You only need 5 ingredients to make this insanely tender Crock Pot Shredded Beef! Serve it with mashed potatoes and vegetables or stuffed inside bread for an amazing roast beef sandwich.
Why You’ll Love This Shredded Beef Recipe
Crock pot shredded beef is the ultimate slow cooker recipe we all grew up loving. Of all the amazing crock pot dishes out there, this one really might be our favorite! This recipe has been in our family for years, and it’s one we bring out anytime we need some comfort. This is one of those dinners that always has everyone drooling, just from the smell alone! Here’s why you’ll love it too:
- Easy: You only need 5 ingredients to make this recipe. Put everything in your crock pot and walk away. That’s it!
- Tender & Flavorful: The finished beef is so tender and full of flavor. You’re going to love it.
- Flexible: There are so many ways to use shredded beef and it goes with a wide variety of sides.
- Hearty: Looking for a simple dinner idea that fills hungry bellies? This is it. Everyone is going to devour this recipe.
What You’ll Need
A one-pot recipe that only requires 5 ingredients… what’s not to love? This dinner is everything you need on a weeknight – it’s inexpensive, easy, and SO delicious! Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Boneless Beef Chuck Roast
- Large Yellow Onion: You can also use a white onion in a pinch.
- Beef Broth: Vegetable broth will also work.
- Dry Brown Gravy Mix
- Dry Lipton Onion Soup Mix
How to Make Crock Pot Shredded Beef
Like most crock pot recipes, it’s almost TOO easy to make this shredded beef. Simply toss in the 5 ingredients and let the crock pot do all the work. Check out the recipe card for detailed directions.
- Layer Ingredients: Place the chuck roast in the crockpot and toss the chopped onions over the top and sides. Sprinkle with the gravy and soup mix, and then pour the beef broth on top.
- Cook: Put the lid on and slow cook the beef on low for 8 hours. You’ll know it’s done when it shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred: Shred the beef directly in the crockpot, allowing all those tasty juices to smother it. Serve and enjoy!
What to Serve With Shredded Beef
One of the best things about this recipe is how many sides it goes with! Here are some of our favorite things to serve with crock pot shredded beef:
- Veggies: When serving this slow-cooked beef for dinner, we always plate it with our favorite vegetables like roast broccoli, air fryer brussels sprouts or air fryer green beans.
- Potatoes: I know potatoes are a vegetable but they are also kinda their own class of side dish, ya know? We love fluffy homemade mashed potatoes or air fryer baked potatoes with this recipe. Baked sweet potatoes are another homerun combo!
- Bread: A nice warm roll or a slice of cornbread is also perfect for soaking up any extra gravy. These air fryer crescent rolls are one of my favorite last-minute sides to serve with meaty mains like this.
Ways to Use Leftovers
Wondering what to do with leftovers? Here are our favorite ideas:
- Sandwiches: If you have any extra shredded beef stuff it inside a slice of fresh French bread for the best roast beef sandwich ever! Make sure to save the sauce as well as the meat to have a juicy sandwich the next day.
- Mexican Food: You can also use shredded beef to make burritos, tacos and quesadillas. Beef enchiladas is another great way to use extra meat.
- Breakfast: Heat it up and serve it with scrambled eggs for breakfast.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
If you have any leftovers, here’s how to store and reheat them:
- Fridge: Seal them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Let the shredded meat cool, then transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container and store for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- To Reheat: You can reheat your leftovers in the microwave or the crockpot, if you have the time! Just set your crock pot to the “high” setting, toss in your leftovers, and let it heat up. Mix the beef around every few minutes to make sure it reheats evenly. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are a few questions folks commonly have about shredded beef, so I figured I’d share some helpful information. Let me know if there is another question you have in the comments.
Are you a gravy a-holic? Don’t worry, so am I. On days I really want a lot of delicious gravy to soak up with my buttery role, I double the liquid in this recipe and add a second packet of dry gravy mix. So instead of the 1/3 cup beef broth and 1 packet of dry brown gravy mix. Use 2/3 cup beef broth and 2 packets of dry brown gravy mix!
This may sound like an odd question to most, but there are plenty of folks out there that like a hint of sweetness in their roast beef.
If you want to lightly satisfy your sweet tooth, you can sprinkle in some brown sugar, or even add a can of coke to the mix! If you add coke, just note that your end result will have more liquid than what is pictured with this recipe.
It is totally optional, but not necessary. We usually do not sear the roast out of total laziness. However, if you do sear the roast it will absolutely add to the flavor!
When you sear a roast, you caramelize the natural sugars on the outside of the meat, which will give an extra rich flavor to the finished dish. So if you have the time and don’t mind washing an extra dish, go ahead and sear your roast on all sides in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
More Crock Pot Recipes
- Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Crock Pot Beef Tips
- Crock Pot Mexican White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Country Style Ribs
Crock Pot Shredded Beef
- 1 3 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- ⅓ cup beef broth
- 1 .87 oz packet dry brown gravy mix
- 1 1 oz packet dry Lipton onion soup mix
- Place chuck roast in crockpot and place onions over the top and on the sides of the roast.
- Sprinkle the top of the onions/roast with the gravy packets and onion soup mix. Pour the beef broth on top and place lid on the crockpot.
- Cook the beef on low for 8 hours, until beef is easily pierced by a fork and shreds easily. Shred beef in sauce and serve as desired!
- For extra gravy, you can double the gravy packet and beef broth! So use 2/3 cup beef broth and 2 packets dry brown gravy mix!
- To add more flavor to your shredded beef, you can sear the outside of the meat before adding it to the slow cooker. This is an optional step, but will defintely add a big punch of flavor to your meat!