This Cheesy Jiffy Cornbread brings a beloved boxed mix to the next level! It’s slightly spicy, sweet, and incredibly rich. It’s the perfect easy side dish that you can make on a weeknight or bring to a potluck.
The Best Mexican Cornbread Recipe
We love a good piece of cornbread. Who doesn’t?! It’s a delicious and easy side dish that we find ourselves making all of the time for dinner. And you’re going to want to make this Cheesy Jiffy Cornbread tonight not just because it’s insanely easy to make but because every bite is perfection.
Every single slice of Cheesy Jiffy Cornbread is perfect. It has a little heat from the green chilis and then some sweetness from the honey to balance it out. Not to mention the rich and creamy shredded cheese that’s melted throughout the bread. And then we top it all off with some melted butter. Does it get better than that? We don’t think so!
Yes, this cornbread is insanely good…but the best part about this recipe is that you don’t have to make it from scratch. All you need is a box of Jiffy cornbread mix and some pantry staples and you’re on your way to making the most mouthwatering cornbread ever!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This is one of our favorite side dishes and it’s even a great snack. And here’s why we think this is one of the best cornbread recipes out there.
- Amazing cornbread doesn’t have to be from scratch. We love Homemade Cornbread, but this recipe proves that you can make amazing cornbread even if you have a little head start with Jiffy cornbread mix!
- Simple kitchen staple ingredients. This easy recipe uses easy kitchen staple ingredients that you probably always have on hand. Making it an easy side dish in a pinch!
- It hits the sweet and spicy spot! We love pairing sweetness with heat because the perfect flavor combo and this cornbread has both! It has heat from green chilis and sweetness from the honey.
- The side dish that keeps giving. You can make a batch for dinner and then have it as a snack the day after because it stays fresh for up to 3 days. We suggest having a slice for breakfast with some scrambled eggs and salsa – delicious!
The list of ingredients for Cheesy Jiffy Cornbread is below. Scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the ingredient amounts.
- Jiffy Cornbread Mix: We love to keep a bunch in the pantry for a quick side dish.
- Sour Cream: This prevents the cornbread from drying out.
- Whole Milk: You can use other milk, too, but whole milk is going to have the best results.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: The cheese adds richness and so much flavor to the cornbread.
- Corn: You can use canned or frozen.
- Diced Green Chilies: This is another pantry staple around here! Diced green chilies are a great way to add heat and pepper flavor to recipes.
- Green Onions: You can also use sliced chives.
- Honey: Honey and cornbread are a match made in heaven! The slight sweetness is incredible and pairs perfectly with the heat from the chilis.
How to Make Cheesy Jiffy Cornbread
The steps are very straightforward for this recipe. After all, you start with a box of Jiffy mix and then it only gets better from there!
Preheat the oven. Always preheat the oven before baking. And if you have a 12-inch cast iron skillet, pop that in there, too for preheating.
First, mix the Jiffy, egg, sour cream, and milk. Whisk everything gently until it’s all blended and try not to over-mix.
Then fold in the goodies. Again, gently fold in the cheese, corn, chilies, green onions, and honey.
Add the cornbread batter to the skillet. First, you’ll put some butter into the pan which creates a perfect golden brown edge!
Then bake for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. You can always check the doneness with a toothpick and if it comes out clean, the cornbread is done!
Let the cornbread rest before serving. That way it won’t crumble when you slice into it. And don’t forget to add the last tablespoon of butter on top! It melts right into the cornbread for extra deliciousness.
Tips for Success
Follow these helpful tips when making cornbread! It’s so simple and with these few tricks, it will be the best cornbread you’ve ever had.
- Use a cast iron skillet. If you have a cast iron skillet, we highly recommend using it. Cast iron gets hot and holds the heat. Cast iron also evenly distributes heat so the cornbread cooks more evenly.
- Put the skillet in the oven while it’s preheating. Heating the skillet before adding the cornbread mix helps to add a crisp crust to your cornbread.
- Cooking times will vary based on the size of the pan. Depending on the size skillet or baking dish will determine the amount of baking time. If you use a 9×13 or a large skillet the cornbread should bake for about 35-40 minutes. If you use a smaller baking dish or smaller skillet the cornbread will be thicker and take longer to bake. If you are baking the cornbread for a longer time, you may want to cover the top with foil after 35 minutes to prevent the cornbread from getting too brown on top.
Jiffy Cornbread Variations
Here are a few different ways to mix up this cornbread recipe even more.
- Use jalapeños instead of green chilies. Diced jalapeños can be substituted for canned green chilies.
- Add more sweetness. If you like sweet cornbread you can add a second or third tablespoon of honey to suit your tastes. You could also use maple syrup as an alternative.
- No sour cream? You can also use plain Greek yogurt.
- Mix up the cheese. We like to use cheddar, but you can also use pepper jack or Monterey jack would also be delicious!
What to Serve with Cheesy Cornbread
This cornbread is the perfect side dish for so many recipes and here are some of our favorites.
- Cozy cups of chili: We have quite an assortment of chili recipes for you to choose from! And this Mexican Cornbread goes well with every single one of them. Start with our Easy Crockpot Chili Recipe and then you have to make our Mexican White Chili (it’s amazing!).
- Comforting soup recipes: Some of our favorite soups are Carrot Black Bean Soup, Easy Taco Soup, and Salsa Verde Chicken Soup and they go great with cornbread on the side.
- It’s the perfect BBQ side: Try this recipe with Crockpot BBQ Chicken, Country Style Ribs, and Southern Baked Beans.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover cornbread at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze Cornbread?
Freezing cheesy cornbread is easy! Wrap in plastic wrap, label, and then store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Cheesy Jiffy Cornbread
This Cheesy Jiffy Cornbread recipe is the perfect way to dress up your favorite cornbread mix! Adding cheese, green chilis, honey, and green onions makes this cornbread something really special!
- 2 (8.5 oz) boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. While oven is preheating, place a 12 inch cast iron skillet in the oven to get hot. (You can use a 9x13 baking dish if you prefer.)
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, add the Jiffy, eggs, sour cream and milk, mixing until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Next stir in the cheese, corn, green chilies, green onions, and honey, until combined. Batter will be a little lumpy, but do not over mix!
- Remove skillet or baking dish from the oven, add 1 tablespoon butter, move butter around to melt and cover the bottom and sides of the skillet.
- Add the cornbread batter to the hot skillet and place in oven. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown at the edges and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (If your cornbread is browning too quickly, you can cover the top with foil to stop it from browning more.)
- Remove cornbread from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter on top before serving, if desired.
Storage: Store leftover cornbread at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 7g