These Walking Tacos are epic party food if you’re looking for something quick, easy, portable and delicious. It has all the best parts of a taco, but in a chip bag! You know what that means? No plates to clean up afterwards!
Fun & Delicious Walking Tacos
Walking tacos are great for taco Tuesdays, camping, tailgating, or anything else that involves a lot of fun! They’re always a huge hit with our families, especially with the little ones. Kids of all ages love these tacos because they can grab them and go. They’re also a great idea for kids because you get to sneak veggies in there like tomatoes, lettuce and guacamole! Plus, I think veggies always taste better coming out of a chip bag.
Adults also love them just as much as the kids do. Believe me, we’ve had our fair share of these bad boys! There’s just something so satisfying about replacing a tortilla with your favorite flavor of chip. It adds crunch and flavor to an already delicious dinner! One of the fun parts of this recipe if letting everyone choose which flavor of chips they’d like. That way, everyone has their own original spin on a walking taco! The biggest piece of advice is to always make a few extra bags, because just like a chip, most people can’t just have one!
There are only five simple ingredients to make the perfect taco meat! Then you only need seven more ingredients to make your walking taco complete.
- Ground beef
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Tomato pasta
- Corn Chips – Feel free to use any flavor of Frito’s or Dorito’s! No matter what you choose, it’s going to be a big hit.
- Sour Cream
- Pico De Gallo
- Shredded Cheese
- Lime Wedges
Like it spicy?
If you’re anything like us, you’ll want to turn up the heat with your walking taco! I like a good spicy taco, so I always top mine off with freshly chopped jalapeños or a good few shakes of hot sauce.
How can I make this vegetarian?
Easy! Just replace the ground beef with black or refried beans. As long as you remember to still use your homemade taco seasoning, it’ll be tasty!
How to make the best ground taco beef:
Did I mention this recipe is incredibly easy? You only need to follow these few easy steps:
- BROWN: Cook the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat, until browned and onion is translucent. Make sure there’s no pink left in the meat before you drain it!
- SIMMER: Stir in your homemade taco seasoning and tomato paste. When combined, add the water and bring the mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until all of the liquid is evaporated.
Make sure to taste the ground beef before you serve it and make sure it has the right amount of spice. I always find myself adding another pinch of salt or sprinkle of taco seasoning before it’s ready to go.
How to make Walking Tacos:
My kids love helping me with this part! It’s the only recipe we make in our kitchen that requires a bag of their favorite chips, so they’re always very eager to join the fun. Do not assemble your walking tacos until you are ready to serve them. If you pre-assemble them, they will get soggy.
- Grab your bags of chips, open them, and add as much taco meat as you would like. I personally like to add about 1/3 cup of the taco meat.
- Now, it’s time to truly customize your walking taco. Top off your bag with all the toppings you like and dive right in. They are really that simple!
Walking Tacos for a crowd:
If you’re serving these for a party or a crowd, we recommend setting up an assembly line of toppings. Essentially like a Walking Taco Bar! That way, everyone can get exactly what they want.
You can also keep the taco meat warm in a slow cooker and ready to go whenever anyone wants to grab a walking taco. I like to set the slow cooker to warm and remember to stir the cooked taco meat occasionally.
I’ve already mentioned this, but it bares repeating – when you’re done with your walking taco, there are NO PLATES to wash! This makes a huge difference if you’re hosting a party, trust me!
These walking tacos are perfect not just because they’re delicious, but also because of their portability and stress free aspects! Seriously, try these at your next get together. You’ll find yourself coming up with reasons to have family and friends come over once you try out this recipe!
These Walking Tacos are epic party food if you're looking for something quick, easy, portable and delicious. It has all the best parts of a taco, but in a chip bag!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 16 individual bags of corn chips (Fritos, tortilla chips, Doritos, etc)
- Sour Cream
- Pico De Gallo
- Shredded Cheese
- Lime Wedges
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat from pan.
- Add seasoning and tomato paste, stir to combine. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered, until the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Taste meat to ensure it’s seasoned enough. If the flavor isn’t there, add more salt or taco seasoning as needed.
- To assemble Walking Tacos: Open individual bags of chips and fill with taco meat and extra toppings as desired! Serve immediately!
Keep taco meat warm in a slow cooker over medium heat for a party!
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 756Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 779mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 24g
3 comments on “Walking Tacos”
LOL, Girl Scouts have been making these for years! They are a huge hit on Girl Scout Campouts.
We had some of my sons friends over last night for his birthday – just 3 of them as we are all being cautious – I made these and they were a HIT! Saw this on facebook and now following along for more easy recipes.
My husband is a HUGE fan of these! He wants them all the time now! LOL