This hearty chicken broccoli rice casserole is loaded with tender chicken, rice, broccoli, and mushrooms and then topped with lots of gooey cheddar cheese and french fried onions. It’s a rich and comforting easy dinner idea that requires only 5 minutes of work!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Here’s why you’ll love it.
- Super Easy: All you have to do to make this creamy chicken rice broccoli casserole is mix the ingredients together, add them into a casserole dish and bake it in the oven. What could be easier than that?
- Taste: The chicken breasts, rice, mushrooms, and broccoli in this easy chicken broccoli rice casserole absorb all the flavor of the creamy mushroom soup and the tangy onion soup mix as the casserole bakes giving it tons of flavor. All topped with lots of gooey cheddar cheese and crispy French fried onions, your tastebuds will be dancing!
- Healthy: This meal tastes indulgent because of the melty cheddar cheese and cream of mushroom soup that add a lot of richness, but it’s actually a well balanced dinner! The base is lean chicken meat, rice, tons of broccoli, and fresh mushrooms. You get a healthy protein, lots of veggies and a starch all in one casserole!
- Mess-Free: One of the best things about casserole recipes is that most of them barely leave a mess in the kitchen. All you need for this recipe is a mixing bowl and a casserole dish. Your kitchen will stay spotless!
You only need 10 simple ingredients to make this complex and complete chicken and rice dinner. For full ingredient amounts and directions, scroll to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: You can also use any kind of condensed cream style soup you have on hand, like cream of onion, cream of celery, or even cream of chicken.
- Chicken Broth: You can use other types of stock if you’re out of chicken broth.
- Lipton Onion Soup Mix: You will use the dry onion soup mix, do not mix it with anything else.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Chicken Breasts: We used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Broccoli: Fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces.
- Mushrooms: Baby bella mushrooms are our preferred mushrooms for this casserole, but you can use any you prefer!
- White Rice: Long-grain white rice is best for this recipe.
- Cheddar Cheese: You can buy pre-shredded cheese or shred your own.
- French Fried Onions: If you don’t have French fried onions on hand, crushed ritz crackers or bread crumbs are tasty topping options as well.
How to Make Chicken Rice Broccoli Casserole
You won’t believe just how easy this chicken rice broccoli casserole is to make! Make sure to check out the recipe card for full detailed instructions on how to make this simple casserole dinner.
- Prep: Preheat your oven to 350F°, and spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Mix: Whisk the cream of mushroom soup with the chicken broth in a bowl, then stir in the chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, rice, Worcestershire sauce, and onion soup mix.
- Bake: Add to the casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes. Add the cheese and fried onions, then bake for 5 more minutes. Let rest, then serve.
Tips and Tricks
This hearty and healthy chicken and broccoli rice casserole dinner is so easy to make, but here are some tips for when you cook it up.
- Cover Tightly: When you bake this chicken and rice casserole, make sure to cover it tightly with aluminum foil. If the foil is tight, it will make the dish steam, which will help the rice cook evenly.
- Adjust The Seasonings: This easy recipe doesn’t have any added salt in it, because chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, and onion soup mix are all salty already. If you choose to use low sodium, or no-sodium chicken broth or cream of mushroom soup, you may need to add a little salt to prevent your casserole from being bland.
- Bite Size Broccoli: If you’re making this recipe for kids who are a little apprehensive about veggies, cut the broccoli into extra small pieces so it blends into the casserole a little more.
- Extra Cheese: Who doesn’t love cheese? If you want this dish to taste a little richer and more indulgent, you can stir in an extra cup of shredded cheese into the casserole before baking.
- Brown Rice: If you want a healthier grain, you can use brown rice instead of white rice. If you do use brown rice, add an extra half cup of broth and make sure the rice is fully cooked before serving. Brown rice usually needs a little more liquid and time to cook than white rice.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover broccoli and chicken casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat covered in foil in a 350°F oven for about 20 minutes, or until warmed all the way through. You can also reheat in the microwave in 30-second increments.
We do not recommend freezing this recipe. Rice tends to get pretty mushy when you freeze it and then thaw it and the casserole sauce will also become watery.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Easy Pizza Casserole
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (1 oz) packet Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets, (about 1 medium-sized head of broccoli)
- 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- ¾ cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup French fried onions, or lightly crushed ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°F, spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl add cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth and stir/whisk until blended.
- Add the onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, and rice. Stir until well combined.
- Spread chicken mixture in the prepared casserole dish, cover tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, until the rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and add the cheddar cheese over the top. Spread the French fried onions over the cheese layer.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is hot and melted. Let the casserole rest for 5 minutes to firm up before serving.