Let the crockpot do all of the cooking for you with our favorite easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos! You will only need 5 simple ingredients to make the best tender, juicy shredded chicken tacos.
Easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos Recipe
You can make tacos with ground beef, ground turkey, shrimp, vegetables, etc. All of these are great options, but after you try these Crockpot Chicken Tacos, you’ll know why these are one of our favorite easy dinners! These shredded chicken tacos are next-level delicious.
Juicy chicken is shredded in the crockpot, seasoned with homemade chicken taco seasoning, mixed in with canned tomatoes with chiles, and served in a soft tortilla. Add in a little lime juice for a zesty burst of flavor, and your tastebuds will be in heaven!
The best part of this recipe is that it’s made in the crockpot. Pretty much all you have to do is add the chicken to the crockpot, toss in the other ingredients, and wait for everything to cook. This tender chicken tacos recipe couldn’t be any easier!
What Makes Crockpot Tacos So Good?
We know that you have a lot of options for Taco Tuesday. So, here are a few reasons why we think you should give this shredded chicken tacos recipe a try:
- Lots and Lots of Flavor: There may only be 5 ingredients to these chicken tacos, but that doesn’t mean that they’re lacking in flavor! Fresh-squeezed lime juice adds the perfect amount of zestiness, while the canned tomatoes and green chilis add a little spice/heat!
- Adaptable: The base ingredients for these tacos are provided, but the toppings are up to you! Feel free to customize your chicken tacos however you please (see suggestions for toppings below!).
- Easy Clean-Up: Not only is the cooking process a breeze, but so is the clean-up! All you have to worry about in terms of dishes is the crockpot, which is great on a busy weeknight when your attention is needed elsewhere.
- Budget Friendly: Most of the ingredients needed for this recipe are pantry staples that you may already have on hand. However, the 5 ingredients needed are also inexpensive, so if you need to go and buy them all, they won’t break the bank!
Let’s dive a little deeper into those 5 core ingredients. If you’re looking for specific amounts, though, you can find them in the recipe card below.
- Chicken: We like to use boneless skinless chicken breast, but chicken thighs will also work. And yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts as well!
- Chicken Taco Seasoning: Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning provides the best flavor, but store bought taco seasoning is also good if you’re short on time.
- Canned Tomatoes and Chilies: We like to add Rotel to these tacos – you can use either mild, medium, or hot depending on your preference for heat.
- Lime Juice: Fresh-squeezed lime juice (as opposed to store bought) achieves the best zesty flavor.
- Tortillas: You can use either corn or flour tortillas, whichever you prefer.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Now that we know what ingredients we’re working with, let’s get into how to make crockpot tacos. This is the step-by-step guide:
- Season the Chicken: Add the chicken to the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle chicken taco seasoning over the breasts.
- Add the Rotel: Pour the canned tomatoes and lime juice over the top of the chicken breast.
- Cook the Chicken: Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and easily shredded.
- Shred the Chicken: Right before serving, shred the chicken with 2 forks in the crockpot. Once the chicken is shredded, cover to keep warm.
- Warm the Tortillas: Using a skillet over medium-high heat, warm the tortillas until they just start to brown on each side. Wrap the warm tortillas in a clean towel, foil, or tortilla holder to keep them warm.
- Serve and Enjoy! Serve your shredded chicken in warm tortillas with all of your favorite toppings piled on top!
If you are having taco night, we insist you try our favorite easy Chili Con Queso for an appetizer or side! These are some possible topping ideas for you to consider:
- Corn Salsa: Sweet corn kernels mixed with chopped jalapeño pepper makes our favorite easy Corn Salsa the perfect topping for any taco recipe!
- Guacamole or Avocado: Creamy Guacamole is a classic option for tacos, and definitely a go-to in our kitchen.
- Pico de Gallo: If corn salsa isn’t your thing, this Homemade Pico de Gallo might be instead!
- Sour Cream or Mexican Crema: Sour cream is another classic option, as is this Cilantro Lime Crema.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro adds a citrusy flavor that would absolutely pair well with these tacos.
- Hot Sauce: Can’t get enough heat? Add some hot sauce to your shredded chicken, then!
- Onion: Chopped onion gives these tacos a little more texture, and red onion especially adds another level of subtle spice.
- Jalapeños: You could include pickled or fresh jalapeños in your crockpot tacos if you’d rather add some extra spice in pepper form.
- Cheese: Cotija, Queso Fresco, and Mexican Blend are all great choices!
Tips for Success
Pretty simple, right? Making this shredded chicken tacos recipe in the slow cooker is so much easier than waiting for meat to brown on the stovetop, like you would have to do in most taco recipes.
Anyhow, here are some quick tips and tricks to read through before you get started:
- Adjust the Heat Level: We always use mild so kids can enjoy it; you can always add heat when serving your individual taco by using hot sauce or fresh, chopped jalapeños.
- Don’t Skip Warming the Tortillas! We love doing this on the stove. It’s the best way to get that little bit of browning and a little char on the tortillas. You can also warm them in the microwave, wrapped in a moist paper towel if you are in a hurry.
- Add Broth to Your Leftovers: If you have leftovers, place them in in airtight container with some of the broth that is leftover from cooking the chicken. This will help to keep the chicken from drying out.
How to Store and Reheat Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Shredded chicken tacos make a great lunch if you have leftovers! Here’s how to store and reheat everything:
- To Store: Keep any uneaten chicken in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 5 days.
- To Reheat: Simply microwave the chicken for 30 seconds to a minute, or heat it up on the stove top in a pan with a splash of oil.
- Freezer: You can freeze any leftover shredded chicken for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
More Taco Recipes to Try
On the lookout for more easy taco ideas? Or taco flavored dishes? Check out these ones:
- Easy Shrimp Tacos with Slaw
- Air Fried Avocado Tacos
- Easy Taco Soup
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Walking Tacos
- Easy Taco Pasta
- Best Taco Meat
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Add the chicken to the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle chicken taco seasoning over the breasts.
- Pour the rotel and lime juice over the top of the chicken breast.
- Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours, until chicken is cooked through and easily shredded.
- Right before serving, shred the chicken with 2 forks in the crockpot. Once chicken is shredded, cover to keep warm.
- Using a skillet over medium high heat, warm the tortillas until just starting to brown on each side. Wrap warm tortillas in a clean towel, foil, or tortilla holder to keep warm.
- Serve shredded chicken in warm tortillas with all your favorite toppings piled on top!
- Servings Note: Makes 4-6 servings.
- To Store: Store leftover chicken in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 5 days.
- To Freeze: Freeze the shredded chicken for up to 3 months.