These Air Fryer Chicken Legs are incredibly easy and fast to make, but you wouldn’t know it by how crispy and juicy they turn out! Coated in seasonings and brushed with your favorite sauce (we use bbq sauce!), your chicken drumsticks will be bursting with flavor!
Table of Contents
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Why cook Chicken Legs in an air fryer?
- Can I use a different sauce? Or can I skip the sauce?
- How to cook chicken legs in air fryer
- Tips for how to make the best Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Can I prep these ahead for a party?
- Turn up the heat!
- What is the Best Air Fryer?
- How long will the legs stay fresh?
- Get the Recipe
- More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Legs
What do you call these? Chicken legs or drumsticks? I have heard them called both, but in this house we call them chicken legs. No matter what you call them, you are going to fall in love with cooking them in the air fryer.
Using the air fryer cuts the cooking time in half when compared to cooking in a traditional oven. Also, with most air fryers you do not have to preheat them, saving even more time! The air fryer also circulates the air around your chicken legs as they cook at a high heat, creating perfectly crispy skin with juicy dark meat underneath!
We give you the perfect basic recipe for Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks to take and make your own. We like to coat these with BBQ Sauce best, but tested it with many different types of sauces. Honey Mustard and Buffalo sauce were our second favorite sauces to flavor our chicken legs with.
Why cook Chicken Legs in an air fryer?
There are so many reasons to use your air fryer! When we first got our air fryer, we weren’t sure how much we would use it. However, it has come in incredibly handy when making easy dinners for our family. We love it so much, we got a second!
Here are a few of the top reasons to use an air fryer to cook your chicken wings:
- Half the time. Chicken legs in the oven take about 40 to 45 minutes to bake at 400°. Chicken legs in the air fryer take just about 18 minutes!
- Crispy Skin. You won’t get crispy skin like this any other way than frying the drumsticks. Air frying requires just a little splash of oil to produce crispy skin because of the hot circulating air and basket design.
- Easy. Toss your wings in your oil and seasonings and into the air fryer they go, no preheating necessary for most air fryers. Bonus: Air fryers are very easy to clean, most you can even put into the dishwasher.
You only need these 7 ingredients to make the perfect air fryer chicken legs. Chances are, you already have most of them in your kitchen. You probably only have to grab some chicken legs!
- Chicken Drumsticks: also called chicken legs, you want the lower leg, not the full leg (which includes the thigh).
- Olive Oil: can also use avocado oil!
- Smoked Paprika: adds great flavor and color, but optional!
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- BBQ Sauce
Can I use a different sauce? Or can I skip the sauce?
Absolutely! You can skip the sauce completely for a great crispy and juicy low carb chicken drumstick recipe. Or you can switch up the sauce to a favorite of yours, these are our favorite sauces we have tried so far:
- Buffalo Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Hot Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
How to cook chicken legs in air fryer
Step 1: Toss together all ingredients — except your sauce of choice — in a large bowl or bag. You want to make sure you rub the chicken legs well with the spices and oil to evenly coat them.
Step 2: Place your drumsticks into the air fryer basket or tray, making sure they don’t overlap and they aren’t touching.
Step 3: Cook in air fryer set to 400°F for 15 minutes.
Step 4: Flip the legs and continue cooking for 5 minutes more.
Step 5: Brush on your sauce of choice and continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Serve: Serve immediately as is, or with your favorite dipping sauce or sides.
Tips for how to make the best Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Don’t crowd the basket. It is important that your drumsticks are in one even layer and do not over lap each other or touch. This ensures an even cooking and crispy exteriors!
- Do not overcook. If you overcook your legs they will become dry and will no longer be tender inside. If you are not sure if they are done, use a meat thermometer to make sure they have reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Preheat Air Fryer? Most air fryers do not require preheating. However, please read your manual to know if your air fryer does need to be pre-heated. Follow manufactures instructions if it does to require best results!
- Dry your chicken legs. Make sure your chicken legs are not wet an are dry. Any water that is left on your chicken will steam the chicken and produce a different texture to the chicken skin. So if your chicken is wet, make sure you pat it with paper towels until dry.
Can I prep these ahead for a party?
YES! These are a great prep ahead party food or game day food. You can season the legs up to a couple of days ahead of time and store them in an airtight container in the fridge or even freeze them. If you freeze them, make sure to let them thaw fully before cooking.
When I prep them ahead, I toss them all together in a ziplock bag with the seasonings and then store them in that same ziplock bag. Super simple and easy!
Turn up the heat!
These chicken legs are perfectly seasoned with a little touch of light heat from the crushed red pepper. If you want these wings to be extra hot and spicy, I would double (or triple) the crushed red pepper depending on how much heat you like.
You can also sprinkle in some cayenne pepper too, if you really want to turn up the heat way up! Or toss these drumsticks in your favorite hot sauce upon coming out of the air fryer!
What is the Best Air Fryer?
Air fryers come in two different styles. The more popular type has a drawer/basket that slides in the front and usually doesn’t require preheating. The second type looks like a toaster oven and opens with a door, like a mini version of a regular oven.
We have tried a few different air fryers and these are our three favorites depending on your budget and air fryer style preference:
- Budget Friendly: Gourmia Air Fryer
- Best Basket Air Fryer: Cosori Air Fryer XL
- Toaster Oven Style Air Fryer: Power XL Air Fryer
How long will the legs stay fresh?
Once cooked, these crispy air fryer wings will stay fresh at room temperature for about 3 hours. If you’re serving them at a party, they’re a perfect finger food!
In an airtight container in the fridge, these wings will last for up to 4 days. To reheat, you can use your air fryer, or the oven.
If you love chicken legs, you really have to try these air fryer chicken legs! They cook in half the time, when compared to an oven, and are way crispier. If you love this recipe, don’t miss our easy Air Fryer Chicken Wings also!
If you are looking for more easy game day eats to serve in addition to these air fryer chicken legs, we really recommend these reader favorites:
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Best Pulled Pork
- Chili Mac: just 5 ingredients
- Crockpot Shredded Beef: serve it as roast beef sliders for a party
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (or your sauce of choice!)
1. Place drumsticks in a large bowl or gallon size ziplock bag. Add olive oil, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and red pepper flakes. Toss chicken drumsticks to coat.
2. Line drumsticks in air fryer tray making sure they don’t overlap and they aren’t touching.
3. Cook in air fryer set to 400°F for 15 minutes. Flip the legs and continue cooking for 5 minutes more.
4. Brush on BBQ sauce and continue for an additional 3 minutes. Serve immediately!
We used a 6 quart air fryer and it can easily fit 6 to 8 standard sized chicken drumsticks.
Serving Size:1 drumstick
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for more ways to use your air fryer? We are obsessed with our air fryer and how quickly and easily it cooks things. Here are a few reader favorites using the air fryer: