very little pink
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 663Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 209mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 63g