Stewed Okra and Tomatoes is a classic Southern side dish that takes only 30 minutes to make! Plus, you only need a few simple ingredients including our Homemade Cajun Seasoning.
Quick and Easy Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
This easy vegetable side dish holds a very special place in our hearts because we have fond memories of making it as a family growing up in Louisiana. And now we get to share this wholesome classic Southern side dish with you! It’s always a joy bringing these flavors into your home whether you’re in the south or not.
Okra is a fun and unique ingredient to cook with. We love our Grilled Okra and this recipe is a little different. The okra is stewed slowly with tomatoes instead of being grilled quickly. The longer you cook okra, the more developed and savory the flavor becomes. So when stewed okras are paired with sweet and tangy tomatoes, the contrast in flavors is amazing!
We also have to add a little cajun spice to this recipe and what better way to spice up this Southern side dish than with our Homemade Cajun Seasoning? This spice blend is a staple ingredient in our kitchen and it soon will be in yours, too.
Why You’ll Love This Classic Southern Side Dish
Here are some of the reasons why you’re going to want to make this recipe over and over again.
- Strong and developed flavors in less than 30 minutes. The okra and tomatoes will taste like they’ve been cooking all day, but it takes just a half hour to develop the delicious flavor.
- You only need a few ingredients. Okra, tomatoes, garlic, onions, and seasoning and that’s it!
- One pot side dish. This side dish is a breeze and it’s even easier to clean up.
- Vegan, Gluten Free & Low Carb: No matter who is coming for dinner, everyone should be able to enjoy this dish!
- It’s something different! It’s fun to mix up our side dish options and serve up this Louisiana classic.
What You’ll Need
The list of ingredients for Stewed Tomatoes and Okra is below.
- Cooking Oil: We like to use olive oil.
- Onion & Garlic: This is the base of this recipe and you’ll get the best flavor if you use fresh garlic and onions (not dried).
- Okra: Look for okra that is not too big. A lot of times long okra can be stringy and tough. If your climate allows, you can also grow your own okra! It’s relatively easy and makes a beautiful flower that looks like a hibiscus flower.
- Stewed Tomatoes: If you enjoy lots of tomatoes, you can double up on the tomatoes in this recipe. We like to use regular stewed tomatoes without added seasonings.
- Cajun Seasoning: Make your own or buy your favorite blend at the supermarket. If using store bought, we love Slap Ya Mama the best.
How to Make Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Here’s how I make this Southern side dish just as I learned as a child in Louisiana! It’s quick, easy, and so delicious.
First, saute the onions and garlic. Cook them long enough so that they are soft and translucent. And then add the okra and tomatoes.
Then, stir and add the Cajun Seasoning. Let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Lastly, check for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if you’d like just before serving.
How Do You Make Okra Not Slimy?
One of the interesting things about okra is that it gets a bit slimy when you cook it. The best way to cut the sliminess in this dish is the addition of tomatoes. The acidity of the tomatoes cuts the sliminess so that the texture is more pleasant.
Tips and Variation Ideas
Follow these helpful tips and different ideas for when you need to mix up the ingredients.
- Eat the entire okra. No waste here because you can eat the part of the okra that was connected to the stem if you would like.
- Make enough for a crowd. This recipe is for 4 servings. You can easily double this recipe if feeding a crowd.
- Add some heat: Add more Cajun Seasoning at the end if you want it to be spicy. Or you can add a few dashes of hot sauce.
- Add other vegetables: Diced celery is another ingredient that you might find stewed with okra and tomatoes.
- Bacon can be added, too! You can also add bacon at the beginning for more flavor and extra saltiness.
What to Serve with Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Some of our favorite ways to enjoy this side dish are below.
- Other Side Dishes: Some other great side dishes to go with okra and tomatoes are rice, Homemade Cornbread, and Skillet Fried Corn.
- Classic Cajun Dishes: Check out some of our other favorite Cajun recipes like Sheet Pan Cajun Garlic Butter Shrimp, Crawfish Boil, and Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
- Other Seafood Recipes: The rich okra and tomatoes pair really well with light entrees that have seafood like our Easy Shrimp Boil and Grilled Shrimp.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover Stewed Okra and Tomatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat leftovers on the stovetop in a small pan or the microwave.
Can I Freeze This?
You can freeze okra and tomatoes, but when they thaw they will be a bit mushier and have more liquid. So we recommend making this dish fresh when possible. You’ll appreciate the soft texture and bold flavors and remember, it only takes about a half hour to make.
Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
- Using a medium to large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion. Sauté for 3 minutes then add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more.
- Add the okra and stewed tomatoes. Stir and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the okra is tender. You can half over the skillet with a lid to speed up the cooking, just be careful to stir a little more often.
- Once cooked give the okra a taste test to see if you want to add more cajun seasoning or salt and pepper. (I did not add salt because the cajun seasoning has a lot already.) Serve immediately.