This easy Creamy Egg Salad recipe is healthy, quick to make, and uses simple ingredients! Fresh dill and finely chopped red onions add extra flavor to this classic dish that your family will love. Serve it as a lettuce wrap, sandwich or with crackers!
The BEST Egg Salad Recipe
No matter how it’s served, there’s one thing for certain – we can’t get enough of homemade Egg Salad! Skip the packaged stuff from the deli section of the grocery store, and instead, make this flavorful, protein packed salad at home. That bland store-bought Egg Salad can’t hold a candle to it!
What makes this Egg Salad so delicious is the addition of finely chopped red onions, aromatic fresh dill, tangy Dijon mustard, vibrant green chives, and just a little salt and pepper. The mayonnaise keeps the consistency perfectly creamy as well.
With beach season coming up (or if you’re Floridian like us, it’s already here), Egg Salad always comes in handy! Whether you enjoy a picnic in the park or by the sea, Egg Salad sandwiches are always a great go-to lunch. It’s also great when served as a side dish, or as a hearty snack with crackers or cucumbers!
This list of ingredients is short, inexpensive, and easily accessible! In fact, you likely already have just about everything you need in your kitchen.
- Hard Boiled Eggs – There are two easy ways to make hard boiled eggs! You can either make some Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs or Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs for quick, easy, and perfect results every time.
- Mayonnaise – For it to be extra creamy, use a full fat mayo as opposed to a low fat option. However, if you are wanting to cut calories, you can swap half of the mayo for some plain greek yogurt.
- Dijon Mustard – We recommend dijon mustard over regular yellow mustard, it adds a lot more flavor.
- Red Onions – Red onions have the most potent flavor, which makes them stand out even more in this Egg Salad recipe. You can also use shallots for a milder flavor.
- Chives – Chives add a very mild onion taste that compliment the red onions and lend a more fresh flavor to the recipe.
- Dill – Use fresh dill for the best aromatic results.
- Salt + Pepper: use salt and pepper, to taste.
How to Make Egg Salad
This quick, easy, and classic Egg Salad recipe will only take you a few minutes to whip up. It’s perfect to make for lunch when you’re hungry and want something fast and homemade!
Combine the ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, onion, chives, dill, salt, and pepper. Gently stir until well combined.
Enjoy! Serve on your favorite toasted bread, wrapped in lettuce, or with crackers.
Tips for the Best Egg Salad
- Try to use fresh dill. If you don’t have any fresh dill, dried dill will work in a pinch. With that being said, fresh dill is definitely preferred.
- Get the best consistency for your preferences. Prefer a super smooth texture? Finely chop the hard boiled eggs prior to mixing the ingredients.
- Alter the flavors. If you’re craving some heat, consider adding a tablespoon (or more) of either sriracha or horseradish, to taste.
- Cool the eggs. Make sure your hard boiled eggs have cooled to room temperature before you combine all of the ingredients.
- Use the best eggs. The more golden in color the yolk is, the higher quality and nutrient dense the egg is. Since eggs are the star of the show here, try to pick the best eggs at the grocery store – or better yet – farmer’s market. We personally prefer pasture raised eggs the best, they always have deep yellow/orange yolks!
How to Cook Eggs for Egg Salad
You will need to hard boil your eggs for egg salad. You can do that many different ways, just make sure you do not over cook your eggs. Overcooked hard boiled eggs will have a green ring around the yolk. Overcooked eggs are drier and the yolks are not as creamy, giving you a less than perfect egg salad.
Here are the two ways we like to make hard boiled eggs that are quick to make, never overcooked, and easy to peel.
How to Serve Egg Salad
Egg Salad can be served many different ways, here are a few of our favorites:
- Egg Salad Sandwich: The traditional way! Dress it up however you would like with greens, tomatoes, onions, cheese, etc.
- Stuffed Avocado: Slice an avocado in half and stuff it with egg salad! If you are feeling adventurous, you can also make an Air Fryer Fried Avocado to stuff!
- Lettuce wrap: We love to use Bibb or butter lettuce to make lettuce wraps. Romaine lettuce also works greats as little lettuce boats.
- Breakfast Sandwich/Toast: I have also been known to toast a slice of good hearty bread and top it with egg salad for breakfast.
- Crackers/Veggies: It’s also delicious served with crackers or different veggies to scoop it up. We recommend sliced English cucumbers or baby bell peppers!
Place your Egg Salad into an airtight food storage container. In the fridge, it’ll stay fresh for up to 5 days, which means this is a great make ahead recipe!
We don’t recommend freezing Egg Salad.
Creamy Egg Salad
- 8 hard boiled eggs**, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions, or shallots
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, add eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, onion, chives, and dill. Gently stir, until well combined.
- Season to taste, with salt and pepper. We recommending starting with 1/2 teaspoon of each and seeing how it tastes to you.
- Serve on your favorite toasted bread, wrapped in lettuce, or with crackers.
Looking For More Lunch Ideas?
I know we are all about easy dinners around here, but we also love to meal prep for easy lunches throughout the week. Here are a few more of our favorite easy lunch ideas: