The BEST Air Fryer Fried Pickles are made with simple pantry ingredients for extra crispy outsides, juicy insides, and all the great flavor of deep fried pickles without the guilt! They are the perfect party appetizer ready in just 20 minutes!
Table of Contents
Healthy Fried Pickles in the Air Fryer
I don’t know about you, but fried pickles are one of our absolute favorite foods. They’re the perfect snack, appetizer, or a fun side dish. There’s just something magical about the crispy coating, juicy pickle, and briny flavor. Dip them in some remoulade sauce or ranch dressing and watch how quickly they disappear!
Deep fried pickles are a little bit of a hassle to make at home, but these air fryer fried pickles couldn’t be easier. You don’t need a lot of ingredients or time, and you don’t need a deep fryer either. All you need is 20 minutes, a handful of basic ingredients, and an air fryer.
My secret trick is to coat the pickles in mayo and mustard before they are dredged in flour, so they stay extra moist AND the coating sticks well to the pickles. It works perfectly and is now the only way we will make fried pickles!
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Fried Pickle Recipe
Fried pickles are popular at restaurants, bars, and fairs for a reason: they’re insanely delicious! Here’s why we know you’ll love these juicy air fryer fried pickles.
- So quick. These fried pickles only take 20 minutes to make. You can easily throw them together anytime you have a craving ! They also only use a few common ingredients, so you’ll probably always have what you need to make this tasty snack.
- Healthier. Fried food is delicious, but we all know it’s usually not very healthy. That’s why I love using the air fryer. These air fryer pickles taste just as good as deep fried pickles (really they do – just trust us and try them!), but you only need a tiny amount of oil.
- Mess-free. Not only are deep fryers unhealthy, but they’re pretty messy, too. They splatter oil everywhere, leaving your kitchen a sticky mess. And when you’re done, you’re left with a pot full of hot, dirty oil. Making air fryer fried pickles is virtually mess-free. The air fryer won’t leave grease everywhere, so you’ll be left with a clean kitchen when you’re done.
- Great for parties. Everybody loves fried pickles, and I’ve found out that people are really impressed when you serve them homemade fried pickles. They’re one of my favorite foods to put on the table when I’m hosting a party, and you can easily make a large batch of them. Plus, they stay delicious even as they start to cool down.
What You’ll Need
Here are the 7 ingredients that you’ll need to make these cajun-spiced air fried pickles. Make sure to check out the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Dill Pickles: Make sure to use pickles that have already been sliced, or you can also do this with pickle spears! Keep in mind the pickle spears may need a couple extra minutes of cook time.
- Flour: We recommend using all purpose flour.
- Cornmeal: Finely ground yellow cornmeal.
- Cajun Seasoning: We love our Homemade Cajun Seasoning, but if you would like to use store-bought we highly recommend Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.
- Yellow Mustard: This is a secret we learned years ago and it truly makes the BEST pickles! Just trust us!
- Cooking Spray: You can also use olive oil or avocado oil cooking spray.
- Optional Dipping Sauce: Ranch Dip, Ranch Dressing, Remoulade Sauce, Blue Cheese Dressing, Bang Bang Sauce, etc! You can use any sauce you like!
How to Make Air Fryer Fried Pickles
Here’s how to make these easy pickles in the air fryer in just 20 minutes.
- Prep. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F.
- Dry the pickles. Drain the pickles in a colander, then pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Place the flour, cornmeal, and cajun seasoning in a resealable plastic bag. Seal the bag, and shake until the ingredients are combined.
- Make the wet batter. Add the mayonnaise and mustard to a bowl, and stir until they’re well combined.
- Add the pickles. Place the pickles in the bowl with the wet batter. Use a fork to stir them until they’re well coated.
- Dredge the pickles. Place a few of the pickle slices in the bag with the flour mixture, and shake until they’re fully covered. Put the coated pickle slices on a tray, and repeat with the rest of the pickles.
- Put the pickles in the air fryer. Spray the air fryer basket with a little bit of oil, then place the pickle chips in the basket. Spray the tops of the pickles with more oil.
- Air fry. Cook the fried pickles in the air fryer for 5 minutes, then flip them. Spray them with oil, then fry for 5 more minutes and serve while still hot.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few go-to tricks to use when making air fryer pickle chips.
- Let them dry longer. It’s really important to thoroughly dry the pickles before making this recipe. If the pickles aren’t dry, then the wet batter won’t stick to them. You can get the pickles pretty dry with paper towels, but if you have some extra time, let them air dry after you pat them dry. Let the pickle slices sit for about 20 minutes, then pat them dry again, and proceed with the recipe.
- Make your own seasoning. Cajun seasoning is one of my favorite spice blends. It’s also really easy to make at home! Homemade Cajun Seasoning only takes a few minutes to make, and it’s way better than anything you’ll buy at the store. I always use it when making this recipe.
- Space the pickles out. When you place the pickle chips in the air fryer basket, make sure there’s space between each pickle slice. None of the pickles should be touching, or else they won’t get crispy enough. If you have too many pickles to fit in the air fryer basket, then cook them in batches.
What to Serve With Air Fried Pickles
If you are serving them for a party, I also like to serve them alongside some of my other favorite finger foods like Walking Tacos, Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings, Southern Deviled Eggs, Coconut Shrimp, and Pulled Pork Nachos.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover air fried pickle chips can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, warm them in a 325°F air fryer for 5 minutes. That said, these pickles are definitely at their best when served immediately, so I recommend only making as many fried pickles as you plan on eating.
Can You Freeze Air Fryer Fried Pickles?
We do not recommend freezing fried pickles. The texture of the pickles will not be the same if you freeze and then thaw them.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
I love using my air fryer. It’s such a great way to make quick, easy, and healthy meals. Here are some more of our favorite recipes:
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- Lemon Pepper Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
Best Air Fryer Fried Pickles Recipe
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Drain the pickles in a colander, then lay them flat and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, and cajun seasoning to a gallon ziplock bag. Seal the bag and shake until the ingredients are blended.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the mayonnaise and mustard until combined.
- Add the dry pickle chips to the mayo and mustard mixture and use a fork to move the pickles around until they're coated.
- Move some of the pickles into the ziplock bag, and shake until they're well coated. Transfer the breaded pickle chips to a tray, and continue until all of the pickles have been dredged.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil, and place the pickles in it, making sure not to overcrowd them. Spray the tops of the pickles with more cooking spray.
- Air fry the pickle slices for 10 minutes. Flip them halfway through and lightly spray the other side with cooking spray.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce, such as ranch dressing, tartar sauce, bang bang sauce, and remoulade sauce.