These easy Air Fryer Fried Avocados have a crispy breaded exterior with a warm, soft and creamy avocado interior! They are delicious all on their own, but are our new favorite vessel to serve stuffed with chicken salad, tuna salad and more!
Air Fryer Fried Avocado
If you are an avocado lover, you must try frying it in an air fryer! The first time my mom made this for me, I fell immediately in love. You get a perfect crispy breaded exterior with a soft, creamy and warm avocado inside. It’s the perfect combination and truly addicting!
There are two ways to do fried avocado, slices or halves. If slice your avocado into slices to make fried avocado fries, you can drizzle or dip them in an amazing Cilantro Lime Crema or use them to make Avocado Tacos!
Or you can slice the avocado into two halves and air fry it so we can stuff it with different kinds of tasty fillings! I’ll give a bunch of ideas down below, but first you have to try as a Caprese Stuffed Air Fried Avocado!
Our method for fried avocado in the air fryer takes about 10 minutes start to finish and requires just 4 ingredients: avocado, seasoned breadcrumbs, salt and pepper! It seriously couldn’t be any easier!
The secret to perfect fried avocado in the air fryer
Your avocados MUST be firm and just starting to ripen, but not be soft yet. When you press on the avocado, you want it to give just the slightest bit. You do not want it to actually be soft like you would for guacamole.
Look for an avocado that has black skin, but is still firm. When you press on it, you should feel a slight give, but it should not be soft or mushy.
Once you fry the avocado in the air fryer, it will soften with the baking and the heat, giving you the perfect texture once it’s cooked! Softer avocados will become mushy and almost too soft to enjoy. They are also hard to coat in the breadcrumbs.
What is the Best Air Fryer?
Air fryers come in two different styles. The more popular type has a drawer/basket that slides in the front and usually doesn’t require preheating. The second type looks like a toaster oven and opens with a door, like a mini version of a regular oven.
We have tried a few different air fryers and these are our three favorites depending on your budget and air fryer style preference:
- Large Budget Friendly Basket Style: 8 Qt Gourmia Air Fryer
- Best Large Basket Air Fryer: Power XL 10 Qt Air Fryer
- Toaster Oven Style Air Fryer: Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven
You will only need 4 ingredients to make these air fryer fried avocados and two of them are kitchen stapes, salt and pepper! Couldn’t be any simpler! Here’s what you need:
- Avocado: an avocado that is firm, but has a very slight give to it. Read above for a description on how to pick a perfect avocado for air frying.
- Seasoned Panko Breadcrumbs
- Avocado or Olive Oil Spray: optional!
Should I use an oil spray?
We have tested these air fryer fried avocados with and without 100% avocado oil (or olive oil) spray misted lightly over them. There is honestly not much of a difference. The breadcrumbs crisp up and brown just as well without the oil spray misted on them.
I *think* I give just an edge to the avocado that was misted, but my Mom didn’t taste any difference so she doesn’t even bother with the oil. Try it both ways and see which you personally prefer!
How to make fried avocado
Peel your avocado. Slice your avocado in half and carefully peel the skin off your avocado. If your avocado is a firmer ripe avocado (like it should be!), removing the outside peel is easier.
Season your avocado. I like to season ours with garlic salt and pepper. However, you can use regular salt and pepper as well.
Bread your avocado. Press your avocado halves into the seasoned Panko breadcrumbs on all sides, fully coating the avocado. The Panko breadcrumbs will stick right to the avocado!
Mist with oil. *this is an optional step* Lightly mist your breaded avocados with 100% avocado oil (or olive oil).
Air Fry. Place the avocado halves in the air fryer basket and cook them at 375°F for 7 minutes. Carefully transfer the hot avocados quickly to a plate! They’ll be pretty hot, so be careful not to burn your hands.
How to serve air fryer fried avocados?
There are a ton of ways you can serve these fried avocados! They are delicious all on their own or with a flavorful cream based sauce like the Cilantro Lime Crema recipe below.
They also elevate a regular every day salad to restaurant levels when served warm on top of a salad! Our other favorite way is to stuff them with different types of stuffings. Here are a few fun additional ideas for fried stuffed avocados:
- Caprese Stuffed Air Fried Avocados
- Tuna Melt: stuff cooked avocados with tuna salad, top with cheese and air fry for an additional 2 minutes to melt the cheese and warm the tuna salad.
- Chicken Salad: stuff and serve.
- Pulled Pork Or Pulled Chicken: stuff with pulled pork and top with cheese, if desired. Can air fry for an additional 2 minutes to melt the cheese. Drizzle with bbq sauce and serve.
- Scrambled Eggs: fill them with scrambled eggs and cheese and top them with fresh salsa.
- Fries: You can slice them into strips and make fries!
These Air Fried Avocados have quickly become a staple in our lives. We enjoy them all different times of the day in different ways, but especially when they are stuffed with a caprese salad. They can be served for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner, they really are so versatile when you stuff them with your favorite things!
Don’t miss the recipe above for the easy Cilantro Lime Crema. Drizzle it over these fried avocados and I promise they will disappear in seconds!
- 2 **avocados peeled, seeded and halved
- 3/4 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado oil spray (or olive oil spray) *optional
- Cilantro Lime Crema, optional sauce
1. Slice avocado in half and remove skin and seed from avocado.
2. Place breadcrumbs on a plate and press avocado halves into bread crumbs till well coated on all sides.
3. Optional: Can mist lightly with pure avocado oil spray, if desired.
4. Place breaded avocados in air fryer basket and cook at 375°F for 7 minutes.
**Look for an avocado that has black skin, but is still firm. When you press on it, you should feel a slight give, but it should not be soft or mushy. Read more in the post above for how to pick the perfect avocado for air frying.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 15gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Hungry for more? Here are some of our favorite veggie-inclusive recipes!