These Air Fryer Green Beans are crispy and garlicky, amped up with soy sauce for irresistible umami flavor. Making green beans in the air fryer is an easy and healthy way to enjoy a classic side dish!
Easy Air Fryer Green Beans
Who’s ready for another time-saving air fryer recipe that prevents you from turning on the oven or standing over the stovetop? Air Fryer Green Beans are so simple to make and they turn out perfectly every time. Fresh and tender green beans are seasoned with lots of garlic and black pepper, plus soy sauce for a delicious sweet-salty kick. They’re then “roasted” in the air fryer until they’re deliciously crispy.
If you’re not one to fuss with complicated side dishes (who is, really?), you have to try green beans in the air fryer! These irresistible green beans are just as easy to make for weeknight dinners as they are perfect for the holidays.
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Green Beans Recipe
- Quick. These air fryer green beans are ready for serving in just 15 minutes.
- Full of flavor. Rich, sweet, and salty flavors of soy sauce work so well with these green beans. Especially when you add in all of that garlic!
- Perfectly roasted. Air frying is one of the best ways to cook green beans that turn out perfectly roasted and crisp-tender. This is a quick and easy side dish you’ll want to make time and time again.
Here is the short list of ingredients you need to make the best air fryer green beans. Don’t forget to scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full amounts and recipe details.
- Green Beans: We like to use fresh green beans for this recipe. And don’t forget to trim the ends off.
- Olive Oil: Or sesame oil works really great for this recipe, too because adds more Asian flavor.
- Soy Sauce: You can use tamari if you are gluten-free because it doesn’t contain wheat products.
- Garlic: We highly recommend using fresh garlic for this recipe. But you can also use garlic powder in a pinch.
- Black Pepper: Fresh cracked black pepper adds a little kick to this recipe.
- Sesame Seeds: This is an optional topping idea that adds crunch and flavor.
Is it better to snap or cut the ends off of green beans?
Some green beans come with their ends already snapped off. If not, make sure to trim the stems before you cook them. You can do this by simply snapping the ends off using your fingers, or you can use a sharp knife. It’s totally up to you, and one method isn’t really better than the other.
How to Make Green Beans in the Air Fryer
Let’s go over the simple steps for making this delicious green bean side dish. You’re going to love how quickly and easily green beans roast up in the air fryer.
- First, season the green beans. Trim and then toss the green beans in a large bowl with soy sauce, oil, garlic, and black pepper.
- Place the beans in the air fryer. Make sure to lay out the beans in a single later so that they cook evenly.
- Cook. “Fry” the beans for about 10 minutes, stirring them halfway through.
- Serve them immediately. When the green beans are done, garnish them with sesame seeds and serve!
How Long Do You Cook Green Beans In The Air Fryer?
Green beans typically don’t take that long to cook regardless of the cooking method. These air fryer green beans will usually take anywhere between 6-10 minutes to cook, depending on their size.
If you are using Hericot Verts (smaller and thinner green beans), they will take around 6 minutes. Larger string beans can take up to 8-10 minutes.
Tips and Variation Ideas
Keep the following tips in mind for the best air fryer green beans, along with some possible variations to try:
- Wash and dry your green beans. It’s important to rinse your green beans well under cold water, and make sure to dry them well. Then the beans will crisp up nicely if they aren’t saturated with water.
- Air fryers cook differently. Check the beans at 4 minutes, shake the basket, and cook for another 2-4 minutes (or longer, until the beans are cooked to your desired doneness).
- More isn’t always better. Stick to 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Adding more will result in beans that are overly salty.
- Add nuts. For extra crunch, sprinkle chopped or slivered almonds, crushed walnuts, or pecans over your cooked green beans.
- Add bacon. We love green beans with bacon, and cooked, crumbled bacon is a great way to bring a Southern-style twist to this air fryer recipe, too.
What Goes With Air Fryer Green Beans?
Green beans are a delicious and versatile side dish, it’s no wonder they’re such a staple during the holidays and beyond. There are so many ways to serve these garlicky green beans. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Chicken. Green beans pair great with easy chicken recipes like zesty lemon pepper chicken drumsticks, creamy garlic parmesan chicken, or saucy crock pot chicken and gravy.
- Beef. Serve beans with a side of beef tips and gravy or easy air fryer steak bites.
- Potatoes. Does it get more classic than a side of green beans and fluffy mashed potatoes? You can also use your air fryer to make air fryer onion and potatoes.
- Holidays. Air fryer green beans are a great option during the holidays, when the oven is otherwise tied up with a Thanksgiving turkey or Christmas roast. Serve these with more easy sides like sweet potato casserole and festive cheesy herb crescent rolls.
- Asian. Round out a meal of crispy bang bang shrimp and air fryer orange chicken for a healthier version of take-out at home.
- Pasta. These green beans are a great healthy side dish to serve with your favorite pasta recipes. Try them next to our white chicken lasagna rollups.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store. Store any leftover green beans in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To reheat. Reheat the beans in the microwave, or return them to the air fryer for 3-5 minutes until warmed through.
- Freeze. To freeze leftover green beans, store them airtight and freeze them for up to 2-3 months. Defrost frozen beans in the fridge before reheating.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Fried Avocado
- Chicken Legs in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fresh garlic, or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Sesame seeds, optional topping
- Preheat air fryer to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, toss to combine the green beans, oil, soy sauce, garlic, and pepper.
- Place green beans in air fryer basket. Cook on 375°F for 8-10 minutes, until tender, stirring the green beans half way through.
- Serve immediately garnished with sesame seeds, if desired.