This easy Air Fryer Fried Avocado has a crispy breaded exterior with a warm, soft and creamy avocado interior! It’s delicious all on its own, but may be our new favorite vessel to serve stuffed with chicken salad, tuna salad and more!
Why You’ll Love This Fried Avocado Recipe
If you love recipes with avocado, you must try frying it in an air fryer! The first time my mom made this for me, I fell immediately in love. Here’s why you’ll love it too:
- Perfect Combo of Textures: You get a perfect crispy breaded exterior with a soft, creamy and warm avocado inside. It’s the perfect combination and truly addicting!
- Super Versatile: There are two ways to do fried avocado: slices or halves. If you cut your avocado into slices to make avocado fries, you can drizzle or dip them in an amazing cilantro lime crema or use them to make avocado tacos! Or, you can slice the avocado into two halves and stuff it with different kinds of tasty fillings! We’ll give a bunch of ideas down below, but first you have to try as a caprese stuffed air fried avocado!
- Super Easy: Our method for fried avocado in the air fryer takes about 10 minutes start to finish and requires just 4 ingredients: avocado, seasoned breadcrumbs, salt and pepper! It seriously couldn’t be any easier!
What You’ll Need
You will only need 4 ingredients to make these air fryer avocados and two of them are kitchen staples – salt and pepper! Couldn’t be any simpler! Scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Avocado: Choose an avocado that is firm, but has a very slight give to it. Read below for a description on how to pick a perfect avocado for air frying.
- Seasoned Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- Avocado or Olive Oil Spray: Totally optional, but it can give the breadcrumbs more crunch.
How to Choose an Avocado
Your avocados MUST be firm and just starting to ripen, but not be soft yet. When you press on the avocado, you want it to give just the slightest bit. You do not want it to actually be soft like you would for guacamole.
Look for an avocado that has black skin, but is still firm. When you press on it, you should feel a slight give, but it should not be soft or mushy.
Once you fry the avocado in the air fryer, it will soften with the baking and the heat, giving you the perfect texture once it’s cooked! Softer avocados will become mushy and almost too soft to enjoy. They are also hard to coat in the breadcrumbs.
What Is the Best Air Fryer?
Air fryers come in two different styles. The more popular type has a drawer/basket that slides in the front and usually doesn’t require preheating. The second type looks like a toaster oven and opens with a door, like a mini version of a regular oven.
We have tried a few different air fryers and these are our three favorites depending on your budget and air fryer style preference:
- Large Budget Friendly Basket Style: 8 Qt Gourmia Air Fryer
- Best Large Basket Air Fryer: Power XL 10 Qt Air Fryer
- Toaster Oven Style Air Fryer: Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven
How to Make Air Fryer Avocados
In just 10 minutes, you’ll be ready to enjoy one of our favorite avocado recipes! Check out the recipe card for detailed instructions.
- Prep: Slice your avocado in half and carefully peel the skin off. Season it with salt and pepper (or garlic salt – YUM!), and then press into the breadcrumbs. Be sure to fully coat the avocado with Panko otherwise it won’t get crispy! Mist with avocado oil if you’d like.
- Air Fry: Place the avocado halves in the air fryer basket and cook them at 375°F for 7 minutes. Carefully transfer the hot avocados quickly to a plate! They’ll be pretty hot, so be careful not to burn your hands.
Tips for Best Results
Here are a few tips to help make this one of your all time favorite avocado recipes ever!
- Avocados: We know we already mentioned this, but it bears repeating. Look for an avocado that has black skin, but is still firm. When you press on it, you should feel a slight give, but it should not be soft or mushy.
- Panko: There is something unique about the texture of Panko breadcrumbs over any kind. They really do make a difference here!
- Preheat: Some air fryers have a preheat setting. If yours does, make sure to use it before putting the avocados inside. It’ll make a big difference on the overall cook.
How to Serve Fried Avocado
There are a ton of ways you can serve these fried avocados! They are delicious all on their own or with a flavorful cream based sauce like our cilantro lime crema recipe. They also elevate a regular every day salad to restaurant levels when served warm on top of a salad! Our other favorite way is to stuff them with different types of stuffings. Here are a few fun additional ideas for fried stuffed avocados:
- Tuna Melt: Stuff cooked avocados with tuna salad, top with cheese and air fry for an additional 2 minutes to melt the cheese and warm the tuna salad.
- Chicken Salad: Stuff and serve.
- Pulled Pork or Pulled Chicken: Stuff with pulled pork and top with cheese, if desired. Can air fry for an additional 2 minutes to melt the cheese. Drizzle with bbq sauce and serve.
- Scrambled Eggs: Fill them with scrambled eggs and cheese and top them with fresh salsa.
- Fries: You can slice them into strips and make fries!
Does Fried Avocado Make Good Leftovers?
Unfortunately, they really don’t. As with a lot of avocado recipes, this one is best served fresh out of the air fryer. If you were to refrigerate, the breading would lose that delicious crunch and get a little mushy. But since the recipe only takes 10 minutes from start to finish, it’s easy to just make as many as you need in a single serving. Enjoy!
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Steak Kabobs
- Air Fryer Hot Honey Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Fried Avocado
- 2 **avocados peeled, seeded and halved
- ¾ cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado oil spray, or olive oil spray *optional
- Cilantro Lime Crema, optional sauce
- Slice avocado in half and remove skin and seed from avocado.
- Place breadcrumbs on a plate and press avocado halves into bread crumbs till well coated on all sides.
- Optional: Can mist lightly with pure avocado oil spray, if desired.
- Place breaded avocados in air fryer basket and cook at 375°F for 7 minutes.