Crockpot tortellini soup is hearty, comforting and oh-so-easy to prepare. Flavorful Italian sausage, cheesy tortellini, and fresh spinach are slow cooked in a rich, creamy tomato broth. Perfect for cozy nights, this sausage tortellini soup will be an instant family favorite!
Why You’ll Love This Crockpot Tortellini Soup Recipe
Are you looking for a cozy comfort food that is easy to make and full of flavor? Then you will love this crockpot tortellini soup! It’s a hearty and delicious soup that’s perfect for any occasion. Here are some reasons why you will love it:
- Creamy and Cheesy: This soup has a rich and creamy texture that is balanced by the tangy tomatoes and the cheesy tortellini. You’ll love the melt-in-your-mouth sensation of every bite.
- So Easy: Sausage tortellini soup is made in a crockpot, which means you can just dump the ingredients and let it cook. No need to babysit the stove or wash multiple pots and pans. You can also make it ahead and reheat it when you are ready to serve.
- Customizable: This tortellini soup recipe can be easily adapted to your preferences. You can use different types of sausage, cheese, or pasta. You can also add more veggies, herbs, or spices to suit your taste buds. Get creative!
- Family-Friendly: Creamy tortellini soup is a great way to feed a hungry family or a large group of friends. It’s filling, satisfying, and budget-friendly. Everyone will love this soup and ask for more!
What You’ll Need
To make this crock pot tortellini soup, you’ll need a few simple ingredients. Scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Ground Italian Sausage: Pick up a mild, hot, or sweet version based on your preference. You can also use ground beef, if you prefer.
- Tortellini: You can find fresh cheese tortellini in any grocery store, you can also use frozen tortellini!
- Veggies: Onion, garlic, and fresh spinach.
- Seasoning: Italian Seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Don’t drain! We want all that flavorful juice!
- Chicken Broth: You can also use chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Heavy Cream: You can sub in half and half if you’d like it a little lighter.
- Parmesan Cheese: Optional, but a tasty garnish!
How to Make Crockpot Tortellini Soup With Sausage
Making sausage tortellini soup is super easy and hassle-free thanks to the wonders of the slow cooker. You just need to follow these simple steps. Scroll to the recipe card at bottom of the post for full detailed instructions.
- Sauté: Cook the sausage, onion, and garlic in a skillet until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Slow Cook: Add the cooked sausage mixture, crushed tomatoes, broth, and seasonings into a 7-quart crockpot. Give everything a good stir. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add Tortellini: 30 minutes before serving, add the tortellini and heavy cream and stir well. Place the lid back on and turn the heat up to high.
- Serve: When ready to serve, stir in the fresh spinach. Season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with a little grated parmesan cheese on top!
Tips and Variations
Here are some tips and tricks to make sure your sausage spinach tortellini soup turns out perfect:
- Greens: Spinach wilts really fast, so we add it just before serving. If you want a heartier green, kale is a great substitution, but you will need to add it from the beginning.
- Sausage: Use your favorite Italian sausage and choose between mild, hot, or sweet.
- Adjust the Spiciness: Make your soup more or less spicy by using mild or hot sausage. You can also double or triple the amount of red pepper flakes!
- Vegetarian: To keep the soup vegetarian, skip the sausage and use vegetable broth. Add the diced onion and minced garlic straight into the crockpot.
- Parmesan Rind: If you have a parmesan rind, you can add it to the crockpot when you add the crushed tomatoes for extra flavor! Remove and discard the rind before serving.
- Tortellini: Try different tortellini fillings if you’d like to change things up. Experiment with spinach, mushroom, or meat-filled pasta.
What to Serve With Crockpot Sausage Tortellini Soup
Sausage tortellini soup is a warm and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed on its own or with some delicious side dishes. Here are a few ideas:
- Bread: We always want some crusty garlic bread, soft rolls or even beer bread to help soak up every last bite of soup.
- Salad: Soup and salad is a pretty great pairing. A nice side or caesar salad would be brilliant. We also love the freshness of this arugula salad alongside the creaminess.
- Sandwich: This soup is just begging for an air fryer grilled cheese to dunk in it’s rich and creamy tomato broth!
Can I Store and Reheat Leftover Sausage Tortellini Soup?
This soup is best served fresh as the tortellini will soak up the extra broth while being stored. However you have options if you plan ahead!
- Fridge: If you are making this and want leftovers for another night, instead of adding a 20 oz bag of tortellini, add only half. Enjoy your soup with those tortellini, then store the soup without any pasta in it. When ready to serve, quickly boil the remaining tortellini according to package directions, drain and add to your warmed leftover soup! Store soup in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: We prefer reheating this soup on the stovetop over the microwave, but both ways work. When ready to serve, quickly boil the remaining tortellini according to package directions, drain and add to your warmed leftover soup!
- Freeze: You can make a batch of this soup without the tortellini and freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw soup overnight in the fridge and reheat as directed above.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Crockpot Tortellini Soup
- 16 oz ground Italian sausage, mild, hot or sweet
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, do not drain
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream, or half and half
- 20 oz cheese tortellini, fresh or frozen
- 6 oz fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, optional garnish
- In a medium size skillet, cook the sausage, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat until the sausage is no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks.
- Add sausage mixture to a 7-quart crockpot. If the sausage has a lot of grease use a slotted spoon to scoop up the sausage and place it in crockpot.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper, stirring to combine.
- Place the lid on crockpot and cook on low 4 to 6 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before you are ready to serve, add the tortellini and heavy cream. Stir well, cover with lid and turn crockpot to high. Stir occasionally.
- When you are ready to serve, stir in the fresh spinach and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately, topped with grated parmesan cheese.