This Taco Soup is ready in less than 30 minutes! Plus, it’s loaded with veggies and there’s no chopping involved. Once you add all the toppings it’s seriously irresistible.
The Best Taco Soup Recipe
Are you ready for one of the easiest soups ever?! This Easy Taco Soup is up there on the list of best simple dinner ideas. We love taco anything (like this easy Taco Pasta) and love this hearty soup packed full of ground meat, hearty beans, veggies and all the toppings. The soup is ready in just a half hour and there is no chopping involved. Yes, you read that right. No chopping at all!
This soup only needs about 20 minutes of simmering to become insanely delicious. We actually prefer it this way. This is because when the soup is cooked for a shorter period the diced tomatoes uphold their slight sweetness and lighter flavor.
Plus, we don’t want to cook the beans or ground turkey for too long, as sometimes those ingredients tend to dry out when they are cooked for long periods of time.
This recipe is fresh, quick, and a great easy weeknight meal. And don’t forget the toppings! Adding flavorful cilantro, creamy sour cream, and cheese is our favorite part!
Want to use your instant pot? Try this easy Instant Pot Taco Soup instead!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Soup
This soup is a hit with our family…and here’s why:
- Prep is a breeze. Honestly, it does not get easier than opening up a few cans and browning some meat. And that’s all you need to do here and there is no chopping involved.
- It’s ready in 30 minutes. This soup doesn’t need to simmer all day because it’s ready in about a half hour!
- The soup is very healthy. It’s gluten-free and dairy free (unless you add cheese or sour cream as a topping). Plus, it’s packed with healthy beans and lean ground turkey.
Here is what you need to make this Easy Taco Soup. Don’t forget that the exact amounts are listed below in the recipe card.
- Ground Turkey: We like to use ground turkey because it’s lean, family-friendly, and affordable. You could also use ground chicken or beef.
- Canned Beans: We used pinto and black beans, but you can use whatever canned beans that you like. Kidney beans are great.
- Rotel Tomatoes: We always keep a bunch of canned Rotel tomatoes in the pantry for easy recipes like this one! You can use Spicy Rotel tomatoes if you want a little heat.
- Corn: You can use fresh, frozen, or canned corn.
- Taco Seasoning: If you are out of taco seasoning, you can substitute with a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and/or dried oregano.
Toppings & Garnishes
Here are some of our favorite toppings to add to Easy Taco Soup. The toppings really bring the soup to the next level with different textures and flavors.
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Chopped Onions
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Tortilla Strips
How to Make Homemade Taco Soup
The steps are so simple! Here is how we make this simple soup.
First, ground the meat in a large soup pot. You’ll want to break up the meat while you cook it so there aren’t big chunks.
Then, add the canned goods. You’ll want to drain and rinse the beans.
Add the remaining ingredients. Once you add the broth, make sure that you scrape up any bits of cooked meat on the bottom of the pan. It adds so much flavor!
Simmer the soup for 20 minutes. Then you can serve and add your favorite toppings.
Tips & Variations
There are a few things to keep in mind when making this Easy Taco Soup:
- Ground turkey is not your only option. You can also use ground beef or ground chicken.
- You can also use different beans. Try using kidney beans if you don’t like the beans we used in the recipe.
- Add more broth to thin the soup out. This is a thick soup, meaning it’s not brothy. So if you like more broth add more broth. For example, instead of 2 cups of broth try 3 cups of broth.
- Use whatever corn you have. You can use fresh, frozen, or canned corn.
- Tortilla Chips: Some crunch tortilla strips (or just crush up some tortilla chips) on top can add a great crunch!
Here are some of our favorite recipes and other foods to make alongside this Easy Taco Soup recipe.
- Add some rice or serve rice on the side. If you need a little more heartiness to the meal, you can always add a side of Cilantro Lime Rice. We like to make the rice separately and add a few scoops to the soup once it’s in the serving bowl.
- Serve it with chips and salsa. You can make our Homemade Pico De Gallo as a topping or a dip to serve with this soup. We also may be guilty of dipping the tortilla chips right into the soup, too!
- Make an easy vegetable board. We like to serve soups with easy finger foods (especially when we’re feeding the kids). You can keep it simple with some carrots, celery, and ranch for dipping.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Store any leftover Taco Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Then when you’re ready to reheat you can use a microwave or the stovetop.
Can Taco Soup Be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this soup! Easy Taco Soup freezes really well because there are no noodles or rice. So you can make a big batch and save extra for another day.
Just place the soup in a freezer bag and lay it flat to freeze for up to 3 months in the freezer. Then it’s always best to thaw the soup in the fridge the night before you want to reheat it.
Easy Taco Soup
- 1 lb ground turkey, or beef or chicken
- 1 16 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 10 oz can rotel
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Shredded cheese
- Avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Chopped onions
- In a large soup pot, or dutch oven, spray with non-stick spray and brown the ground meat, break up any large clumps. I used ground turkey (85% lean ground turkey) so I did not drain the fat, if you use ground beef you may want to drain the grease after browning.
- Add pinto beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chicken broth and taco seasoning, stir until everything is well combined.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Serve warm with your favorite toppings!