These delicious Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are healthy, simple to make, and ready in 25 minutes! Garlic, ginger, and hoisin sauce make the chicken incredibly flavorful, and each bite is made perfect with crunchy lettuce.
Easy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Eating healthy doesn’t always have to mean salads! Make lettuce so much more fun when you enjoy it in a wrap form. Crunchy, fresh pieces of lettuce are handheld and filled with the most deliciously flavored Asian-inspired chicken mixture. These are anything but bland and boring!
You’ve likely heard of or had the lettuce wraps from P. F. Changs before. We won’t lie – they’re pretty good. However, these homemade wraps taste a million times fresher than the ones from their kitchen! And bonus points, they are more budget friendly as well. 😉
Ground chicken is combined with crunchy water chestnuts, matchstick carrots, and green onions to make a nutritious, low-calorie filling for the wraps. What really steals the show here, though, is the sauce that’s made with a combination of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, Sriracha, and more!
- Sesame Oil – This adds so much more flavor to the meat than olive oil.
- Ground Chicken – Ground turkey, pork or beef can all be used as well.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic for the best flavor!
- Hoisin Sauce – In a pinch, oyster sauce can be used instead.
- Soy Sauce – We like to stay on the healthier side with either low sodium soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos.
- Rice Wine Vinegar – The signature tangy, yet slightly sweet flavor is perfect for this filling.
- Sriracha – Add more than what’s called for if you like more heat!
- Water Chestnuts – Drain and chop these before adding them to the mix.
- Matchstick Carrots – We buy these ready to go in a baggie, but you can shred them yourself if you’d prefer.
- Green Onions – Remember to reserve some for garnish.
- Ginger – Fresh ginger is what you should use, not dried or paste ginger.
- Cilantro – This is optional, but highly recommended garnish if you like the flavor of cilantro!
- Lettuce – For the best wraps, use butter lettuce or Bibb lettuce.
How to Make Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These lettuce wraps are an inexpensive meal that’s made in under 30 minutes with hassle-free steps. Chances are, you can make them faster than a food delivery app can get them to your front door from a chain restaurant!
Cook the chicken. In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil and ground chicken. Cook chicken until crumbled and brown, breaking apart as you cook.
Make it fragrant. Add your garlic and continue cooking for 1 more minute.
Add the sauce ingredients. Next, add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sriracha to the cooked chicken and simmer for about 2 minutes.
Add the veggies. Add water chestnuts, carrots, green onions and ginger, cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
Enjoy! Serve the filling wrapped in lettuce and top with extra green onions and cilantro, if desired.
Tips for the Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Use Sesame Oil. While you can opt for avocado or olive oil to cook the chicken in, we prefer sesame oil because of the unique nutty flavor it adds.
- Make It Spicy. If you like spicy food, consider adding more Sriracha or crushed red pepper flakes to the mixture with the other sauce ingredients. This recipe as it is posted is mild to please the whole family, but it’s easy to add extra heat if desired!
- Add More Veggies. If you want to make these lettuce wraps even healthier, consider adding beansprouts, mushrooms, or chopped baby corn! You can add whatever veggies you enjoy!
- Pick The Right Lettuce. You want to pick a lettuce that will work well for wraps. We recommend Bibb lettuce, butter lettuce or romaine. They all work great and hold up well when filled and folded.
Can I Prep These Ahead?
Absolutely! You can prep the filling up to 2 days ahead and store it in the fridge until ready to serve. Technically you can store the filling for up to 5 days, but I like it best in the first couple of days while the veggies are still crisp.
These lettuce wraps make a great weekly meal prep for easy lunches or dinners, but they are a great party appetizer too! You can keep the filling warm in a crockpot and everyone can make fresh lettuce wraps.
How to Store Lettuce Wraps
Store the meat and lettuce in separate airtight containers in the fridge. Properly stored, your leftovers should stay fresh for about 5 days!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken, or turkey
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- ½ cup matchstick carrots
- ½ cup green onions diced, and more for topping
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Cilantro, optional garnish
- 1 head butter or bib lettuce
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil and ground chicken. Cook chicken until crumbled and brown, breaking apart as you cook.
- Add garlic and continue cook for 1 more minute. Then add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sriracha to cooked chicken and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add water chestnuts, carrots, green onions and ginger, cooking for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Serve wrapped in lettuce and top with extra green onions and cilantro, if desired.
More 30 Minute Easy Dinner Ideas
Looking for more quick and easy dinner recipes? Lucky for you, that’s what we are the best at! Here are a few of our favorite easy dinner ideas: