Our favorite homemade steak seasoning recipe is the perfect blend of simple flavorful seasonings that make your steak flavorful, while still allowing the steak to be the star of the show. Made with simple seasonings you probably already have on hand, this is the best steak seasoning blend!
Why This Is the Best Steak Seasoning Recipe
This homemade steak seasoning has the ideal balance of herbal and umami flavor, perfect for steaks (and almost everything, to be honest). Here’s why you’ll love it:
- Zesty Flavor: You don’t need every jar in your spice rack to get a zesty, bold flavor! With earthy paprika, pungent thyme, and savory garlic and onion, this is guaranteed to make any grilled steak perfectly flavored while still allowing the steak to be the star.
- Easy: No need for specialized or hard-to-find ingredients, we bet you already have all the ingredients you need in your spice rack. Simplicity for the win!
- Versatile: While designed for steak, this seasoning mix can also bring out the best in chicken, pork, seafood, and even vegetarian dishes.
- Customizable: Making your own seasoning blend gives you complete control over the quality and ingredients. You can make it as salty, spicy or herb-y as you like!
What Spices Go Well with Steak?
This steak seasoning is made with common spices that you hopefully already have on hand! For full ingredient amounts and directions, scroll to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Salt and Pepper: We like to use kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to give you the most flavor.
- Paprika: Sweet paprika for a simple, earthy taste, or smoked paprika if you want this to be a slightly smoky seasoning.
- Onions and Garlic: Dried onions and granulated garlic powder are our favorite to add a savory flavor to your steak. That little bit of texture from the dried onion also really adds a lot to your seasoning blend.
- Thyme: Dried thyme adds a light herb taste to your steak, without being overpowering. However, you can use any dried herbs you prefer, like dried rosemary, oregano, etc.
How to Make Steak Seasoning
You practically don’t need instructions for this part – just mix everything up in a small bowl, and then go to town! I usually like to mix mine by shaking it in a jar with a tight-fitting lid (which also doubles as storage, of course).
- Table Salt: Table salt will be saltier than kosher salt or a coarse sea salt. I don’t really recommend it for the best flavor and texture, but if you do use it, you’ll want to use only half the amount called for.
- Check the Dates: Always check the dates on your spices and herbs – older seasonings can be bland or even bitter! Make sure yours are not expired and still have a good aroma and taste.
- Adding Heat: For a little kick, you can also add 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to your dry rub.
- Dried Onion: The minced dried onion flakes are not optional, they add so much flavor and texture! Seriously – don’t skip these! However, if you don’t have the onion flakes, you can substitute them for onion powder in a pinch.
Ways to Use this Spice Blend
This simple steak seasoning is so versatile, you’ll want to sprinkle it over everything. Here are just a few ways to use it:
- Potatoes: These roasted baby potatoes (and any roasted veggies, really) would be great with a shake of this all-purpose steak seasoning.
- Pork Chops: Everyone loves a hearty dinner of baked pork chops, and this seasoning would be the perfect shortcut to flavoring them.
- Kabobs: Take your steak in a surprisingly fun direction with these air fryer steak kabobs! With plenty of fresh veggies, this is a meal everyone will adore.
How to Store
You can store this steak seasoning in a simple glass jar with a lid, a baggie, or any little airtight container. When stored in a cool, dry place, it will retain its flavor for up to a year, or even longer if you store it in the freezer.
More Essential Seasoning Blends
- Pork Chop Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Cajun Seasoning
- Copycat Old Bay Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Blackened Seasoning
- Best Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika, or smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onions
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Add all of the ingredients into a small bowl or jar and mix well.