These quick and easy Chicken Burrito Bowls are an easy meal prep for lunch or dinner! Our favorite salsa chicken is served with plenty of flavorful, bold ingredients on a bed of cilantro lime rice. Sorry, Chipotle – these homemade bowls might be even better than yours!
Easy Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
We’re all guilty of a midday Chipotle run, right? It’s a quick and easy fast food option that doesn’t give you an upset stomach from all the grease and fat of a drive-thru. With that being said, neither of us are too keen on spending $10 on a bowl of simple ingredients that we can’t even customize the way we really want to.
Enter these incredibly delicious Chicken Burrito Bowls! These budget-friendly bowls are ideal for either lunch or dinner. They’re healthy, customizable as can be, and the avocados/guac is never extra. Plus, they’re kid-friendly as well, which is always a huge plus in our homes. It’s pretty fun to set up all the toppings on the kitchen counter and let the kids make their own bowls, too!
These are a wonderful meal prep recipe for easy lunches or dinners throughout the week. I like to prep everything on Sunday and then I have a delicious, filling and healthy lunch for the whole week!
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken – While you could shred a rotisserie chicken and call it a day, your burrito bowls deserve a little more flavor than that. This salsa chicken is super easy to make and adds a ton of flavor. It can also be made in the crockpot if you would prefer that cooking method.
- Lettuce – Shredded romaine lettuce is what we use, but use whatever kind you enjoy!
- Cilantro Lime Rice – This white rice made with fresh lime juice and cilantro adds a TON of bright flavor to the bowl. However, if you are in a time pinch, those ready rice packs work great too. You can also skip the rice completely and add more lettuce for yummy salad bowls.
- Skillet Fried Corn – This easy to make topping is one of our favorites, but canned corn or even frozen corn (let it thaw!) work great.
- Black Beans – They’ll need to be rinsed and drained prior to being tossed into the bowl. You can swap these out for whatever kind of beans you like. Black beans go well with Mexican flavors, but I also think chick peas would be tasty.
- Pico de Gallo – No burrito bowl is ever truly complete without this combination of fresh flavors. We like to make our own, but you can also grab it already prepped at the store in the produce section.
- Avocados – You can substitute this with guacamole if you’d prefer.
- Red Onion – Their vibrant color and potent flavor make them perfect for these bowls. If you want to take it an extra step, you can also use pickled red onions.
- Jalapeño – Omit this if you want to avoid a little heat. You can also use candied or pickled jalapeños for a milder flavor.
- Cilantro Lime Crema – This silky smooth fresh crema is so good, you’ll want to add even more than what’s called for! It’s packed with flavor and adds a bold punch to your burrito bowl. However, you can also use something like ranch or avocado ranch to drizzle on top.
- Garnishes – Top your bowls off with fresh cilantro and lime wedges. If you skip the cilantro lime crema, you could add some creamy Cotija cheese on top instead.
How to Make A Chicken Burrito Bowl
These bowls are easy to assemble and even easier to eat!
Assemble. Divide the lettuce, chicken, cilantro lime rice, corn, beans, pico de Gallo, avocado, onion and jalapeño.
Garnish, and enjoy! Drizzle with cilantro lime crema, to taste. Garnish with cilantro on top. Serve immediately!
Variations to Try
While we love this bowl just the way it is, there are plenty of ways you can customize it to your own preferences while not sacrificing any flavor.
- Rice. If you’re not a huge fan of cilantro lime rice, you can use plain white rice instead.
- Corn. Skillet corn is by far our favorite topping here, but you can swap it for frozen or even canned corn if preferred.
- Pico. Running short on time? Instead of making our homemade pico de gallo, buy a container from the produce section of your grocery store.
- No Heat Please. If you don’t want the heat of a jalapeño but you do want the crunch, swap it for a green bell pepper.
In an airtight container, your leftovers will stay fresh for about 5-7 days. We recommend storing the cilantro lime crema separately from the rest of the burrito bowl, so all of the ingredients stay nice and fresh.
If you want to meal prep this recipe for a busy week, I recommend storing the ingredients sepeartely if possible. When I make these for easy week lunches, I like my chicken, rice, beans and corn to be hot. The lettuce, avocado, pico, red onion and cilantro I like to stay chilled.
So I usually store them in individual containers so I can heat up what I want quickly in the microwave and then toss everything together in a bowl!
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Divide the lettuce, chicken, cilantro lime rice, corn, beans, pico de Gallo, avocado, onion and jalapeño.
- Drizzle with cilantro lime crema, to taste. Garnish with cilantro on top. Serve immediately!
Looking For More Easy Chicken Recipes?
We have a ton! Chicken is universally loved and budget friendly. Here are some of our favorite chicken recipes: