Crockpot Chicken and Rice is a hearty dinner filled with tender chicken and flavorful rice that even the pickiest eaters love. With simple ingredients and only needing one pot, this is an easy go-to dinner any night of the week.
The Best Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
Families with picky eaters – this recipe is for you! We make this recipe all the time and honestly, even that’s not enough, because the kids just love it. They would eat it every night of the week!
It’s so easy and the flavors are rich and simple, but still incredibly delicious. When we’re ready to throw our hands up wondering what to make the kids, this is our go-to recipe. You just need a few really basic ingredients, a slow cooker, and some time for it to cook.
It’s one of our favorite set-it-and-forget-it dinners. We put it together in the morning, go about our day, and then the meal is done (and the house smells amazing!) when we get home.
Not only is it quick, but it’s hearty and healthy! No one will be left feeling hungry after a big plate of protein-packed chicken, tender vegetables, and flavorful rice.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken and Rice Crockpot Recipe
There are a lot of reasons you’re going to love this simple slow cooker recipe!
- It takes 5 minutes to prep. And that’s it! Then you just set the slow cooker and walk away.
- It has basic and affordable ingredients. You aren’t going to break the bank by making this recipe all the time. This is another reason why we love how family-friendly it is!
- The flavor is for everyone. Honestly, we have never had anyone say they didn’t like this recipe. The creamy chicken and vegetable dish isn’t all that complex, but it’s still rich and flavorful.
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this slow cooker recipe. Remember, the exact amounts and instructions are below in the recipe card.
- Chicken Breasts: We like to use boneless and skinless for the best results in the slow cooker.
- Onion: White or yellow onions will work great for this recipe.
- Carrots: You can use whole carrots or baby carrots if that’s all that you have.
- Celery: We used the entire celery stalk (including the leaves) to help make this chicken and rice more flavorful. Believe it or not, the leaves of the celery have more flavor than the stalk.
- Long Grain Brown Rice: This is a hearty (and sturdy) rice that won’t get mushy when it’s cooked for a long time. We suggest avoiding using short-grain rice.
- Garlic: We highly recommend using fresh garlic here for the best flavor.
- Oregano: Using dried oregano is best here. It’s a great (and simple!) way to add a ton of herbal flavor.
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Stock: Use low sodium or salt-free if you are trying to watch your salt intake. We prefer to use low-sodium stock so that we can control the salt level of the dish.
- Butter: Again, use unsalted butter here if you are watching your salt intake.
- Sweet Peas: This is a fun and healthy way to add a little color and a hint of sweetness to the dish. We love the sweet and earthy flavor of the bright green peas.
- Cheddar Cheese: Use your favorite shredded cheese here! We like to shred right from a big block for the best flavor and it melts much better into the dish.
What’s The Best Rice To Use?
It is important to use hearty long-grain rice for Crockpot Chicken and Rice. Long-grain brown rice is the best because it takes longer to cook and it won’t get mushy. Also, it has more nutritional value!
When white rice is cooked in a Crockpot it turns very mushy, but the long-grain brown rice holds its shape a little better.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Rice
This recipe is so easy to make! Here are the short and simple steps.
Add the ingredients to the Crockpot. First, you’ll add everything but the peas and cheese to the slow cooker.
Give everything a good stir. And then put the cover on.
Cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Or until there is no longer very much liquid in the slow cooker. The chicken should also be fork tender and easy to shred.
Add the peas and cheese. Stir everything once last time and then the Crockpot Chicken and Rice is ready to serve!
Tips for Success
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind when making this Crockpot Chicken and Rice recipe.
- No chicken stock? No problem! You can also use vegetable stock.
- Add other vegetables. You could also add or substitute vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower.
- Check at 3 1/2 hours. We suggest checking the recipe at around the 3 1/2 hour mark to make sure that the rice isn’t getting too much.
Here are some of our favorite side dishes to serve with this dish.
- Biscuits or Rolls: You can use any biscuit or roll recipe that you like or buy them at the store. We suggest trying our Herb Crescent Rolls. They are delicious!
- A Simple Side Salad: You can make something easy or try a more dressed-up salad like our Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad.
- More Veggies: You can also make another family-friendly vegetable side dish like Skillet Corn or yummy Sweet Potatoes.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate any leftover Crockpot Chicken and Rice in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Then you can reheat it in the microwave for an easy lunch or dinner. You could also reheat on the stovetop if you’re warming up a larger portion. Just keep an eye on it so that the rice doesn’t get too mushy.
Can I Freeze Homemade Chicken and Rice?
This recipe can be stored in the freezer but the rice will be a little mushier than when it was first prepared. So just keep that in mind when you are deciding whether or not you want to freeze this recipe.
Crockpot Chicken and Rice
Crockpot Chicken and Rice is a hearty dinner filled with tender chicken, flavorful rice, healthy vegetables, and cheese! It's simple and family-friendly.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup chopped onion)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add chicken, onion, carrots, celery, rice, garlic, oregano, pepper, salt, chicken stock and butter in the crockpot. Stir and cover.
- Cook on high 3 ½ to 4 hours on high or until the rice has absorbed the broth and the chicken is fork tender.
- Add sweet peas and cheese, stir until everything is combined. (try not to stir too much because the more you stir the more the rice loses its shape) Serve warm.
Storage: Refrigerate any leftover Crockpot Chicken and Rice in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Then you can reheat it in the microwave for an easy lunch or dinner. You could also reheat on the stovetop if you're warming up a larger portion. Just keep an eye on it so that the rice doesn't get too mushy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 660Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 207mgSodium: 1142mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 67g
2 comments on “Crockpot Chicken and Rice”
What about using frozen peas and carrots?
Absolutely! Frozen peas and carrots are perfect in this recipe.