Extra tender Instant Pot Beef Tips is the ultimate comfort food with tender chunks of beef smothered in a rich brown gravy. Serve this dish over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or even rice for a satisfying, filling meal the whole family will love!
Instant Pot Beef Tips
If you are looking for an easy dinner idea that is packed with flavor, look no further than our families favorite Instant Pot Beef Tips! The tender beef and rich brown gravy with added mushrooms and onions (if you want!) is served on top of mashed potatoes or egg noodles to create the perfect comfort food dinner.
There are so many reasons to love this easy recipe. For starters, it is easy to prepare and an inexpensive recipe that can feed a crowd if you need it to. The beef becomes extra tender in the instant pot and the gravy is so rich and flavorful, it’s sure to become a family favorite in now time.
What are Beef Tips?
There are many different cuts of beef that can be labeled as beef tips at the grocery store. In this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Tips, you will want to choose a type of beef that is tender and will cook quickly for optimal results.
Beef tips are usually made with the tender parts of the top of beef tenderloin. You can also use sirloin tips, or “stew meat” which is a larger beef roast cut into smaller bite chunks — also called tips. They are then browned, covered in a rich flavorful gravy and cooked until tender. The instant pot makes this process a breeze!
You will need a handful of ingredients to make this Instant Pot Beef Tips recipe:
- Beef Tips
- Brown Gravy Mix
- Beef Broth
- Onion Soup Mix
- Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Black Pepper
The cornstarch is optional, but it really thickens the gravy at the end. If you do not use cornstarch, your gravy will be a little thinner than I personally prefer. We like a thick gravy in this house to pour over our mashed potatoes or soak up with a soft buttery roll!
How to make Instant Pot Beef Tips:
Step 1: Pepper your beef tips and brown them in the instant pot with the oil. Add onion and garlic and cook a few minutes more. Turn off the sauté feature on instant pot.
Step 2: Add Worcestershire sauce and onion soup to instant pot. Then whisk together beef broth and gravy packets and pour the mixture into the instant pot.
Step 3: Spread mushrooms on top of the beef tips. Then spread cream of mushroom soup in as even of a layer as you can on top of the mushrooms.
Step 4: Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 20 minutes.
Step 5: Stir the beef tips and the gravy. If you are happy with the thickness, you can serve it immediately. If you prefer a thicker gravy like me, use the cornstarch to make a slurry.
How to make a slurry: Place cornstarch in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of broth/gravy from the instant pot into the cornstarch and stir. Continue adding gravy 1 tablespoon at a time until the slurry is smooth and a good consistency. Then stir the slurry into the instant pot, and stir really well. Let beef tips rest for 5 minutes and the gravy will thicken!
Serve as desired over mashed potatoes or egg noodles! Don’t forget the buttered rolls to soak up the extra gravy!
Tips for the best Instant Pot Beef Tips:
- Choose a tender cut of beef. If you can find the sirloin tips or tenderloin tips, this will give you a much more tender final product!
- Use the optional cornstarch for a thicker gravy! I highly recommend thickening your gravy. The flavor will stay the same, but consistency wise I personally think it’s much better when the gravy is thick.
- Don’t skip the onions, garlic or mushrooms. All three add tons of flavor and make it extra rich and give it a depth of flavor.
- Prepare for the cook time. While the instant pot only technically cooks for 25 minutes, remember that it has to reach the pressure first and then have a natural release time of 20 minutes. All in all, the instant pot will take about 1 hour to cook your beef tips.
Can I make this dish in the crockpot instead?
Yes, you will need to brown the beef and sauté the onions/garlic in a separate pan on the stove top. Then add everything to your crockpot following the same directions as the instant pot. Cook for 8 hours on low! If you want to thick your gravy, follow the same directions as below for the cornstarch slurry to thicken it!
How to serve
We like to serve this Instant Pot Beef Tips on top of mashed potatoes or over egg noodles. We will also serve it over cauliflower mash if we would like to up our veggie intake, but that’s just a personal preference.
It’s also wonderful with a side salad and a warm, soft buttery roll to soak up all the extra gravy you might have left on your plate!
We are excited for you to try this recipe as it is a family favorite of ours that we make a few times a month for Sunday dinner as a big family. It’s full of flavor and is what we sometimes call, comfort on a plate!
Looking for more easy Instant Pot recipes? Try one of these reader favorites:
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Best Pulled Pork
- Easy Instant Pot Taco Soup
- 5-Ingredient Shredded Beef
- 2 pounds beef tips
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (.87 oz) packages brown gravy mix
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 2 tablespoons oil (canola or olive oil)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (1 oz) package onion soup mix
- 8 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of mushroom soup
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Sprinkle pepper on your beef tips. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together beef broth and gravy packets. Set aside.
2. Set Instant Pot to sauté mode and add oil. Add beef tips and sauté until browned on all sides, about 3-5 minutes. Add onion, sauté for 3-4 minutes with beef. Add garlic, sautéing for 30 seconds, then turn off sauté mode.
3. Add Worcestershire sauce and onion soup mix to the instant pot, then pour in the gravy/beef broth mixture. Spread mushrooms on top of the beef tips. Then spread cream of mushroom soup in as even of a layer as you can on top of the mushrooms.
4. Seal the pressure cooker with the lid. Select Manual (or Pressure Cook button depending on your instant pot model) and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Don’t forget, it will take about 10 minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure and then the timer to start counting down.
5. When the cook time finishes, let the pot sit undisturbed for a 20 minute natural release (meaning do not touch the instant pot for 20 minutes after it says it’s done cooking). Then turn the steam release knob to Venting to release any remaining pressure and open the lid.
6. Stir the beef tips and the gravy. If you are happy with the thickness, you can serve it immediately. If you prefer a thicker gravy like me, use the cornstarch to make a slurry.
7. How to make a slurry: Place cornstarch in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of broth/gravy from the instant pot into the cornstarch and stir. Continue adding gravy 1 tablespoon at a time until the slurry is smooth and a good consistency. Then stir the slurry into the instant pot, and stir really well. Let beef tips rest for 5 minutes and the gravy will thicken!
8. Serve as desired over mashed potatoes or egg noodles! Don’t forget the buttered rolls to soak up the extra gravy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 1685mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g