Easy-to-make Crockpot Pasta Fagioli Soup is filling, full of flavor, and so easy to make! You can certainly get away with soup for dinner with this recipe that’s healthy and comforting.
Easy Pasta e Fagioli Soup
It doesn’t get much easier than soup in a slow cooker. It’s as simple as throwing a bunch of ingredients into a Crockpot and setting a timer. That’s exactly what we’re here for right – easy dinner ideas?! And this recipe checks of all of the boxes. This Crockpot Pasta Fagioli Soup is not only easy, but it’s delicious and a whole meal in itself.
What we love most about this soup is that it’s full of fiber-rich ingredients meaning that it’s going to fill you up on it’s own! Of course, this soup pairs so well with bread on the side (try our Herb Crescent Rolls!). But it’s substantial enough that you can serve it for dinner without any complaints!
There’s protein-packed ground beef, hearty pasta, and beans in this soup. Plus, there’s a ton of vegetables for more fiber and extra nutrients. So whenever you’re trying to feed your non-stop family – grab this recipe. We promise, everyone is going to love it!
Love making soup in the crockpot? Try some of these other reader favorites: Crockpot Minestrone Soup, Crockpot Baked Potato Soup and Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup.
What Is Pasta e Fagioli?
Pasta e Fagioli is Italian for “pasta and beans”. And that’s exactly what this soup has! It’s a traditional Italian soup that has become pretty popular in the states thanks to Olive Garden. (And we think this recipe is even better than theirs!)
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli
This recipe will easily make its’ way onto your list of best slow cooker soups! And here’s why:
- It takes less than 15 minutes to prep. Which means you can do it the night before or do it in the morning before you set-and-forget the slow cooker.
- The ingredients are easy to find and affordable. We are willing to bet that most of these ingredients are already in your kitchen. But if they aren’t, it’s just a quick and easy trip to the store that won’t break the bank.
- The recipe is easy! You just need to brown the meat and cut up some veggies – that’s pretty much it!
- It’s a versatile recipe. You can swap out the meat, veggies, and beans very easily to suit your taste and what you have in the fridge.
What You’ll Need
Here’s what you need to make Crockpot Fagioli Soup. Don’t forget to check out the recipe card below for exact measurements and instructions.
- Olive Oil: For cooking the ground meat.
- Ground Beef: Or you can also use ground turkey, ground chicken, or sausage.
- Garlic: We highly recommend using fresh garlic for the best flavor.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Crushed tomatoes add to the richness of the soup and helps flavor the broth.
- Diced Tomatoes: You could use more crushed tomatoes if you do not have any diced tomatoes. You just won’t have any chunks of tomatoes in the soup.
- Beans: We used red kidney and cannellini beans, but you can use other types of beans if you’d like.
- Beef Broth: Vegetable stock or chicken stock would also work.
- Italian Seasoning: This adds that authentic herb flavor!
- Salt and Pepper
- Bay Leaves
- Ditalini Pasta: Or you can use small elbow noodles.
How to Make Crockpot Pasta Fagioli Soup
In just a few simple steps your soup will be cooking in the slow cooker. Here’s what you need to do:
First, brown the meat. You’ll do this on the stovetop and then add the cooked meat to the Crockpot with the beans and vegetables.
Then add all of the other ingredients to the Crockpot. Add everything but the pasta into the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Make sure that the lid is on and it stays on!
Add the pasta. During the last half hour, add the pasta to the Crockpot. And then to cook the pasta, turn it to high and cover. Let the pasta cook for about 30 minutes.
Serve warm! The soup is ready to be served with the pasta is cooked.
Tips for Success
Follow these helpful tips to make sure that your soup comes out perfect every time.
- Use lean meat. We like to use ground beef that is very lean (90/10) so that the soup isn’t too fatty and oily.
- Prepare the ingredients the night before. Then you can just toss them in the Crockpot in the morning for an even faster prep time.
- Cook the pasta separately. Try cooking the pasta in boiling water and serve it beside the soup, that way everyone can add as much pasta or as little as they like. By cooking the pasta separately it helps keep the soup broth in tact. When you add the pasta to the soup and cook, it absorbs a lot of broth (especially when stored in the refrigerator).
What to Serve with Fagioli Soup
We mentioned that this soup is hearty enough to serve on it’s own, but it’s also really delicious with some side dishes. Here are some of our favorite things to serve with this soup.
- Sandwiches: Make your favorite sandwich to dip into this soup or you can try our Air Fryer Grilled Cheese, too!
- Rolls or Bread: You can get some crusty bread to serve alongside the soup or make our Herb Crescent Rolls.
- Salad: Soup and salad are always a great pairing! A classic Italian salad would be great, but you could also do something like this Easy Cucumber and Tomato Salad.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
You can store this soup in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Then simply reheat on the stovetop or microwave.
Keep in mind that you may need to add a little more broth because the noodles tend to absorb the liquid when stored in the fridge.
Can I Freeze This?
Crockpot Pasta Fagioli Soup freezes great and we highly recommend it! This soup can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. In fact, try storing cooled soup in a freezer ziplock bag so it doesn’t take up as much space in the freezer. And then place bag in the refrigerator a day or two before reheating.
Crockpot Pasta Fagioli Soup
Crockpot Pasta Fagioli Soup is full of flavorful ground beef, tender, and delicious vegetables and hearty broth made easy in the slow cooker.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (or turkey or ground Italian sausage)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup ditalini pasta (or small elbow noodles)
- In a medium size skillet, heat oil. Add the ground meat and brown, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks. Drain any grease and add meat to the crockpot.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the pasta. Cook on low 7 to 8 hours or high 4 to 5 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove the bay leaves and stir in the pasta. Turn crockpot to high, cover and let pasta cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm!
Storage: You can store this soup in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Then simply reheat on the stovetop or microwave. Keep in mind that you may need to add a little more broth because the noodles tend to absorb the liquid when stored in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 1335mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 33g