If you are looking for a flavor packed, healthy and easy weeknight dinner, look no further than this delicious Pesto Chicken Caprese! Fresh ingredients like cherry tomatoes, juicy chicken, garlicky pesto and cheese come together to create an unbelievably tasty and easy chicken dinner in just 30 minutes!
Pesto Chicken Caprese
It’s crazy to think that summer is almost dwindling to an end. While there are still a few weeks of sunshine and no school before we roll into the fall, this year seems to just be hurling by! So, enjoy these last few weeks of sunny days with some bright and summery dishes like this grilled pesto chicken caprese before it’s all about the warm soups and hearty casseroles!
Lord knows we love a perfectly Grilled Chicken Breast, but a grilled pesto chicken caprese breast is even better! But don’t fret, we also gave directions for you to cook the chicken breasts on the stovetop if you aren’t up for grilling your chicken breast.
Once you have cooked your chicken breast, you top it with some garlicky pesto, mozzarella cheese, hot blistered tomatoes and a little parmesan cheese on top. All those flavors atop a juicy chicken breast is the perfect healthy dinner that you won’t be able to stop eating!
Enjoying all of the bright, fresh flavors with perfectly grilled chicken is certainly a tasteful way to wrap up the last few weeks of summertime. Plus, the good news? This recipe only takes 30 minutes to make so you don’t have to waste your whole night cooking dinner.
- Grilled Chicken Breasts – They can also be made in the oven or on the stovetop, if preferred.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Grape tomatoes will also work.
- Olive Oil – Extra virgin olive oil is preferred for the best flavor.
- Salt and Pepper
- Mozzarella Cheese – you can use already shredded mozzarella or slices of fresh mozzarella.
- Pesto Sauce – Homemade or store-bought will both work well.
- Parmesan Cheese – We like to shave the parmesan right off the block! However, store-bought shredded is also delicious.
How to Make Pesto Chicken Caprese
Cook the chicken. Follow directions for grilled chicken breasts, or cook chicken breasts on stove top or oven, as desired. (Instructions for roasting your chicken breasts are included in the recipe card below!)
Prepare. When the chicken is almost done cooking, turn your broiler on high. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray (or line with parchment paper/foil) and set aside.
Toss. In a medium bowl, add sliced cherry tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss until well combined.
Roast. Pour tomatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and place under broiler for 2-4 minutes or until tomatoes start to blister and roast.
Broil. Remove the tray from the oven and move the tomatoes to the side. Place freshly cooked chicken breast in the center of the pan. Cover chicken with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and melted.
Pesto. Remove the pan from the oven and place chicken onto serving plates. Add pesto to the top of the chicken and melted cheese and then place a few tomatoes over pesto.
Parmesan. Top it all off with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and some fresh basil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Variations to Try For Pesto Chicken Caprese
- Capers. If you like a little bit of added salt, sprinkle a few capers on top of your prepared chicken breast! While capers aren’t a traditional ingredient when it comes to caprese, they’re definitely a tasty addition.
- Basil. Fresh basil is always a good idea, especially when there’s pesto involved! Serve this chicken with a few leaves of fresh basil on top for an extra summery treat.
- Mozzarella. You can use the shredded mozzarella like we did, or you can pick up some fresh buffalo mozzarella and slice it into pieces to use instead.
- Goat Cheese. I also make this exact same recipe but with goat cheese on top of the chicken. If you are a goat cheese lover, this is a must try!
Let’s talk side dishes! There are a number of sides that you can serve with this chicken:
- Salad: A side arugula salad is a great healthier option that we love to serve with this meal. It’s fresh and fits well with the Pesto Caprese Chicken.
- Potatoes: Mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower are both a great side dish for this chicken dinner.
- Vegetables: Any roasted vegetable goes well with this chicken, but especially green roasted vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts or green beans!
- Noodles: My kids like when I make a quick serving of buttery parmesan pasta (with a little fresh black pepper added) to go alongside this chicken. It does compliment it well!
- Garlic Bread: If we are feeling carb-y, garlic bread is always a happy side
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT LEFTOVERS
To store Pesto Chicken Caprese, refrigerate it in an airtight container for 2-3 days. It sadly does not freeze well. The cheese and pesto combination do don’t thaw well.
When you want to reheat your leftovers, pour a little olive oil into a pan on medium heat, and add some extra cheese on top of the chicken. Cook until the chicken and tomatoes reach the desired temperature. You can also reheat it well in an air fryer set to 375°F for about 2 to 3 minutes!
More Easy Dinner Ideas:
Chicken is always a good idea for dinner! Here are a few more easy chicken recipes we find ourselves making all the time:
Pesto Chicken Caprese
- 4 Grilled Chicken Breasts***
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup pesto sauce
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, optional topping
- Follow directions for grilled chicken breasts, or cook chicken breasts on stove top or oven, as desired.
- When the chicken is almost done cooking, turn the broiler on high. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray (or line with parchment paper/foil) and set aside
- In a medium bowl, add sliced cherry tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Pour tomatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and place under broiler for 2-4 minutes or until tomatoes start to blister and roast.
- Remove the tray from the oven and move the tomatoes to the side. Place grilled chicken breast in the center of the pan. Cover chicken with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place chicken and tomatoes on serving plates. Add pesto to the top of the chicken, place a few tomatoes over pesto and top it all off with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, cover pan, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Flip chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (or has reached an internal temp of 165°F).
- Continue on with recipe above from step #2.