This flavorful Crockpot French Onion Chicken recipe uses only 5 ingredients to make extra juicy chicken smothered in caramelized onion gravy with melted cheese on top! Bonus: it happens to also be a low carb recipe!
Easy Crockpot French Onion Chicken
This Crockpot French Onion Chicken recipe is one that the entire family is going to love. Not only is it super simple with only 5 ingredients, but your crockpot literally takes over and does all the work for you. It is also a low carb recipe with only 10 net carbs per serving. This French Onion Chicken is so easy and packed with great flavor, I know it will go into your weekly dinner rotation!
This recipe came together by what I had in the pantry. I had no idea if it was going to work out, but I knew this recipe was going to be a hit the minute that I started adding in the ingredients and smelled them all cooking. The house filled with such a wonderful smell I just couldn’t wait for it to be done cooking!
We were all sold by how moist and tender this easy chicken recipe was the first time I made it. But to be honest, it was the french onion flavor and melted cheese on top that won me completely over. It’s beyond delicious and going to be an instant family favorite!
What to serve with French Onion Chicken?
There are a lot of options and it depends on if you would like to keep this a low carb meal or not. Here are a few of my favorites!
Low Carb Side Recommendations:
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Roasted Broccoli or Brussel Sprouts
- Green Beans
- Side Salad
Traditional Side Recommendations:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Crusty Bread (to soak up the sauce)
Just 5 Ingredients
This recipe needs only 5 simple ingredients! You’re going to be very pleased with how easy this chicken dish is to make. Just gather up the ingredients listed below to get started!
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Yellow onion, sliced
- Can condensed french onion soup
- Lipton Onion Soup & Dip Mix
- Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
Can I use another cut of chicken?
Yes! You can use boneless chicken thighs if you have them on hand and prefer to use them, however I personally prefer a large chicken breast instead. It holds up perfectly in the sauce and is easy to transfer to a casserole dish to melt the cheese on top.
I don’t like Swiss cheese, what else can I use?
To keep it most similar to French Onion Soup, I recommend you use a cheese like the classic gruyere cheese. However gruyere cheese can get expensive and isn’t sold in slices, so that’s where Swiss cheese comes in. If you really don’t like Swiss cheese and can’t get gruyere instead, you can also use provolone or mozzarella.
How to make french onion chicken in the crockpot:
Prepare: Spray a large crockpot with nonstick spray. Arrange chicken breast in an even layer on the bottom of the crockpot.
Combine: Layer sliced onions on top of the chicken and sprinkle with Lipton onion soup & dip mix. Pour French onion soup on top and place lid on the slow cooker.
Cook: Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Preheat: Preheat broiler and grease a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Arrange: Remove whole chicken breasts and place them in an oven-safe casserole dish. Scoop out any leftover cooked onions and arrange those on top of the chicken.
Serve: Top each chicken breast with cheese and broil until melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately!
Tips for the best crockpot chicken!
- Don’t skimp on any of the ingredients! Since there are only 5 ingredients in this whole recipe, each one is super important to have correct. Although, if you love cheese, you can always add in more. I’m a firm believer that you can never have too much cheese!
- Do not shred your chicken, keep the breasts whole. If you shred the chicken, it will become too salty. Cooked in the sauce the chicken will have great seasoning and flavor, but if you shred the meat it will absorb too much of the sauce and it will become salty fast!
- Melting the cheese on top makes a big difference to the final dish. It only takes a couple of minutes to pop the chicken under the broiler to melt the cheese and it makes this dish so much more French Onion Soup-y!
How to store leftovers:
If you happen to have any leftovers of this chicken, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or oven as desired!
This Crockpot French Onion Chicken is the perfect easy dinner idea for a quick weeknight meal or an easy dinner recipe to serve and impress guests. Serve it with a fresh salad and a glass of white wine and you will have a restaurant worthy dinner in minutes!
Leave a review or comment below letting us know how this French Onion Chicken recipe turns out for you! We hope you will love it as much as we do!
Looking for more easy crockpot recipes?
- Best Pulled Pork
- 5-Ingredient Crockpot Mexican Chicken
- Crockpot Shredded Beef makes the best roast beef sliders!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (10.5 oz) can condensed french onion soup
- 1 (1 oz) envelope Lipton Onion Soup & Dip Mix
- 4-6 thick slices gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Spray a large crockpot with non stick spray. Arrange chicken breast in an even layer on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Layer sliced onions on top of chicken and sprinkle with Lipton onion soup & dip mix. Pour french onion soup on top and place lid on slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Preheat broiler and grease a casserole dish with non stick spray.
- Remove whole chicken breasts and place in an oven safe casserole dish. Scoop out any leftover cooked onions and arrange those on top of the chicken. Add a little of the broth to the casserole dish, about 1/3 cup.
- Top each chicken breast with Swiss cheese and broil until melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately!
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 471Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 341mgCarbohydrates: 11gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 53g