You can make this copycat Bang Bang Shrimp recipe at home in just under 30 minutes! Made with a sweet and tangy sauce, this perfectly fried shrimp is the BEST appetizer or party snack.
Table of Contents
Copycat Bonefish Grill Bang Bang Shrimp
Bonefish Grill makes such great Bang Bang Shrimp that even other restaurants started copying it. The idea of tossing crispy fried shrimp in a creamy yet tangy and spicy sauce is culinary brilliance. And guess what? You can make it at home now!
In fact, this isn’t the first time we’ve made Bang Bang Shrimp. We have a tried and true Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp recipe that you’ll love if you’re trying to avoid deep frying your food. But, if you’re looking for the real deal, this recipe is it.
Juicy and plump large shrimp are tossed in panko breadcrumbs, then the shrimp are fried until they are perfectly golden brown. The final touch is tossing them with our delicious Bang Bang Sauce! Every bite is full of satisfying crunch and sweet and spicy flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Fried Shrimp Recipe
This is one of our favorite shrimp recipes and we think it will be one of yours, too! Here’s why we love this recipe so much:
- The texture is terrific. Panko breadcrumbs give this shrimp a perfectly crispy, crunchy exterior, but the interior stays juicy and tender! Every bite is truly a delight.
- It’s easier than it looks. You don’t need a restaurant kitchen to replicate this recipe. You just need a few simple kitchen tools to deep fry your shrimp. It’s a quick and simple recipe without a lot of fuss.
- You can make it in under 30 minutes. This recipe doesn’t take very long at all, just 25 minutes of your time! It’s perfect for a last minute appetizer or before-dinner snack.
- It’s great for parties. You can make this shrimp a fun weeknight meal or serve it at your next party. Everyone will love it!
What Is Bang Bang Shrimp?
Bang bang shrimp was originally made popular by Bonefish Grill. It’s their most-loved appetizer and with good reason!
Deep-fried shrimp are tossed in a creamy sauce made with sweet chili sauce, mayonnaise, sriracha, rice vinegar, and garlic. You can garnish the shrimp with fresh herbs like chives or green onions too, if you like. The shrimp are delicious on their own, but you can also serve them with a salad or a side of rice.
Here is what you’ll need to make crispy bang bang shrimp at home. Take note that the recipe card below has the exact amounts of each ingredient listed.
- All-Purpose Flour: Flour is used as part of the breading. It also helps flavor the shrimp, too, because you’ll mix it with the seasoning.
- Cajun Seasoning: You can use the bottle that you find at the store but we highly recommend trying our Homemade Cajun Seasoning. It has so much more fresh flavor!
- Eggs: The eggs help the breading stick to the shrimp. The eggs are the “glue” that holds the panko breadcrumbs onto the shrimp.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: Using panko breadcrumbs create a light and golden brown crust on the shrimp. It’s perfect for light breading and deep frying.
- Large Shrimp: The shrimp need to be peeled and deveined. You can also use smaller shrimp too, just remember that the frying time won’t be as long.
- Vegetable Oil: This is the oil that you’ll be using to deep fry. You can also use canola oil.
- Bang Bang Sauce: This is the star of the recipe! Follow our quick and simple recipe for homemade bang bang sauce (linked above!).
- Green Onions: Sliced green onions are used as a garnish. They also add a bit of freshness to the final plate! We also like to use chopped cilantro as a garnish sometimes.
How to Make Bang Bang Shrimp
Okay let’s talk about the shrimp-making process! It’s quite simple – here’s how to make this bang bang shrimp recipe:
- First, you’ll need to prep the breading station. Mix the flour with the cajun seasoning in one bowl.
- Then, beat the eggs in a separate bowl and set aside. The eggs need to be whisked really well so that they coat the shrimp evenly.
- Also, pour the panko into another bowl. These three separate bowls make up the breading station for your shrimp.
- It’s also time to make the bang bang sauce. You can do this ahead of time instead, if you want, and store the sauce in the fridge.
- Next, bread the shrimp. First, make sure that your shrimp are clean, shelled, and deveined. Then, dip them into the flour mixture, the egg mixture, and lastly the panko breadcrumbs. Do this until all of the shrimp are breaded and set aside.
- Now, deep fry the shrimp! Fry the shrimp on the stovetop in a heavy pot. Make sure that the oil is hot before you start frying. Also, it’s important to work in small batches so that the shrimp cook evenly and the oil isn’t overcrowded.
- Toss the shrimp in the sauce after they are all cooked. Once the shrimp are all done, gently toss them in the bang bang sauce. Then garnish with the fresh sliced green onions, and serve immediately!
Tips for Success
Frying shrimp at home can be really simple. Here are a few tips and tricks to follow so that you end up with the best bang bang shrimp possible:
- Make sure that everything is ready to go. This recipe moves fast once the oil heats up! So it’s best to have everything prepared ahead of time and ready to go on the counter.
- Have a “wet hand” and a “dry hand” while dredging the shrimp. Doing this helps you to avoid making a big clumpy mess! Use one hand to handle the dry ingredients (flour and panko) and the other to handle the wet (the eggs).
- Sift the panko and remove clumps if it gets messy. If the panko does develop some clumps, try and remove them from the bowl because they will not stick to the shrimp as well.
- Use the right sized pot. We like to use a small to medium-sized pot with deep sides. If you use a large and shallow pot, you’ll have to use more oil so that the shrimp fry correctly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bang bang sauce is made with sweet chili sauce, mayo, sriracha, garlic, and more. It’s spicy, a little bit sweet, and super delicious!
Bang bang shrimp gets its name from the way the flavors collide in your mouth. The kick from the chili sauce and the sriracha creates a sweet and spicy flavor explosion – hence the idea of a “bang!”
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp. It’s very important that you thaw the shrimp in the fridge before breading and deep frying, though.
What Goes With Bang Bang Shrimp?
Here are some of our favorite foods that pair really well with bang bang shrimp.
- Serve the shrimp on top of rice. We love to make this meal a dinner by serving the shrimp on top of our Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Place them on top of a simple salad. You can dress up some spring greens with a little bit of olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper, and then add the crispy fried shrimp for a yummy lunch!
- Make it an appetizer night! Sometimes we love to serve a bunch of apps for dinner. You could pair the shrimp with Chicken Lettuce Wraps and Pulled Pork Nachos.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
This bang bang shrimp recipe is best served fresh and does not store very well. The shrimp will get soggy, especially if the sauce is added. So, it’s best to eat the shrimp right away and only make as much as you plan to eat.
More Easy Shrimp Recipes
Ready to give some more simple shrimp dinner ideas a try? We highly recommend these ones!
Bang Bang Shrimp
Juicy and crispy fried shrimp are tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce that everyone will love! Make this easy shrimp recipe in 25 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2x batches Homemade Bang Bang Sauce
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk to combine the flour and Cajun Seasoning. Set aside.
- Place beaten eggs in a separate shallow bowl and the panko bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge one shrimp through the seasoned flour on all sides. Then place floured shrimp in egg and then coat the shrimp in the bread crumbs. Repeat until all shrimp are breaded.
- In a medium size heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat, until it reaches 375°F. (You can also check if your oil is ready by dropping in a few breadcrumbs. If they sizzle, your oil is ready.)
- Fry shrimp in batches, making sure not to crowd the shrimp, for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. Remove shrimp from oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate or tray to drain. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Toss shrimp immediately in bang bang sauce and serve topped with green onions!
- Storage: This Bang Bang Shrimp recipe is best served fresh and does not store very well. They will get soggy, especially if the sauce is added. So it’s best to eat the shrimp right away and only make as much as you plan to eat.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1655Total Fat: 121gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 103gCholesterol: 665mgSodium: 3303mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 69g