Loaded with flavor, this Fried Cabbage and Sausage is an easy 30-minute, one-pot meal! Smothered with onion, garlic and bite-size pieces of smoked sausage, this fried cabbage meal is low carb and seriously delicious!
Easy Fried Cabbage and Sausage
Cabbage and sausage are truly the perfect combination. When combined together, this dish highlights everything delicious about these 2 simple ingredients without needing to add much more to it! It’s the perfect weeknight dinner for busy families.
The best part about this recipe is that there really isn’t anything special required to make it. You start by sautéing a little garlic and onion and then fry the cabbage with the smoked sausage and a few spices to season it up. You’ll be done with dinner in less than 30-minutes!
Not only is this dinner quick, easy, and delicious, but it’s packed with lots of nutrition. In fact, cabbage is considered a superfood because it’s packed with rich nutrients like fiber, vitamins A, C, K, B6, and potassium. Top that with your sausage and you have a delicious protein rich meal filled with nutrients!
Cabbage and Sausage Ingredients
Made with simple ingredients, you won’t spend much time grabbing what you need to make this recipe. Here’s what you need:
- Smoked Sausage: You want fully cooked smoked sausage sliced into bite sized pieces. You can use your favorite brand of smoked sausage for this recipe.
- Cabbage: Fresh, chopped cabbage works best.
- Onion: Onions always add a layer of flavor and they are a key ingredient in this recipe. I used a medium yellow onion.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic will give you the most flavor.
- Spices: For a little more flavor, you’ll need smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Fried Cabbage and Sausage
You only need one-pot and 30-minutes to get this deliciously easy fried cabbage and sausage on the table. It’s probably one of the easiest recipes you will ever make for dinner, and the whole family will love it!
Sauté the onion and garlic: First, add olive oil to a large pot. Then, sauté the onion for about 4-minutes. Once the onion is translucent, add the garlic and saute it for another minute.
Add the chopped cabbage: Next, add your chopped cabbage to the pot. Stir it until it’s fully combined with the onion and garlic.
Simmer: Place a lid on the pot and allow the cabbage to simmer for about 20-minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to become nice and tender.
Add the sausage: Add in your sliced smoked sausage and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remember, the sausage is already cooked, you are just heating it up.
Serve: Once the sausage is nice and hot and the cabbage is perfectly tender, dinner is done! Serve it up and enjoy!
- Cabbage should be tender. Be sure to simmer the cabbage until it is cooked down and tender.
- Saute the sausage. If you want that blackened flavor, you can sear the sausage on both sides before adding it with your cabbage.
- Use smoked paprika. I like to use smoked paprika because I it gives the cabbage a deeper flavor, but you can use regular paprika as well.
- Add some heat. If you want a little kick to your fried cabbage and sausage, you can use a little cajun seasoning as well! However, you will need to omit the salt listed in the recipe. (Cajun seasoning can be salty!)
Fried cabbage and sausage is the perfect meal all on its own, but it’s just as delicious with a few sides too! If you want a heartier meal, here are some ideas:
- Black Eyed Peas
- Grilled Okra
- Roasted or Candied Carrots
- Skillet Fried Corn
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
How Do You Cut the Cabbage?
You will want to cut your head of cabbage into bigger chunks, not shredded like coleslaw.
First, remove the first 2-3 layers of outer leaves. Then, cut the cabbage in half and remove the core at the bottom. Finally, chop it into large chunks (squares)!
How to Store Leftover Cabbage and Sausage
You may not have any of this southern comfort food left, but if you do, you can easily store any leftovers in your refrigerator. Place the cabbage and sausage in a bowl with a lid and place it in the fridge. Be sure to eat it within 2-3 days.
Leftovers heat up well in the microwave, however you can also heat up any leftovers in a skillet on the stove. It makes a very delicious lunch the next day if you do happen to have any leftovers!
Easy Fried Cabbage and Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2-3 pounds cabbage, chopped
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot, add olive oil and sauté onion for about 4 minutes, until it starts to get translucent. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add chopped cabbage and stir until combined with the onion and garlic. Place lid on your pot and continue cooking for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is cooked down and tender.
- Add sausage and seasonings and continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes, until sausage is warmed through. Serve immediately!