Fresh, healthy, and delicious Caprese Stuffed Air Fried Avocados need to be on your dinner plate tonight. Crispy avocados are stuffed to the brim with juicy cherry tomatoes, basil and baby mozzarella with a drizzle of balsamic glaze on top. This easy vegetarian dinner is truly irresistible!
Caprese Stuffed Air Fryer Avocado
When it comes to guilt free recipes that are actually delicious, this is the first recipe that comes to mind. Sometimes, when the phrases “healthy” or “diet friendly” are tossed around, that might insinuate a less than satisfying meal. But with all that nutrient and fat rich avocado, creamy mozzarella, and fresh tomatoes, we promise this vegetarian meal is still filling!
Also, there’s really nothing better than a tried and true air fryer recipe! We both love fried foods, and using an air fryer is the best way to get that satisfying crunchiness without all the grease and oil. Not to mention, air fryers are famously fast at cooking food. This recipe only calls for 7 minutes total of cooking time!
With spring and summer just around the corner (especially here in Florida), we’re trying to incorporate light, healthy foods into our dinner routines. Well, who said healthy food couldn’t still be mouthwatering and comforting, too?!
The ingredients needed to make this summertime recipe are fresh, flavorful and delicious.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the caprese filling:
- Grape or Cherry Tomatoes: sliced in half
- Baby Mozzarella Balls: or a large mozzarella ball cut into small chunks
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- Balsamic Glaze
For the air fried avocados, you’ll need:
- Avocados: pick an avocado that is firm, but has a very slight give to it. Read our Air Fryer Fried Avocado post for a description on how to pick a perfect avocado for air frying.
- Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs: you will need to use panko, not regular, bread crumbs. The Panko bread crumbs stick to the raw avocado much better.
- Salt and Pepper
- Avocado Oil Spray: optional but can help make the breadcrumbs extra crunchy!
How to Make Caprese Stuffed Air Fryer Avocados
Step 1: Start by making the fresh caprese filling. Toss to combine the tomatoes, mozzarella balls, basil, salt and pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl. Once combined, set the mixture aside.
Step 2: Place the breadcrumbs on a plate and press the avocado halves into the breadcrumbs. Coat the halves evenly on all sides.
Optional – You can mist lightly with pure avocado spray.
Step 3: Place the avocado halves in the air fryer basket and cook them at 375F for 7 minutes.
Step 4: Carefully transfer the hot avocados quickly to a plate! They’ll be pretty hot, so be careful not to burn your hands.
Step 5: Finally, fill the air fried avocados with the delicious caprese filling. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Caprese Stuffed Air Fryer Avocados
- Pick the right avocado. Look for an avocado that has black skin, but is still firm. When you press on it, you should feel a slight give, but it should not be soft or mushy. You don’t want it to be super soft like you would use for guacamole. Once they’re cooked in the air fryer, the avocado will soften up perfectly.
- Should I use an oil spray? Feel free to spritz your avocados with a little 100% olive oil or avocado oil spray before you air fry them. In testing, we didn’t notice much difference in the final results, but you can add it if you wish to keep them extra crisp!
- Don’t mix your caprese salad too early. Once sliced, the tomatoes will soften and the juice will start to pool. I prefer to mix together the caprese filling while the avocados are air frying that way it’s fresh and not too juicy.
WHAT IS THE BEST AIR FRYER?
Air fryers are available in two different styles. The most popular type has a drawer/basket that slides in the front and usually doesn’t require preheating. The second type looks similar to a toaster oven and opens with a door, like a mini version of a regular oven.
I have tried a few different air fryers and these are my three favorites depending on your budget and air fryer style preference:
- Large Budget Friendly Basket Style: 8 Qt Gourmia Air Fryer
- Best Large Basket Air Fryer: Power XL 10 Qt Air Fryer
- Toaster Oven Style Air Fryer: Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven
- Avocados are rich in vitamins K, C, B5, B6, and E. They also contain a ton of potassium – even more than bananas! They’re also rich with monounsaturated fatty acid, making them a source of heart healthy fat.
- Cherry and grape tomatoes are incredibly similar, so you’ll be getting the same benefits with whatever option you choose! All tomatoes are packed with vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants.
Next time you’re looking for a meatless Monday dinner, don’t settle for something that’ll just leave you wanting more. Instead, enjoy these filling, delicious caprese stuffed air fryer avocados!
Hungry for more? Here are some of our favorite veggie-inclusive recipes!
Air Fryer Fried Avocados
- 2 **avocados peeled, seeded and halved
- 3/4 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado oil spray (or olive oil spray) *optional
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz baby mozzarella balls
- 10-12 large leaves fresh basil, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- balsamic glaze, to taste
1. Slice avocado in half and remove skin and seed from avocado.
2. Place breadcrumbs on a plate and press avocado halves into bread crumbs till well coated on all sides.
3. Optional: Can mist lightly with pure avocado oil spray, if desired. Place breaded avocados in air fryer basket and cook at 375°F for 7 minutes.
4. While avocados are frying, in a medium sized bowl, toss to combine tomatoes, mozzarella balls, basil, salt and pepper.
5. Transfer hot avocados quickly to a plate and fill with Caprese filling. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired. Serve immediately!
**Look for an avocado that has black skin, but is still firm. When you press on it, you should feel a slight give, but it should not be soft or mushy. Read more in the post above for how to pick the perfect avocado for air frying.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 763Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 966mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 16gSugar: 15gProtein: 22g