This incredibly flavorful Salsa Verde Chicken Soup is an EASY crockpot (or instant pot) recipe that takes just a few minutes of work for an easy dinner. Tender bites of chicken, salsa verde, white beans and corn make this soup both filling and so tasty!
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
Our favorite Salsa Verde Chicken Soup taste like you chopped, simmered and stirred that soup pot all day, but instead you only spent 5 minutes working and let the crockpot do all the work!
The secret to all that flavor is in the jar of salsa verde sauce. Salsa verde brings a unique, delicious, mild heat to this chicken soup that really elevates it to another level. Salsa verde is made with tomatillos, instead of traditional red tomatoes, giving it a unique flavor. You can use a spicy or mild salsa verde depending on your flavor preference.
This Salsa Verde Chicken Soup is so easy to toss together and put in a crockpot and then go about your day. I also included steps to use your instant pot OR to meal prep this soup for an easy dinner later.
So let’s get cooking and let the crockpot (or instant pot!) do the work for dinner tonight with this Salsa Verde Chicken Soup!
What is Salsa Verde
Salsa Verde is a spicy, tangy, green sauce made with tomatillos, peppers, onions, lime and cilantro. When you buy Salsa Verde make sure and read the ingredients look for the one that doesn’t add sugar and other unnecessary ingredients.
Is this soup healthy?
Yes! It is! It is a naturally gluten free recipe, loaded with veggies, good protein and overall low in fat. You can also add healthy fats on top, with the optional sour cream and avocado.
This recipe, without sour cream as a topping, is a zero point dinner recipe on weight watchers. Or, if you skip the beans and corn, it also fits into a low carb lifestyle as well!
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup does not need a lot of ingredients to make it delicious!
- Salsa Verde
- Cannellini beans
- Corn (fresh, canned or frozen)
- Taco seasoning – you know we love our homemade taco seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Boneless Chicken breast or thighs!
Can I use a different kind of beans?
Yes! I recommend any mild white bean. You can use any of the following canned beans:
- White Kidney Beans
- White Navy Beans
- Garbanzo Beans
- Black Beans
Optional Additional Ingredients / Toppings
- Cilantro: you can use as a garnish
- Avocado / Guacamole: use as a topping
- Shredded Cheese: we used shredded mozzarella
- Fresh Lime: squeeze a slice of lime over your bowl for a little extra zestyness
- Sour Cream
Vegetarian? Not a problem! Just replace the chicken with extra beans and use a good vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
This is one of those great easy crockpot recipes where all you have to do is dump everything into the crockpot and turn it on. It couldn’t get any easier!
Follow these easy steps below for perfect Salsa Verde Chicken Soup every time:
Step 1: Spray your crockpot with a little non-stick spray.
Step 2: Add the salsa verde, cannellini beans, corn, diced onion, garlic, taco seasoning and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
Step 3: Set crockpot to cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Step 4: Once the chicken is cooked through and tender, remove the chicken breast and use two forks to shred the meat.
Step 5: Add the chicken back to the crockpot and stir to combine. Garnish with whatever toppings you prefer and serve!
Can I prep this Salsa Verde Chicken Soup ahead?
Absolutely! Mornings can be very hectic, so I often prep this recipe the night before. It’s extra easy to do and you can’t tell any difference in the final dish.
To meal prep this recipe ahead: Place all of the ingredients in the crockpot. Cover the crockpot and place the entire pot in the refrigerator. Store for up to 24 hours. Then in the morning, or the next day, all you have to do is remember to turn on the crockpot!
Can I meal prep this recipe and freeze it?
Of course! This is also a great recipe if you are meal prepping ahead for a big life event for easy dinners.
Place all ingredients in a ziplock bag, shake it well to mix it all together and then lay it flat in your freezer. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Two days before you are ready to cook this Salsa Verde Chicken Soup, move the bag to the refrigerator. It will thaw in 48 hours or less and then you can pop it into your crockpot to cook as directed in the recipe!
We love leftover soup as it is almost always better the second time around. Refrigerate leftovers in a airtight container for up to 5 days.
To freeze, place soup in a ziplock bag and remove all the air possible. Lay flat in the freezer (to save on freezer space) and freeze until ready to use!
If the broth is too thick, add some additional chicken broth while reheating. Try adding one cup at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
This Salsa Verde Chicken Soup is bursting with flavor, but you would never know it by how easy it is to whip up. I love making soups, just for the leftovers alone! I usually double this recipe to have enough for lunches the rest of the week. It’s just that good!
- 1 (12 oz) jar salsa verde (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 oz frozen corn
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 oz packet taco seasoning
- 1 quart (32 oz) chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh lime juice
- Crockpot: Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Place all ingredients into slow cooker besides chicken breasts. Stir to combine. Place chicken breasts in soup mixture.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred chicken meat. Return to crockpot and stir to combine. Serve with toppings of choice and enjoy!
- Instant Pot: Place all ingredients into instant pot besides chicken breasts. Stir to combine. Place chicken breasts in soup mixture.
- Seal the pressure cooker with the lid. Select Manual (or Pressure Cook button depending on your instant pot model) and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Don’t forget, it will take about 10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure and then the timer to start counting down.
- When the cook time finishes, do a manual pressure release: turn the steam release knob to Venting to release any remaining pressure and open the lid. Remove chicken from instant pot and shred chicken meat. Return chicken to soup and stir to combine. Serve with toppings of choice and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 581mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 47g