This easy crockpot sweet potato casserole recipe is the perfect side dish for any fall dinner. Tender sweet potatoes are caramelized in a cinnamon and brown sugar sauce and then topped with gooey marshmallows right before serving!
Why You’ll Love This Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
If you’re looking for a new easy casserole to serve, look no further than this slow cooker sweet potato casserole. Here’s why we know you’ll love it:
- Easy: This sweet potato casserole is made entirely in the crockpot, so it’s incredibly easy to cook. All you have to do is add the ingredients, let it sit for a few hours, and then top with marshmallows before serving. What could be easier than that?
- Flavor: With fresh sweet potatoes that are slow cooked in a sauce mad with warm spices, rich maple syrup and brown sugar, each bite is full of autumn flavors. Add on the melty marshmallows and this casserole is the ultimate Thanksgiving side dish.
- Travels Well: This casserole is a great side dish to bring to a potluck, party or gathering. It goes well with almost any food, is easy to keep warm, and is a hit with everyone!
What You’ll Need
You only need a few simple and affordable ingredients to make this addictive sweet potato casserole. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Sweet Potatoes: You’ll need to peel and dice the sweet potatoes into evenly sized cubes.
- Butter: We used melted unsalted butter, if you use salted butter, skip the the added salt.
- Brown Sugar: You can use light or dark brown sugar.
- Maple Syrup: Always use pure maple syrup with no artificial flavors. You can also use honey.
- Vanilla Extract
- Spices: We used a combination of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
- Mini Marshmallows: If you prefer regular-size marshmallows, you can use them instead. You can also cut regular-size marshmallows into small pieces.
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole in Crockpot
With tender sweet potatoes, hearty seasonings, and rich maple syrup, this casserole is bursting with flavor. Thankfully it’s also super easy to make, if you can stir and turn on a crockpot, you can make this dish!
- Add the sweet potatoes. Grease the crockpot then add the sweet potatoes to it.
- Season. Mix all the seasonings together in a bowl until smooth, then pour over the sweet potatoes.
- Cook. Put a lid on the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add the marshmallows. Shortly before serving, add the marshmallows and cook until melted.
- Serve. Serve slow cooker sweet potato casserole while hot.
Variations and Tips for Success
This spiced sweet potato casserole is an easy and fool-proof recipe, but here are a few tips and tricks:
- Wipe The Lid: When you add marshmallows to the casserole, make sure to thoroughly wipe the condensation off the crockpot lid. If the lid is still wet, it will drip and make the marshmallows soupy.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice. If you want to save time or add a little bit of extra flavor, you can replace the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger with 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
- Serve At A Potluck: This is a great recipe to bring to a party or potluck. The key is to cook the casserole at home, but don’t add the marshmallows. Transport the casserole in the crockpot, and turn it on once you get to the potluck. Once hot, add the marshmallows and finish the recipe as directed.
- Pecan Topping: You can add some toasted chopped pecans or walnuts on top when you add the marshmallows for an added crunch.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
Here are a few comforting recipes that work perfectly with a side of crockpot sweet potato casserole:
- Chicken: If you are looking for an easy mini thanksgiving dinner, try this casserole with our stuffing stuffed chicken breasts!
- Ham: Of course this pairs perfectly with a spiral ham baked in our dijon brown sugar ham glaze!
- Turkey: If you have a second crockpot, you can have this crockpot turkey breast cooking right alongside your casserole.
- Pork: Our juicy pan fired pork chops make a perfect southern dinner when paired with these sweet potatoes.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Here’s how to store any leftover crock pot sweet potato casserole that you might have.
- Refrigerate: Leftover casserole will last in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure to store the casserole in an airtight container.
- Reheating: To reheat, cover the casserole in aluminum foil and place in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through. You can also reheat in the microwave on 80% power in 30-second increments.
- Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing sweet potato casserole. Freezing and thawing this recipe will give it a funny texture.
More Easy Side Dish Ideas
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Crockpot Baked Beans
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- 10 Essential Sweet Potato Recipes
- Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Place all of the diced sweet potatoes in the bottom of the crockpot.
- In a small bowl, add the melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Whisk until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes, and stir to combine.
- Cook the casserole on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- 10 minutes before serving, remove the lid and cover the casserole in marshmallows. Wipe the lid dry, then put it back on. Keep cooking for 5 to 10 minutes, until the marshmallows are melted. Serve immediately.