This one-pot, easy creamy cajun chicken recipe will make you feel like you’ve gone out for a fancy dinner! Tender, juicy chicken breasts are smothered in a cheesy Cajun cream sauce that’s bursting with flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Cajun Chicken Recipe
What makes this easy chicken breast dinner a must-try? Let’s take a look!
- Big, Bold Flavor: Thanks to the holy trinity (celery, onion, and bell pepper), garlic, and our homemade Cajun seasoning, this easy dish is loaded down with real Louisiana flavor.
- Ultra-Easy: Creamy Cajun chicken is a breeze to whip up and it all comes together in just one pan. We love an easy weeknight dinner recipe that doesn’t leave much to clean up!
- Wholesome Ingredients: A few simple ingredients are all you need to make this hearty meal. It’s made totally from scratch, but thankfully it is ready in about 30 minutes!
- Budget Friendly: No crazy or expensive ingredients are needed for this cajun chicken.
What Is Cajun Chicken Made Of?
You only need a handful of basics to bring it to the table. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Chicken: We like boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but chicken thighs would also work well.
- Butter: You can use salted or unsalted – just adjust the seasoning in the final dish to your taste.
- Onion: One medium yellow onion, diced.
- Bell Pepper: Any color, seeds removed and diced.
- Celery Stalks: Finely dice the celery.
- Green Onions: Some for the dish, and some for garnish.
- Minced Garlic: As much as we love garlic powder, we do recommend fresh garlic for this recipe. It’s so good! See the Tips section for ways to make mincing a bit easier.
- Heavy Cream: Heavy cream makes the richest Cajun cream sauce, but you could get away with using half-and-half or even whole milk, if you don’t mind the sauce being a little thinner.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: You can use freshly shredded or pre-shredded in this recipe.
- Cajun Seasoning: We like this homemade Cajun seasoning, but you can use store bought – Slap Ya Mama is our favorite!
How to Make Cajun Chicken in Cajun Cream Sauce
Making this spicy, zesty dish is a breeze! You’ll have dinner on the table in no time. Here’s the process, step by step.
- Cook the Chicken. Season your chicken with Cajun seasoning, and cook them for about 5 minutes, per side, over medium high heat. When they’re cooked through, set aside.
- Cook the Veggies. In the same skillet, melt the butter and sauté the “trinity” (onion, bell pepper, and celery) along with half of the green onions and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Make it Creamy! Stir in the heavy cream and more Cajun spices, and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 8 minutes. Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Finish the Dish. Return the chicken to the skillet, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Enjoy! Top with green onions and serve with your favorite sides!
Tips for Success
For the best, tastiest, easiest creamy Cajun chicken, make sure to check out these helpful tips!
- Bell Peppers: Use any color bell pepper you like. Yellow, red and orange are milder in flavor than the green bell pepper. Just don’t skip it – bell peppers are essential. Every good Cajun meal starts with the Cajun holy trinity!
- Cheese: You can switch up the cheese for a slightly different flavor – we love Swiss as an alternative to cheddar.
- Chicken Thickness: If you use thin chicken breasts, this will cook much faster. You can also slice your chicken breasts in half lengthwise, to make thin “cutlets.”
What to Serve with Cajun Chicken
Creamy cajun chicken goes great with a starch and some vegetables. If you need a recipe or two, these are some of our favorites:
- Okra: Grilled okra is a unique way to enjoy this classic Southern veggie, but stewed okra and tomatoes is also a favorite!
- Mashed Potatoes: Rice and pasta are wonderful here, but if you want something a bit more special, don’t sleep on our recipe for the best mashed potatoes!
- Bread: A piece of homemade garlic bread is perfect for soaking up any leftover sauce!
Storing and Reheating
For any leftover creamy Cajun chicken, store it in an airtight container in the fridge, where it will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
You can reheat it on the stovetop over low heat, or in the microwave. When reheating, you’ll want to stir well and add a little water, broth, or milk to make it creamy again. Due to the cheese and heavy cream, it will separate once refrigerated, but if you stir and heat it will still be super tasty.
Can I Freeze This?
Sadly, we can’t recommend freezing creamy Cajun chicken. The texture of the cream sauce will change after freezing and thawing, so it’s best enjoyed fresh.
More Easy Chicken Breast Recipes
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Easy Skillet Chicken and Gravy
- Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
Creamy Cajun Chicken
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced bell pepper, any color
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced and divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ½ teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- Season chicken on both sides with ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning, set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, cooking on each side for 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through and an instant-read meat thermometer reaches 165°F. Remove chicken and place on a plate and wrap with foil to keep warm. (The foil will also help the chicken to stay juicy.)
- Melt remaining butter in the skillet, add the onion, bell pepper, celery, half of the green onions and garlic. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in heavy cream and remaining 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning. Bring to a soft boil for 1 minute, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook for about 8 minutes, until thickened, stirring often.
- Add cheese and stir to melt. Add the chicken back to skillet and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately and garnish with the additional chopped green onions.