Fresh and tasty Poppy Seed Salad Dressing is our go-to dressing for flavorful salads! Olive oil and apple cider vinegar blended with a little sugar and ground mustard bring greens and vegetables to life.
Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
The taste of a homemade salad dressing is so much fresher and brighter than that of a store-bought dressing. Where is the proof, you ask? It’s here in this Poppy Seed Dressing recipe! You’ll be craving fresh green salads every day with a jar of this dressing sitting in the fridge.
It’s got tangy apple cider vinegar, smooth olive oil, ground mustard, a hint of sugar, and, of course, crunchy poppy seeds! This light, easy salad dressing is full of sweet, tangy flavor that you can serve over fruit salads, chicken salads, regular green salads, and more.
Once you see how quickly it all comes together, you’ll never go back to only buying store-bought dressing. Not when you can make your own in 10 minutes!
What Makes This Poppy Seed Salad Dressing So Good?
We just can’t get enough of this easy salad dressing. Here’s why we think you’ll love it too:
- Bold and Bright Flavors: Made with onion powder, ground mustard, apple cider vinegar, a little sugar and more, this salad dressing is sweet, savory, and tangy all at once. It will brighten up and enhance the flavors in any salad that you can think of.
- Quick and Easy: You only need 10 minutes to whisk this dressing together, if that. Plus, there are no dishes to clean! Just add the ingredients to a jar, shake it, and put it in the fridge. Easy peasy!
- Flexible: The ingredient amounts in this recipe can easily be adjusted to fit your preferences – be sure to taste test as you go!
There are just a few basic ingredients that go into making this simple salad dressing. If you’re looking for the exact measurement for each ingredient, though, scroll on down to the recipe card below. For now, here are a few other details:
- Olive Oil: We like the rich flavor that olive oil brings to this dressing, but you could also use avocado oil, or even vegetable oil, in a pinch.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: If you do not have apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar or white wine vinegar as well.
- Granulated Sugar: Raw sugar will also work, or you could use honey or maple syrup as natural sugars.
- Ground Mustard: If you do not have ground mustard, try using Dijon mustard. 1 teaspoon should be enough, but you can always taste and add more.
- Seasoning: We like to use onion powder for extra savory flavor, though you could use garlic powder instead. We also throw in a little salt and pepper.
- Poppy Seeds: These add a little sweetness and texture to your salad!
How to Make Poppy Seed Salad Dressing
Making a salad dressing with poppy seeds is so easy. All you really have to do is put the ingredients in a jar and shake!
- Add the Ingredients in a Jar: Add olive oil, vinegar, sugar, ground mustard, onion powder, and poppy seeds to a mason jar (or a jar that seals tightly with a lid).
- Shake to Combine: Tightly secure the lid to the jar and shake until the ingredients are well-combined.
- Taste and Adjust: Remove the lid. Taste and season the salad dressing with salt and pepper, to your liking.
- Enjoy: Serve over strawberry spinach salad or as desired.
Tips & Recipe Variations
The process for making this poppy seed salad dressing is very straightforward, but there are a lot of ways you can change it up. Here are a few thoughts on that matter:
- Can I Leave Out the Sugar? You can add more or less sugar OR no sugar at all! We would rather skip the sugar, usually, but it does add a little sweet flavor to help balance out the apple cider vinegar and ground mustard.
- Don’t Omit the Ground Mustard: The ground mustard gives just a little tangy, earthy flavor to the dressing. You wouldn’t know it was in there by taste, but it helps to round out the flavor of this dressing.
- For a Creamier Dressing: Add a little greek yogurt or sour cream if you want a creamier dressing.
Not sure how to use your poppy seed dressing? There are so many options! Here are just a couple that you might try:
- Marinade: Poppy seed dressing could easily be used as a marinade for chicken or another kind of meat.
- Salads: This homemade dressing is perfect over our Strawberry and Spinach Salad. It could also be drizzled over Berry Salads, grilled chicken salads, a simple green salad, and more. Whatever you like!
- Veggies: Serve this dressing as a dip with chopped carrots, cucumbers, or celery for a simple snack!
How to Store Poppy Seed Dressing
You can store this homemade salad dressing in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Make sure and keep the jar sealed tightly to keep the dressing fresh. Give it a good shake before using!
More Salad Dressing Recipes
If you’re looking for more easy salad dressing recipes to add to your recipe box, try these ones!
Poppy Seed Salad Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil, vinegar, sugar, ground mustard, onion powder and poppy seeds to a mason jar (or a jar that seals tightly with a lid).
- Use lid to cover the jar, making sure the lid is securely tightened, and shake until well combined.
- Remove the lid and taste and season the salad dressing with salt and pepper, to your liking.
- Serve over strawberry spinach salad or as desired.