If you like white chili, you are going to love this easy Crock Pot Mexican White Chicken Chili recipe! Made with chicken, chili beans, and Mexican spices, I promise you won’t be able to have just one bowl.
Want to use your Instant Pot? Try this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili recipe!
Crock Pot White Chicken Chili Recipe
This easy crockpot Mexican White Chicken Chili is a favorite around our house. It’s incredibly easy to make – just dump everything into your crockpot and let it go. It’s also full of flavor, which means it’s got that winning combo of easy AND delicious.
Like traditional chili, this white chicken chili is made with protein, beans, and seasonings. Traditional chili is typically made with red chili beans and ground beef. This recipe is made with white chili beans, chicken, and Mexican spices making it a white chili.
Chili literally means pepper with meat. Breaking the traditional chili rules, the first white chili surfaced not very long ago. In fact, the first known white chili recipe was made in the late 1980s!
With Mexican seasonings such as taco seasoning and enchilada sauce, this recipe combines the best of everything. It’s packed with Mexican flavors, made with chicken, and slow-cooked for a divine dish the whole family will love! It’s super easy to prepare, makes a great freezer meal, and the leftovers are just as amazing as when it’s cooked fresh.
What You’ll Need
With these ingredients, you get a bowl of hot steamy chili that is both creamy and delicious. Get out that shopping list for a perfect Autumn weather dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts: We use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, however you could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs!
- White chili beans: I prefer to use Bush’s White Chili Beans as I feel they have a better chili flavor already added to them. However, if you can’t find them, you can always use Great Northern Beans instead, but may want to add a little chili seasoning packet!
- Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes: You want to get fire roasted diced tomatoes. They are roasted over an open fire and give your chili a delicious amount of flavor.
- Enchilada sauce: Made with green chilis and tomatillos, you will want to get the green enchilada sauce for a fresher flavor.
- Ranch seasoning: You won’t use liquid ranch. Instead, you’ll be using a ranch seasoning packet that you can find near the ranch dressing.
- Taco seasoning: To make this a true Mexican cuisine, you’ll need taco seasoning. If you choose, you can make your own homemade taco seasoning.
- Shredded Cheese: Mozzarella, Mexican style, Monterey Jack or cotija cheese will all be delicious on top!
- Cilantro: My favorite – I always stir some into ours because I love it so much!
- Avocado: Fresh sliced avocado is delicious on top too.
- Sour Cream: Cool and tangy sour cream is my personal favorite topping
- Jalapeños: Pickled or fresh – whichever you prefer!
How to Make Mexican White Chicken Chili
I love using my slow cooker to make hearty and delicious meals. The beauty of this recipe is you can add your ingredients and walk away while it cooks! This white chicken chili is super easy to make, so let’s get started.
- Prep the crockpot: First, spray your crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Or, you can line it with a crockpot liner.
- Put everything in the crockpot: Next, put your chicken breasts, white chili beans, diced tomatoes, green enchilada sauce, ranch and taco seasoning into the crockpot. Give it a good stir.
- Cook your chili: You can cook your chili on high for 4 hours. Or, you can cook it on low for 6 to 8 hours. Cook until the chicken is fork tender.
- Shred the chicken: When the chili has cooked for several hours, use two forks to shred the chicken. Then, stir it in to combine it with the chili.
- Serve topped with desired toppings!
Tips For the Best White Chicken Chili
- Don’t drain ingredients. This recipe has you using several canned ingredients. Do not drain or rinse the canned ingredients. You will need the liquid in your crockpot.
- Make substitutions as needed. If you don’t have green enchilada sauce, you can use salsa verde. Additionally, you can substitute the fire roasted diced tomatoes for a can of rotel diced tomatoes.
- Do not attempt this recipe in the Instant Pot. The Instant Pot is great for many different things, but unless you use the pot in pot method, it will give you the burn notice.
What Toppings Should I Use?
To make this chili even more delicious, you can add your favorite toppings before serving. I like to top my white chicken chili with the following:
- Shredded Cheese: Mozzarella, cheddar, or even cotija cheese.
- Sour cream
- Crushed Chips: Tortilla chips and Fritos are tasty on chili, trust me!
Side Dish Suggestions
Not sure what you can serve with this delicious Mexican white chicken chili? Here are a few suggestions to help you out:
- Cornbread – Traditional cornbread or Mexican-style cornbread with jalapenos would both be great. This old-fashioned cornbread recipe with cheddar cheese would go nicely too!
- Beer Bread – A quick and easy beer bread recipe would also be great on the side of this white chili.
- Salad – A light leafy green salad is a great way to get some green vegetables in on the side.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
I think the absolute best thing about chili is that it’s just as delicious if not better the next day!
- Fridge: You can store your leftover chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Additionally, chili makes a great freezer meal. Simply let it cool and then transfer it to a freezer bag. It will last in your freezer for a good 6 months.
- Reheat: Add your desired amount of chili to an appropriately sized pot and warm on the stove over medium-low heat until hot. Or, ladle a single serving in a microwave-safe bowl and zap until warm, stirring halfway through.
More Crock Pot Dinner Ideas
Looking for more ways to cook dinner with your crock pot? Here are some ideas:
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Crockpot Chicken Stew
- Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing
- Crockpot Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken
Mexican White Chicken Chili:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans Buch’s white chili beans
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (1 oz) packet ranch seasoning mix
- 1 (1 oz) packet reduced sodium taco seasoning (or **homemade taco seasoning!)
- Shredded Cheese (mozzarella, Monterey Jack, etc)
- Sour cream
- Spray a crockpot with non-stick spray or line with a crockpot liner.
- Add chicken breasts, white chili beans, diced tomatoes, green enchilada sauce, ranch seasoning and taco seasoning to crockpot. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 4 hours high or 6 to 8 hours on low, until chicken is cooked through and tender. Shred chicken with two forks and stir to combine chili.
- Serve topped with desired toppings!
**2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning is equal to store bought 1 oz packet of taco seasoning.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 1777mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 56g