Crockpot sweet potatoes are our new favorite way to make sweet potatoes that are perfectly done and super easy to peel. This is a true set it and forget it recipe with zero prep work. It’s one of the easiest side dishes you’ll ever make!
Why You Should Try Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
There are many ways to cook sweet potatoes, but we think this method is the best for several reasons:
- Easy: You don’t have to do any prep work. Just rinse the sweet potatoes and place them in the crockpot. You can set it and forget it, and come back to delicious sweet potatoes that are ready to eat.
- Peel Perfectly: These are the easiest sweet potatoes to peel! Making them perfect for mashing and using in different recipes like sweet potato soufflé.
- Tender: Unlike boiled sweet potatoes, these are perfectly moist and tender. You will be surprised by just how juicy they are!
- Customizable: Once cooked, you can use these in dishes like sweet potato cornbread or add different toppings or fillings like brown sugar.
- Party Ready: Crock pot sweet potatoes are great if you are hosting a party! You will save oven space and have hot and ready to go sweet potatoes anytime.
Looking for more ways to cook sweet potatoes? Try these mashed sweet potatoes, 30-minute instant pot sweet potatoes, air fryer sweet potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes or classic baked sweeter potatoes!
What You’ll Need
This may be one of our most simple recipes since you only need a single ingredient – sweet potatoes! Scroll down to the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Sweet Potatoes: Your grocery store may have a few different types of sweet potato. After you’ve decided if you want a soft or firm variety (the traditional orange sweet potato is nice and firm), look for ones that have smooth skin and are free of soft spots, bruises, cracks, and signs of sprouting.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Crockpot
With a prep time of just 2 minutes, there are few slow cooker recipes that are easier to put together! Here’s how to cook perfectly tender sweet potatoes. Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed directions.
- Rinse: Give your sweet potatoes a good rinse to remove any dirt.
- Cook: Place the sweet potatoes in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. They are done when a fork can easily pierce them.
- Serve: Serve warm with your favorite toppings and enjoy! If you enjoy marshmallows, try this twice baked sweet potatoes recipe with your cooked sweet potatoes.
Tips for Success
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you get those sweet potatoes ready to cook.
- Size: To make sure your sweet potatoes cook evenly, choose potatoes that are similar in size.
- Cook Time: The amount of time it takes will depending on the size of sweet potatoes you use. The bigger the sweet potatoes, the longer they’ll take to cook. Smaller potatoes may be ready faster than 3 hours on high. Test them with a fork if you’re not sure.
- No Need to Pierce: When you cook sweet potatoes in the microwave or oven, you’re usually told to pierce the skin to let the steam escape. There’s no need to do that in the crockpot.
What to Serve With Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potato recipes are so versatile, they really go with anything! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Protein: We suggest serving them with our ranch Ritz cracker chicken, air fryer mahi mahi, or easy baked pork chops.
- Stuffed: We love making Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes by stuffing them with crockpot Mexican chicken, guacamole, and a little pico de gallo on top. You can also stuff them with pulled pork!
- Use as an Ingredient: This sweet potato recipe is perfect for meal prep. You can use the potatoes in any recipe that calls for them, like this easy sweet potato casserole with marshmallows!
Can I Store and Reheat Leftovers?
Cooked sweet potatoes store and reheat really easily, which makes them great for meal prep. Here’s how to store and reheat:
- Refrigerate: Place cooled potatoes in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Reheat: If you have an air fryer, you can reheat potatoes in just 5 minutes at 375ºF. Or use the microwave and cook for 1 minute, until heated through.
- Freeze: You can freeze cooked sweet potatoes in a plastic freezer-friendly bag for up to 3 months. We suggest thawing them in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
More Easy Sweet Potato Recipes
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Candied Sweet Potatoes With Pecans
- 10 Essential Sweet Potato Recipes
- Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- Rinse sweet potatoes and place in the crockpot. Do not dry them.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high 3 to 4 hours, until potatoes are cooked through and fork tender.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.