Loaded with flavor from the garlic, onion, and cajun seasoning, this sautéed zucchini and squash is the perfect healthy and easy side dish. Bonus: You only need one pot and 20 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Sautéed Zucchini and Squash Recipe
This is a healthy, but extremely flavor packed side dish that you can make all the time, but is especially good in the summer when squash is plentiful! Here’s why you’ll love this recipe.
- Flavor: The green zucchini and yellow summer squash look beautiful, vibrant, and fresh. Even better than that? They are jam-packed with flavor from the savory onions, fragrant garlic and cajun seasoning. This healthy side dish is anything but bland!
- Fast and Easy: This recipe only takes 20 minutes and is so easy to follow. You can easily throw this dish together before dinner, and your kitchen won’t be a mess when you’re done. You can even slice and prep the squash and onion ahead to save time on busy week nights.
- Healthy. This is one of our go-to recipes for when we need a healthy vegetable side dish on the table with minimal effort on our part. There’s nothing about this recipe that’s unhealthy. Your body and your tastebuds will thank you after making this sautéed zucchini and squash.
- Versatile. The summer squash recipe goes with everything. It’s great with almost any cuisine and is the ultimate side dish whether you’re making BBQ or an upscale dinner.
You only need 8 ingredients to make this dish and most are kitchen staples! Head to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Olive Oil: Avocado oil is a good swap.
- Onion: A yellow onion is best for this recipe, but a white onion or shallot will work too.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic will give you the most amount of flavor. Pre-minced garlic, or garlic in oil, will provide a muted garlic flavor.
- Zucchini: You can also use patty pan squash.
- Yellow Squash
- Cajun Seasoning: We love our Homemade Cajun Seasoning, but if you don’t have time, Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning is our favorite store bought version.
- Salt & Pepper: Always use freshly cracked pepper for the most flavor.
How to Make Sautéed Zucchini and Squash
Not only is this one of the best zucchini and yellow squash recipes you’ll find, but it only takes 20 minutes to make. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the article for full detailed instructions.
- Cook the aromatics. Sauté the onion in oil until softened, then add the garlic.
- Add the veggies. Place the zucchini and squash in the skillet, and stir to combine. Loosely cover and let cook for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. The squash and zucchini should be tender.
- Finish. Add the cajun seasoning, then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve while still hot.
Tricks and Variations
These tips and variations will help you make the best sautéed zucchini and squash imaginable.
- Use Homemade Seasoning: One of the best kitchen hacks is to make your own spice blends. Homemade spice rubs are so much more flavorful than the ones you buy at the store, and they’re cheaper too. We recommend using Homemade Cajun Seasoning when making this veggie dish.
- Don’t Peel: A lot of people think you need to peel squash, but you don’t. There’s no need to peel these veggies, as the skin will get nice and tender as they cook. You can save a lot of time by leaving the peeler in the drawer.
- Make Consistent Cuts: Whenever you’re cooking vegetables, it’s important to cut them all to a similar size. That way the veggies will all cook at the same rate, and you won’t have some that are overcooked and some that are undercooked. Cut the squash and zucchini for this recipe into rounds that are between ⅛ and ¼-inch thick.
- Add Bacon: Everything’s better with bacon, and this sautéed zucchini and squash recipe is no exception. To give this side dish an extra burst of flavor, sprinkle crispy bacon bits over the top when you serve it.
- Add Cheese: Adding a little freshly grated parmesan cheese over the top is a great way to add a little cheesy flavor!
What to Serve With Sautéed Squash and Zucchini
You can serve these garlicky cajun veggies alongside any entree, but we love pairing this dish along side something meaty like these easy Air Fryer Steak Bites, Baked Pork Chops, Air Fryer Mahi Mahi or this comforting Skillet Chicken and Gravy! If you need a couple more sides to pair with this squash, try this crowd pleasing Twice Baked Potato Casserole, a batch of Parmesan Garlic Rice, or these Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover squash and zucchini will last for 3 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. You’ll probably notice that the veggies leak some water when they sit in the fridge, so make sure to drain that off before reheating. We recommend reheating sautéed zucchini and squash on the stove over medium heat, or in a microwave on 70% power in 20-second increments.
Can You Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, you can, but know they will not be the same texture once thawed. Once you freeze and thaw an already soft sautéed vegetable like zucchini or squash, they will become very mushy.
However, if you don’t mind the texture changing, here is how to freeze the leftovers. Make sure the vegetables are fully cooled and then transfer them to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 months. For best results, be sure to defrost or thaw completely in the fridge for 24 hours before reheating.
More Easy Vegetable Recipes
Here are a few more of our favorite vegetable side dishes:
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad With Bacon
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad
- Roasted Green Beans
- Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Sautéed Zucchini and Squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 2 medium to large zucchini, cut into ¼-thick rounds
- 2 medium to large yellow squash, cut into ¼-thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the zucchini and the squash, and stir until well mixed. Loosely cover the skillet with a lid and cook for about 12 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Season the zucchini and squash with the cajun seasoning, and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.