Crockpot pepper steak is better than takeout with tender bites of beef, onions, and peppers, slow cooked in a savory sauce. This dump-and-go style crockpot recipe is super easy to make with just 10 minutes of work!
Why You’ll Love This Crockpot Pepper Steak Recipe
Looking for a hearty and satisfying meal that’s simple to make and full of flavor? Look no further than this quick and easy crockpot pot pepper steak recipe! Here’s why you’ll love it:
- So Easy: This recipe is made completely in the crockpot with just 10 minutes of effort. Just dump the ingredients into the slow cooker and let it do all the work!
- Flavorful: Pepper steak is loaded with Asian-inspired flavors. The tender beef, onions and peppers slowly cook in a rich and savory sauce that will excite every taste bud.
- Tender and Juicy: Slow cooking the beef in the rich sauce creates perfectly fork-tender beef that is oh so juicy. Served with the flavorful sauce over rice, it’s a hearty dinner you will make over and over again.
What You’ll Need For Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
Most of the ingredients for this crockpot pepper steak are pantry staples that you hopefully already have on hand. Scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Beef Strips: We love how sliced sirloin cooks in the slow cooker, but you can also use another cut of beef like flank steak or chuck roast.
- Onion: Sweet yellow onion adds great flavor, but you can use white onion or shallots.
- Peppers: We love using sweet yellow, orange and red bell peppers for great color. You can use green bell peppers as well, just know they have a much stronger flavor.
- Beef Broth: You can also use bone broth for even more depth of flavor.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic, not the jarred stuff.
- Soy Sauce: We like using low sodium soy sauce to control how salty the dish is at the end.
- Cornstarch: Adds thickness to the sauce.
- Ginger: Fresh ginger will give this dish a bigger punch, but ground ginger works too.
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional Toppings: We love sliced green onions and sesame seeds on top!
How to Make Pepper Steak With Onions
This is one of those amazing dump and go style crockpot recipes. For full detailed directions see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Sauce: Whisk together the stock, soy sauce, cornstarch, garlic, ginger, and black pepper in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Crockpot: Add the sliced beef, onion, and bell peppers to the crockpot. Pour the sauce over top, and give everything a quick stir.
- Cook: Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours, until meat is tender.
- Stir: Once the beef is nice and tender, stir everything together in the crockpot. Note that the sauce will thicken a little once stirred.
- Serve: Serve hot over rice with chopped green onions and sesame seeds on top. Enjoy!
Tips for Best Results
Some helpful tips to ensure your slow cooker pepper steak turns out perfect!
- Should I Sear The Meat? You definitely can, but it’s an unnecessary step. If you have the time and want to give it a try, a quick sear in a hot skillet will slightly deepen the beef flavor.
- Cut into Strips: This is one of those recipes where you want bigger, chunky veggies. If you cut peppers too thin, they’ll cook down in the slow cooker and virtually disappear. Instead, cut the bell peppers and onions into nice thick strips for maximum texture and flavor.
- Sauce Not Thick: If your sauce looks a little thin at the end, you can thicken it up easily with more cornstarch. Whisk to combine a tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water. Add it to the crockpot and give everything a good stir. Let cook 5 to 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Time Saver: To help speed up our prep time, we bought already sliced sirloin for stir fry. It didn’t cost any extra and saved time with both prep and clean up!
What to Serve With Crock Pot Pepper Steak
When it comes to ‘better than takeout’ Chinese food recipes, we always think rice is an easy choice. Plain white rice or brown rice will be great with pepper steak because it soaks up all that delicious sauce. If you’d like something with a little more personality, give our coconut rice or cilantro lime rice a try. You can also go with cauliflower rice for a low carb option!
Can I Store and Reheat Leftovers?
This easy pepper steak with onions stores great for another dinner later in the week! Here are your storage options:
- Fridge: Store leftover pepper steak in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: Pepper steak reheats well in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring often, until heated through.
- Freezer: Place cooled leftovers in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. For best results, thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
More Tasty Steak Recipes
- Salisbury Steak
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Air Fryer London Broil
- Smothered Cube Steak
- How to Cook Skirt Steak
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
Crockpot Pepper Steak
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs sirloin, sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into large strips
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and sliced into large strips
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger, or 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
Optional for Serving:
- Sliced green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Using a small bowl, whisk to combine the beef broth, garlic, soy sauce, cornstarch, black pepper and ginger. Pour the sauce over the meat in the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high 3 to 4 hours, until meat is cooked through and tender.
- Serve hot over rice with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.