These show stopping French Onion Sautéed Mushrooms are perfect served on top of a big juicy steak, or as an easy side dish, and only take 10 minutes to make! Sautéed in butter, garlic, and delicious french onion soup mix, these mushrooms are seriously irresistible!
Easy French Onion Sautéed Mushrooms
These French Onion Sautéed Mushroom start with sliced baby portobello mushrooms that are quickly sautéed in butter, garlic, and Lipton onion soup mix. Ready in just 10 minutes and packed with an insane amount of flavor, these sautéed mushrooms can’t be beat!
The French onion soup mix creates a savory sauce that sticks perfectly to the mushrooms giving them all that French onion flavor. These sautéed mushrooms are perfect just as they are as a side dish, but they really shine served on top of a tender steak, chicken breast or pork!
I’m always looking for quick, easy, and delicious side dish recipes and these sautéed mushrooms definitely fit that bill! They are super easy to make and only take about 10-minutes from start to finish. So, if you’re looking for an easy, healthy side dish to whip up for dinner, you can’t go wrong with these quick and easy sautéed mushrooms!
Sautéed Mushroom Ingredients
You will only need 5-main ingredients for this recipe most of which you probably already have. Here’s what you need to get started:
- Baby Portobello Mushrooms: You can slice your own or buy pre-sliced, just make sure you are using fresh portobello mushrooms.
- Olive oil: You can also use vegetable oil, avocado oil, canola oil, or coconut oil.
- Butter: You want to use unsalted butter since the onion soup mix already has a lot of salt.
- Minced Garlic: Fresh garlic that you mince yourself (or press with a garlic press) will give you the most amount of flavor.
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix: You only need 1.5 tablespoons which is about half of the 2 ounce packet. Save the rest of the packet for the next time you make these mushrooms!
- Optional: You can also add black pepper to taste.
How to Make French Onion Sautéed Mushrooms
With just a few minutes to prep, these Sautéed mushrooms are ready to serve in just 10-minutes. If you use pre-sliced mushrooms you will save even more prep time!
Melt the butter: First, in a medium sized skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil together.
Sauté the mushrooms: Next, add the mushrooms to the skillet. Sauté the mushrooms for about 3-minutes or until they begin to soften. The mushrooms will release their own juices as they cook down.
Add the garlic and soup mix: Once the mushrooms have started to soften, add the minced garlic and dry onion soup mix. Stir well to combine.
Cook till tender: Then, continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms are fork tender.
Do a taste test: You won’t need any more salt, but taste the mushrooms and add black pepper if you choose.
Serve and Enjoy!
- Stir soup mix well. Once you add the garlic and dry soup mix, you want to be sure to stir everything thoroughly. Otherwise, you’ll have clumps of dry soup mix when you take a bite.
- Don’t add salt. The onion soup mix has a lot of sodium in it already. So, you don’t want to add any additional salt or it will be too salty.
- Make ahead of time. You can easily make these mushrooms ahead of time and store them in the fridge. Just heat them up in a skillet to serve them again later!
- More sauce. If you want more “gravy” with your mushrooms, you can add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet to create more sauce.
- Add onions. If you really love onions, you can also add thinly sliced yellow onion. I would recommend first sautéing the onion, till it’s tender, then adding the mushrooms and garlic. Onions take longer to cook than mushrooms, so start with them!
- Ranch mushrooms. Another fun idea that ranch lovers will like? Ranch flavored mushrooms! Swap out the French onion soup for dry ranch seasoning (the kind you can buy in the packet)!
Do I Have to Use Portobello Mushrooms?
Nope! You can use any mushrooms that you prefer and they will come out just as tasty and delicious. Mushrooms that are good for sauteing include cremini, chanterelle, oyster, or shiitake mushrooms.
Do I Have To Use Oil And Butter?
Nope! You can use all butter or all oil if you prefer, but from a flavor stand point, we like to use a combination of both. It’s honestly just personal preference and you can use all butter or all oil if you prefer.
I like to serve my mushrooms on top of a big, fat, juicy steak, but they are great sides to a variety of other entrees. These mushrooms pair well with the following recipes:
- Pan Fried Pork Chops
- Extra Juicy Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Steak Kabobs
- Instant Pot Beef Tips
- Crockpot French Onion Chicken
How to Store Leftovers
Allow your mushrooms to cool completely before storing them. Place any leftover mushrooms and sauce in an airtight container with a lid. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5-days.
To reheat the mushrooms, just pop them in the microwave or re-heat them in a skillet for a couple minutes. You can add a little extra butter if needed!
Can I freeze them? Yes! Cool them completely and place them in a freezer friendly ziploc bag.
- 8 oz sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons Lipton onion soup mix (about half of a 2 oz packet)
- Black pepper, optional, to taste
- In a medium size sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add mushrooms and sauté about 3 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add garlic and dry onion soup mix and stir to combine well.
Continue cooking an additional 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally until mushrooms are tender.
- Taste mushrooms and add black pepper, to taste. They will not need any additional salt, the onion soup mix has a lot of salt in it.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a skillet over the stove top or in microwave.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 435mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
More Side Dishes You’ll Love
Looking for more easy side dishes? Here are some of our favorites you wont want to miss: