This fluffy and creamy coconut rice has the perfect hint of coconut flavor and is ready in 20 minutes with just 4 simple ingredients. It’s a super easy and delicious way to take your rice to the next level!
Why You’ll Love This Coconut Rice Recipe
Whether served as a side dish or as part of another recipe, this coconut milk rice is always a hit. The combination of the fluffy rice and slightly sweet coconut flavor is perfection. Here’s why we know you’ll be a big fan of this recipe too:
- Quick and Easy: This recipe really couldn’t be easier. It only uses a handful of simple ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen already. The entire recipe only takes 20 minutes from start to finish, and only uses one pot. It’s a tremendous weeknight side dish!
- Flavorful: This coconut jasmine rice is anything but bland! Coconut milk adds just the right amount of fresh coconut flavor, while the optional cilantro on top adds a bright, refreshing, and herby flavor. Each bite is somehow better than the last.
- Goes with Anything: Rice is a really versatile ingredient, and coconut rice is no exception. This recipe goes well with Asian food, most Mexican dishes, and almost any meat entree. You can even use the leftovers to make fried rice, rice pudding, or lettuce wraps. The options are endless!
You only need a few ingredients to make this fragrant and fresh coconut rice. Check out the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Jasmine Rice: You can try this recipe with other varieties of white rice, but it’s best with jasmine.
- Coconut Milk: Canned coconut milk, the kind with the coconut cream on top.
- Cilantro: This is an optional garnish, but it adds a lot of flavor and freshness to the rice.
How to Make Coconut Rice
This simple rice recipe is light and fluffy, and the coconut flavor offers just a little bit of sweetness. And best of all? It only takes 20 minutes to make! Scroll to the bottom of this post to see the full detailed instructions in the recipe card.
- Boil: Bring the water, coconut milk, and salt to a boil in a pot. Add the rice to the boiling liquid and stir.
- Cook: Cook the rice on low for 12 minutes while stirring regularly, then let it rest off the heat for 5 minutes.
- Fluff: Remove the lid from the pot and fluff the rice with a fork or a rice paddle. Serve immediately with optional cilantro on top.
Tips and Tricks
This is a fool-proof recipe that will leave you with creamy and herby coconut rice every time. But here are a few tips to make sure you’re successful:
- Thoroughly rinse the rice. It’s really important to thoroughly rinse your jasmine rice before cooking it. The purpose of rinsing the rice isn’t to clean it, but instead to wash off the starch. When you start to wash the rice, the water will be stained white from all the starch. Keep rinsing the rice until the water becomes clear. If you do not rinse your rice, it will be mushy and have an almost glue like consistency.
- Use a rice cooker. If you have a rice cooker, you can use it to make this recipe. All you have to do is add the ingredients to the rice cooker, then use the rice cooker the way you normally would.
- Don’t mush the rice. After the rice has rested with a lid on for 5 minutes, you’ll have to fluff it with a fork or a rice paddle. When you do this, it’s important to not mush the rice at all. If you mush the rice, it will become dense and heavy. Instead, fluff the rice carefully, so it is light and airy!
What to Serve With Coconut Jasmine Rice
The bright coconut flavor in this rice goes well with a lot of different toppings. It’s perfect with fresh cilantro, but you can also add toasted coconut flakes, sesame seeds, or chopped mango on top.
We also love to serve this rice along side Air Fryer Orange Chicken, served on the side or stuffed inside these Chicken Lettuce Wraps, or as the base for these Korean Rice Bowls with Mango Slaw. It’s also delicious with different seafoods like this Blackened Mahi Mahi, Bang Bang Shrimp, Coconut Shrimp, or Shrimp Tacos.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover coconut rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat the rice, add a splash of water or coconut milk, then heat over medium-low heat on the stove while stirring constantly. You can also reheat the rice in the microwave at 80% power in 20-second increments.
Can You Freeze This Recipe?
This is a great recipe to freeze. Make sure that the rice is fully cooled before placing it in an airtight container, then store it in the freezer for 6 up to months. For best results, thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
More Easy Rice Recipes
Rice is such a great food to have around, since it’s versatile, filling, and tasty. Here are a few more easy rice dishes to try.
- Parmesan Garlic Rice
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Spanish Chicken and Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- 1 ½ cups jasmine rice
- 1 (13.6 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cilantro, optional garnish
- Add rice to a colander and rinse several times to remove the starch. This is an important step! If you do not rinse the starch off the rice, it will be very mushy once cooked.
- In a medium size pot, add the coconut milk, water and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and stir. Reduce the heat to low, stirring often, and cook for 12 minutes.
- Turn off the burner, stir and place a tight fitting lid on the pot. Let the rice sit on the stove with the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh cilantro or a little toasted coconut on top, if desired.