This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili recipe makes a hearty one-pot meal full of healthy proteins. Made with beans, tomatoes, and tender chicken, this chili can hold its own against any blue ribbon chili cook-off!
Want to use your crock pot? Try our Crock Pot White Chicken Chili!
Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe
This white chicken chili is one of my family’s favorite weeknight dinners. It’s made with pantry stables that we almost always have on hand and is bursting with flavor. Even better, the Instant Pot does all the work for you so this dinner idea is perfect for busy evenings when you don’t want to spend time standing in front of the stove.
The cream cheese and sour cream make this chili extra thick and creamy while tomatoes and green chilies add the perfect amount of spice. We use mild Ro-tel and green chilies to keep this white chicken chili kid-friendly. However, if you like the heat, try out the hot Ro-tel!
What You’ll Need
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need to make this easy white chicken chili. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for specific amounts.
- Olive Oil
- Onion: You can use white or yellow onion.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves.
- Ro-Tel Tomatoes & Green Chili: We like to use mild so the kids can enjoy too. Hot or Spicy is also great if you want to kick up the heat.
- Pinto Beans: Rinsed and drained.
- Cannellini Beans: Rinsed and drained.
- Diced Green Chilies: Do not drain.
- Chicken Broth: You can also use vegetable broth.
- Seasonings: Paprika, Chili Powder, Oregano, Cumin, Salt & Pepper
- Chicken Breast: We use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can also use boneless thigh meat.
- Cream Cheese: Softened. If you forgot to let it warm up on the counter, just remove the foil and pop it into the microwave for 30 seconds. You want it soft so it stirs into the chili and melts quickly.
- Sour cream: Optional, but we like our chili extra creamy!
Can I Use Taco Seasoning?
Instead of the seasonings listed above, you can reach for Homemade Taco Seasoning or your favorite blend of storebought seasoning.
You can use 2 tablespoons of it in place of the other seasonings listed in the recipe. You will need to taste test before serving and possibly add a little extra salt.
How To Make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Ok, are you ready to make the best white chicken chili ever? It’s so easy. Here’s how to do it:
- Cook the onion. Set your instant pot to the sauté setting. Sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add tomatoes and chilies. Add the can of Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes (do not drain) and diced green chiles.
- Add the pinto beans and cannellini beans. We like to drain and rinse our canned beans, but that’s a personal preference.
- Pour in the spices. Add in the chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika and salt, pepper and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken on top. Gently press down to cover with the broth/bean mixture. You don’t want the chicken on the bottom of the instant pot or it can end up giving you the dreaded burn notice.
- Cook. Seal the pressure cooker with the lid. Select Manual (or Pressure Cook button
depending on your instant pot model) and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. (The pot will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
- Natural release. When the cook time finishes, let the pot sit undisturbed for a 15-minute natural release. This means do not touch the instant pot for 15 minutes after it says it’s done cooking.
- Vent. Then turn the steam release knob to Venting to release any remaining pressure and
open the lid.
- Shred chicken and add creaminess. Using two forks to shred the chicken then add the cream cheese and sour cream and stir until all combined.
- Serve! Ladle into bowls, add toppings and dig in.
Want to customize your white chicken chili? One of the best things about this recipe is how simple it is to add different veggies, beans, and flavors. Here are some ideas:
- Corn: Canned corn, drained.
- Black Beans: Rinsed and drained.
- Garbanzo Beans: Rinsed and drained.
- Chili Beans: If you use chili beans, do not drain them to keep all the extra chili flavor.
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Diced Jalapeno Pepper: Add in when you cook the onions.
- Red Pepper: Dice it up and add it in with the onions.
Another wonderful thing about chili recipes? All the toppings! These are our favorite ways to serve our white chicken chili:
- Avocado / Guacamole: Use as a topping
- Shredded Cheese: Cheddar or Monterrey Jack go nicely with this recipe.
- Fresh Lime: Squeeze a slice of lime over your bowl for a little extra zestyness
- Sour Cream: Can you ever have enough sour cream?
- Jalapenos: Fresh or pickled sliced jalapenos can add more heat.
- Crushed Chips: Tortilla chips and Fritos are tasty on top of chili and add a delightful crunch.
How to Store and Reheat Extras
We love leftover chili, as it is almost always better the second time around.
- Fridge: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days and reheat in the microwave.
- Freezer: White Chicken Chili freezes incredibly well. Just make sure and freeze it in a freezer-friendly container and remove all the extra air. I personally like to use freezer-friendly ziplock bags and lay them flat to freeze to save space in my freezer!
- Reheat: Ladle your desired amount into an appropriately sized pot and warm on the stove over medium-low heat until it reaches the temperature you want. You can also zap single portions in a microwave-safe bowl until warmed through, pausing halfway through to stir the chili.
This easy Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is simple to make, but absolutely exploding with flavor! It’s a perfect easy weeknight dinner recipe for the whole family when you add some cornbread on the side!
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try
Here are some of our favorites!!
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is a hearty, one pot meal that pleases everyone. Full of healthy beans, tomatoes and tender chicken, this chili can hold its own against any blue ribbon chili cookoff!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 oz can) diced green chiles (do not drain)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 oz cream cheese
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh Lime
- Sour Cream
- Set your instant pot to the sauté setting. Sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add the can of Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes (do not drain) and diced green chiles. Add the pinto beans and cannellini beans (We like to drain and rinse our canned beans, but that’s a personal preference.)
- Add in the chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika and salt, pepper and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken on top and gently press down to cover with the broth/bean mixture. You don’t want the chicken on the bottom of the instant pot or it can end up giving you the dreaded burn notice.
- Seal the pressure cooker with the lid. Select Manual (or Pressure Cook button depending on your instant pot model) and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. (The pot will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
- When the cook time finishes, let the pot sit undisturbed for a 15 minute natural release (meaning do not touch the instant pot for 15 minutes after it says it’s done cooking).
- Then turn the steam release knob to Venting to release any remaining pressure and open the lid. Using two forks to shred the chicken then add the cream cheese and sour cream and stir until all combined.
- Serve with toppings of choice or corn bread or beer bread on the side!
Storing Leftovers: freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight container or refridgerate for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 791Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 1223mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 12gSugar: 7gProtein: 55g