This Classic Cornbread recipe is one of the easiest and most delicious quick breads you’ll ever make! It’s completely homemade by using ingredients you already have in your pantry.
An Easy Cornbread Recipe
There’s just something so comforting about a dense, warm piece of cornbread with a dollop of butter and a drizzle of honey. Ah, and don’t forget a few specks of sea salt! It’s the perfect sweet and savory bite. This easy Classic Cornbread is the best recipe for this old-fashioned quick bread.
We love to make cornbread as a side dish when we simply can’t think of anything else. Plus, the leftovers are good for breakfast or a snack. The kids just eat it right up!
It’s really easy to keep the ingredients you need for this recipe on hand. All you need is cornmeal, flour, sugar, and a few other baking essentials. Then it’s as simple as mixing everything into a bowl and then baking the bread. Everyone is going to be so excited when they see you pull this decadent quick bread out of the oven!
Why You’ll Love This Homemade Cornbread
This is our favorite recipe for Classic Cornbread and here’s why:
- No special trips to the store. The recipe requires very basic baking ingredients that we usually have on hand anyways. So, it’s always an easy decision to make this recipe.
- It’s ready in under 30 minutes. We mean it when we say “quick bread”! This bread doesn’t need to proof before baking making it so fast and easy.
- It’s the perfect side dish and snack. We love the sweet and savory aspect of this bread which makes it a great pairing for so many recipes. And it’s a delicious afternoon snack, too!
The list is very basic for this recipe – which makes it even better! Here is what you need to make our Classic Cornbread.
- Cornmeal: This is the only ingredient that you might not already have in the pantry. We like to buy a big bag at the store so it’s always on hand.
- All Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar: You could also use honey.
- Baking Powder
- Salt: We like to use kosher salt for this recipe.
- Whole Milk: Buttermilk is also a great option.
- Butter: We used unsalted butter for this recipe. So if you use salted butter, be sure to decrease the amount of salt you put in the bowl.
How to Make Cornbread
Here are the quick and easy steps for making this Classic Cornbread recipe.
First, preheat the oven and grease a baking dish. We like to use a small square baking dish for this recipe.
Next, add the dry ingredients to a bowl. Making sure that you carefully measure all of the ingredients.
Then stir everything together with a whisk or fork. This will gently incorporate everything which will result in a perfectly baked cornbread.
Then add the liquid ingredients. You can combine the liquid ingredients first and this way you won’t overmix the cornbread batter.
Mix everything until the ingredients are combined. Keep in mind it’s ok if the batter is lumpy. Then, after mixing, pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
Bake for 15-18 minutes. You’ll know the cornbread is done when a toothpick comes out clean from the bread.
Let the bread rest before serving. You want to do this because the bread will fall apart and become crumby if you slice it too quickly.
Tips for Success
Some helpful tips for making this Classic Cornbread recipe are below!
- Add more butter flavor. Buttering the pan helps to give the cornbread a more buttery flavor. And who doesn’t love more butter flavor?!
- Make the bread sweeter. You can add more sugar if you desire a sweeter cornbread. Alternatively, you can also use honey or maple syrup.
- The ultimate buttery topping: When you pull the cornbread from the oven, slather the top with butter wait 5 minutes then slice and serve. Yum!! Plus, butter and honey are always delicious toppings on cornbread! We also like to add a few specs of sea salt, too.
- For sweet and spicy flavor: Add 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeños for a flavorful kick. If you want it spicy, use the entire jalapeño – seeds and all. And top that jalapeño cornbread with a little butter and honey it’s the best of both worlds – sweet and spicy!
What to Serve with Classic Cornbread
Here are some of our favorite recipes to pair with cornbread.
- Chili: It’s no secret that cornbread and chili pair well together! We suggest trying our Crockpot Mexican White Chicken Chili.
- Soup: We also think that this cornbread is a great side for some of our favorite soups like Instant Pot Taco Soup and Salsa Verde Chicken Soup.
- Mexican Food: Pair cornbread with our Easy Crockpot Mexican Chicken for a great weeknight meal idea!
- BBQ: And, of course, cornbread goes great with anything at a BBQ! We love to serve it with our Country Style Ribs.
How to Store Leftovers
You can store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
Can I Freeze This?
Freezing homemade cornbread is easy! Simply wrap in plastic wrap, label, and then store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Homemade Classic Cornbread
Classic Cornbread is an easy quick bread that can be made with basic pantry ingredients. This dense and delicious side dish takes just 30 minutes to make!
- 1 ½ cups fine yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar (or honey)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter an 8” or 9” baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk to combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the milk, egg and butter. Stir until combined, but do not over stir. Cornbread batter will be slightly lumpy. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Let cornbread rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Storage: You can store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g