Always the first to go at a party, these crockpot cheesy potatoes are a super easy side dish that everyone will love. Hearty, creamy, and loaded with gooey cheddar cheese, they are the perfect addition to any meal!
Why You’ll Love This Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
Here’s why this addictively creamy potato side dish is one of our go-to recipes:
- Easy: This recipe for crock pot cheesy potatoes is so easy that you could practically make it in your sleep. All you have to do is mix everything together in your slow cooker and turn it on!
- Flavor: These cheesy potatoes are so tender, rich, and creamy. They taste like the inside of a perfectly loaded baked potato filled with sour cream and melty cheese. Don’t forget the green onions!
- Mess-free: This entire recipe is made entirely in the crockpot, so you’ll barely have anything to clean when you’re done cooking.
- Party Perfect: These cheesy potatoes are made in the crockpot to save oven space, which also makes them the perfect side dish for a party or potluck. You can keep them warm for hours and they travel easily in your slow cooker!
What You’ll Need
You only need a handful of common ingredients to make this satisfying weeknight side dish recipe. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Frozen Diced Potatoes: You can use shredded hash brown potatoes instead, but we prefer the texture of the cubed potatoes.
- Cream of Potato Soup: Any type of condensed cream soup will work for this recipe, but cream of potato soup gives them the most ‘loaded baked potato’ flavor.
- Onion: We used a sweet, yellow onion, but a white onion will also work.
- Sour cream: Full-fat sour cream will make this recipe extra creamy.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: You can use pre-shredded or freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder has all the garlic flavor that you love, without the bitterness or spiciness.
- Onion Powder: Using onion powder and fresh onions will really increase the amount of onion flavor in the recipe.
- Salt & Pepper: Use freshly cracked black pepper for the most flavor.
- Green Onions: An optional ingredient, but they finish off the dish perfectly. You can use chives for a milder flavor.
How to Make Cheesy Potatoes In Crock Pot
After you see how easy it really is to make these slow cooker cheesy potatoes, you will find yourself making them again and again.
- Mix: Spray your crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Add all the ingredients, except the butter, green onions, and ½ cup of cheese, and stir to combine.
- Butter: Place the sliced butter on top.
- Cook: Turn the heat on high and cook for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Add Cheese: Add the remaining cheese, place the lid back on and cook until melted.
- Serve: Top with optional green onions and serve while hot. Enjoy!
Tips for Success
Here are some easy tricks to make sure your cheesy potatoes turn out perfect:
- Crockpot Liner: This is a mess-free recipe to make, but it’s even more mess-free if you use a crockpot liner. Then you won’t have anything to clean after making these potatoes!
- Keep Warm: This rich and comforting side dish is best served hot. So if you’re not eating it as soon as it’s done cooking, keep it hot in the crockpot by lowering the setting to warm. This is perfect when serving these cheddar potatoes at a party or potluck.
- Dry The Lid: The crockpot lid will have a lot of condensation from cooking the potatoes. Before putting the lid back on to melt the cheese, dry it with a paper towel. If you don’t dry it, the water will drip on top of the cheese as it melts.
There are a lot of different common variations that you can try. Here are some of our favorites:
- Add Meat: If you want to make this side dish into a main meal, add some protein! It’s great with sliced sausage, cubed ham, or we have even seen it served with sliced hot dogs.
- Bacon: Who doesn’t love bacon on top of their cheesy potatoes? To add a smoky flavor, crumble some freshly cooked bacon over the top before serving.
- Change The Soup: We make this recipe with cream of potato soup because it makes this dish taste like a cheesy, loaded baked potato. However many recipes use cream of mushroom soup, or you can try cream of chicken soup or cream of onion soup for different flavors.
- Add Peppers: Potatoes, onions, and peppers are commonly served together for a reason. You can add diced bell peppers to this recipe, or use a bag of frozen diced potatoes with onions and peppers.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
Here are a few of our favorite dishes to serve with cheesy crockpot potatoes:
- Beef: Go for a hearty dinner by pairing these creamy potatoes with our favorite easy meatloaf.
- Pork: If you are having a party, try our crockpot pulled pork. It pairs wonderfully with cheesy potatoes and is always a crowd favorite!
- Chicken: For an extra easy dinner, try our method for perfectly juicy grilled chicken breasts. If you don’t want to heat up the grill, this crispy ritz cracker chicken recipe is so tasty and quick!
How to Store Leftover Cheesy Crockpot Potatoes
These creamy cheddar potatoes are almost as good as leftovers as they are when you first make them!
- Fridge: Store leftovers in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 5 days.
- Reheat: Reheat in the microwave in 30-second increments, until warm throughout. The potatoes can also be reheated in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
- Freezer: Make sure the cheesy potatoes are completely cooled, then freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. For best results, fully thaw in the fridge before reheating.
More Easy Crockpot Recipes
- Crockpot Cabbage and Sausage
- Crockpot Baked Beans
- Crockpot Baked Potato Soup
- Crockpot Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- 1 (32 oz) bag frozen diced potatoes
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of potato soup
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced
- Green onions, sliced (optional topping)
- Add the potatoes, cream of potato soup, onion, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and 1 ½ cups of the cheddar cheese. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Place the slices of butter evenly on top of the potato mixture.
- Put the lid on the crockpot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- When the potatoes are done cooking, stir the mixture and then place the remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese on top. Put the lid back on until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Add the optional green onions, and serve while hot.