This creamy crockpot chicken enchilada soup is a hearty and healthy soup full of tender chicken, tangy green chiles, hearty beans and all your favorite Mexican spices. With just 5 minutes of prep needed, it’s a perfect easy weeknight dinner!
Table of Contents
- Why You Will Love This Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- Ingredients Needed
- How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Tips and Tricks
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store and Reheat Leftover Green Enchilada Chicken Soup
- Can This Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup Be Frozen?
- More Easy Crockpot Recipes
- Get the Recipe
Why You Will Love This Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
This slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is everything you love about green chile chicken enchiladas, but in soup form! It is the perfect recipe for when you need a hearty and comforting meal, but are craving enchiladas. Here’s why we love this recipe so much.
- Easy: All you have to do is add some ingredients to your crockpot, let it cook for a few hours, then shred the chicken and stir in the cheese. You can practically make this in your sleep!
- Healthy: This crock pot enchilada soup is rich and creamy, thanks to a block of cream cheese. But despite that, it’s still a super healthy dinner. It’s packed full of tender, lean chicken, and with two kinds of beans for a good dose of protein and fiber.
- Flavorful: This easy soup get it’s amazing flavor from the green chiles, enchilada sauce and Mexican seasonings. Add in the cream cheese, to balance the tangy heat, and then you have an irresistibly creamy and savory chicken enchilada soup!
- Great For Parties: This hearty soup is a perfect easy meal to serve at parties. There are a million different fun and flavorful toppings that you can put on this soup, so you can fill a table with garnishes and let everyone make their own bowl. The recipe will stay warm for hours in the crockpot, so you can serve it all day!
You only need 8 simple ingredients to make this spicy, chile-packed enchilada soup with juicy shredded chicken. For full ingredient amounts and directions, scroll to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
For the Soup:
- Chicken Breasts: Make sure to use skinless and boneless breasts.
- Taco Seasoning: You can use store-bought taco seasoning or try our favorite homemade taco seasoning!
- Diced Green Chiles: These are more tangy than spicy, they add flavor more than they add heat.
- Green Enchilada Sauce: We like to use green enchilada sauce, however you can use red if you prefer!
- Beans: We use a can of pinto beans and a can of black beans, rinsed and drained. You can use any types of canned beans you prefer, or just one type.
- Chicken Stock
- Cream Cheese: You can use regular cream cheese or the low-fat cream cheese.
- Avocados: You can slice or dice the avocados.
- Sour Cream: Mexican crema also works great.
- Cheese: We recommend shredded Monterey Jack or crumbled queso fresco.
- Lime Juice: Always use freshly-squeezed juice.
- Sliced Radishes
- Tortilla Strips or Chips
- Lime Wedges
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup
This creamy green chile chicken soup is so easy to make, it seriously only takes 5 minutes of work on your part and the slow cooker does the rest! Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for full detailed instructions.
- Mix: Put the chicken in the crockpot and season with taco seasoning. Pour the beans, chicken broth, chiles, and enchilada sauce on top and stir to combine.
- Cook: Turn the slow cooker on and cook the soup on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Finish: Add the cream cheese, and shred the chicken until the cheese is melted and all combined.
- Serve: Eat the soup while hot, topped with your favorite garnishes.
Tips and Tricks
Hearty and healthy chicken enchilada soup in the crockpot is one of the easiest meals you’ll ever make, but here are a few tips to make it even easier and more delicious.
- Soft Cream Cheese: Make sure to take your cream cheese out of the fridge early enough that it’s warmed up to room temperature by the time you use it. Room-temperature cream cheese will melt much more quickly and easily in the crockpot. If you forget to set out the cream cheese, you can always microwave it in 30 second bursts until soft!
- Make Your Own Seasoning: If you really want to take this Mexican soup to the next level, you can make your own taco seasoning instead of using a store-bought packet. Making your own lets you be in charge of the sodium count, spice level and there are no preservatives or additives. Check out our super easy recipes for Homemade Taco Seasoning or try our Chicken Taco Seasoning!
- Adjust The Heat: Hatch green chiles and green enchilada sauce both come in mild, medium, and hot varieties, so you can easily adjust the spice level to fit your taste. We used mild enchilada sauce and mild green chiles to keep this soup family friendly.
- Add More Veggies: This is a great recipe to make if you need to empty out your veggie bin because you can put almost any vegetables in it. It’s especially good with corn, carrots, zucchini, or roasted tomatoes. Adding veggies increases the flavor, and also makes this chicken enchilada soup healthier.
This cozy and creamy enchilada soup is delicious all on its own! However, if you are looking for some sides or appetizers to bulk up your meal, here are a few good options:
- Appetizers: This fresh corn salsa, fruity mango salsa, or easy guacamole would all be great along side this soup with some tortilla chips! If you are feeling extra cheesy, this easy chili con queso is always a crowd favorite.
- Sides: This easy Mexican corn salad would be light and refreshing, but a side of cilantro lime rice would be great as well. You could even add a little rice to the bottom of your bowl and pour the soup right on top.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Green Enchilada Chicken Soup
If you have leftover green chile enchilada soup, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the crockpot, on the stove over medium heat, or in the microwave on 80% power in 30-second increments.
Can This Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup Be Frozen?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this spicy crockpot Mexican soup. Make sure the soup is completely cool, then store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. For best results, let the soup thaw in the fridge for 24 hours before reheating.
More Easy Crockpot Recipes
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Stuffing
- Crockpot French Onion Chicken
- Crockpot Cabbage and Sausage
- Crockpot Chili
- Crockpot Sloppy Joes
Chicken Enchilada Soup
For the Soup:
- Avocados, sliced or diced
- Sour cream, or Mexican crema
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, or crumbled queso fresco
- Lime juice, fresh-squeezed
- Sliced radishes
- Lime wedges
- Tortilla strips, or chips
- Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Place chicken breasts in crockpot and sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top.
- Add the green chiles, enchilada sauce, pinto beans, black beans and chicken broth, stir until combined. Place lid on the crockpot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high 3 to 4 hours, until chicken is cooked through and easily shreds.
- About 30 minutes before you are ready to serve, set the cubed cream cheese on the counter to get to room temperature.
- When you are ready to serve add cream cheese to the crockpot and use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir until the cheese is melted and well combined.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings.