The air fryer works magic with these Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes! The potatoes turn out perfectly every time with crispy skin and a tender and flavorful center that’s perfect for adding flavorful toppings.
The BEST Sweet Potatoes Recipe
We used to think that the Instant Pot cooked the best sweet potatoes. It was quick, easy, and mess-free, and the results were amazing. But then we started working on this Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes recipe and that all changed. The air fryer wins this one for cooking the absolute best sweet potatoes!
The air fryer does an amazing job of cooking the inside of the sweet potato perfectly and crisping up the skin. When the potatoes are done, the skin falls right off so that you can peel them and eat them or add your favorite toppings.
Plus, this recipe only takes a few minutes to prep. Then you turn on the air fryer and that’s it! There’s no need to wait for pressure to build in the Instant Pot or heat the whole oven for just a few potatoes. The recipe is delicious and it keeps your life simple!
Why You’ll Love These Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
We love this recipe and you will, too! Here’s why:
- It’s a one-ingredient side dish. The potatoes are very delicious on their own. The air fryer cooks them perfectly and the skin stays intact to hold together all that sweet flavor from the sweet potato. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t add your favorite toppings. That being said, you can usually work with what you have already!
- It’s topping-friendly. Like we said before, you can eat them alone or add toppings. The kids LOVE adding toppings so we usually go that route. It can be as simple as some fresh herbs or you can crisp up some bacon to add on top. You can also add marshmallows inside the potatoes and pop them back in the air fryer to toast and melt the marshmallows!
- It is one of the easiest side dishes ever! You need one ingredient and an air fryer -that’s it! You can get home from work and pop them right in the air fryer and a healthy side dish will be on the dinner table.
This one-ingredient recipe could not be easier! You just need one thing and then the air fryer, that’s it!
- Sweet Potatoes: The best part of this recipe is that you can use other potatoes, too! Yams also work great, but you can also play around with white and yellow potatoes, too.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
The steps are so simple. Here’s what you need to do:
First, always preheat the air fryer. This is important for the best-cooked sweet potatoes – and optimal cooking time. Poke a few holes into the sweet potatoes with a fork when the air fryer is preheating.
Then rinse and dry the potatoes. The skin will get nice and crispy when it’s dry going into the air fryer.
Cook for about 45 minutes. They are done when the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. It’s also best to let them rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Tips for the Best Sweet Potatoes in Air Fryer
Follow these tips and your sweet potatoes will turn out perfectly every single time!
- Don’t skip the fork and piercing the skin. You might think that people poke the potatoes out of fear they will explode, but we don’t think that’s an issue here. Instead, poking the skin a few times, makes the skin lift away from the meat of the potato and they serve so much easier.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. I can easily make 4 or 5 medium-sized sweet potatoes in my 8 quart air fryer.
- Time the potatoes based on their size. We used small to medium size potatoes and in 45 minutes they were perfect. If the potatoes are not ready at 45 minutes add another 5 minutes and check again.
- Don’t worry about wrapping them in foil. There’s no need to wrap them with foil. Also, the potatoes did not leak out like they sometimes do in the oven. So all of the flavor and sweetness stayed right in the potatoes!
What to Serve with Roasted Potatoes
These Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are the best healthy side dish. Here is what we like to serve them with.
- Chicken: These are some of our favorite chicken dishes to serve with sweet potatoes – Baked Chicken Legs, Lemon Pepper Chicken, and Roasted Citrus Chicken.
- Pork: Air Fryer Pork Chops and Pulled Pork are two easy recipes to try. Pulled pork also makes a great topping for sweet potatoes!
- Beef: Crockpot Shredded Beef is also great to serve on the side or on top of sweet potatoes. We also recommend trying our Best Ever Taco Meat as a topping or simply served on the side for a hearty, but healthy, dinner.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days. You can then use the air fryer again to reheat them for the best-tasting results. You would only need to put them back in the air fryer for about 5 minutes to reheat.
Can I Freeze These?
Yes, you can freeze these sweet potatoes after they have been cooked in the air fryer. You can freeze them in a plastic freezer-friendly bag for up to 3 months.
We suggest thawing them in the refrigerator overnight before reheating them in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F.
- While the air fryer is preheating, rinse and dry the sweet potatoes. Use a fork to a few holes on all sides of the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes into the air fryer basket and cook on 375°F for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. If your potatoes are large, you will need an additional 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Let the potatoes rest for 5 minutes before serving.