With juicy beef, earthy mushrooms, and a rich cream sauce, this easy ground beef stroganoff recipe is the ultimate comfort meal made in just one skillet. It’s full of hearty and savory flavors the whole family will love and only takes 30 minutes to make!
Why You’ll Love This Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Here are a few reasons why hamburger stroganoff is going to be a hit in your home.
- Easy & Fast: Despite being loaded with hearty, rich and creamy flavors, this ground beef stroganoff recipe is so easy to whip together. Perfect for busy weeknights, it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish!
- One-Pot Meal: You only need one pot to make this soothing and creamy beef stroganoff. That means that your kitchen will be nearly as clean when you’re done cooking as when you start.
- Affordable: This stroganoff, with juicy ground beef and hearty mushrooms, is super affordable. It uses common household ingredients that aren’t very expensive and you likely already have on hand.
- Comforting: Easy beef stroganoff is one of our favorite comfort food dinners. It’s warm, cozy, filling, and perfect for when you’re staying in on a cold night!
What You’ll Need
This quick and easy ground beef stroganoff only uses ingredients that you’re likely to have in your fridge and pantry. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Ground Beef: Lean ground beef is best for this recipe, but you can use ground turkey or chicken.
- Olive Oil: Any type of oil will work in this recipe, but I prefer the flavor of olive oil.
- Salt and Pepper: Always use freshly cracked pepper for the most flavor.
- Onion: A sweet yellow onion is best, but a white will also work.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Beef Broth: You can also use veggie, chicken, or mushroom broth.
- Worcestershire Sauce: The Worcestershire sauce makes the stroganoff much richer and earthier.
- Mushrooms: We use baby bella mushrooms, but you can use any variety.
- Sour Cream: Use full fat sour cream for the creamiest sauce.
- Cream Cheese: The cream cheese will need to be softened.
- Fresh Parsley: Optional garnish.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
This hamburger stroganoff recipe is exploding with savory flavors, but it’s surprisingly easy to make in just one skillet. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for full detailed instructions.
- Cook the beef: Brown the ground beef in a skillet with oil, salt, and pepper until cooked through.
- Add aromatics: Stir in the onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Make a gravy: Add flour and cook while stirring for a few minutes, then add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Cook the mushrooms: Add the sliced mushrooms, stir to combine, and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Make it creamy: Stir in the sour cream and cream cheese until melted, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh parsley and serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
Tips for Success
This fool-proof recipe for hearty and comforting ground beef stroganoff is so easy to make, but here are a few tricks for getting the most out of this savory dinner.
- Use full-fat ingredients: For the creamiest results, use full-fat sour cream and cream cheese, which will make the stroganoff extra creamy.
- Slowly add the liquid: After cooking the flour, it’s important to very slowly add the beef broth. If you add the broth too quickly, the gravy will separate or become lumpy.
- Brown the beef: When cooking ground beef, it’s important to get good color on the meat. If the meat doesn’t get some color, it won’t have very much flavor.
- Hide the mushrooms: If you’re serving this recipe to kids who don’t like mushrooms, we recommend finely dicing the mushrooms. They will blend in with the ground beef and they hopefully won’t even notice they are there, our kids didn’t!
What to Serve With Hamburger Stroganoff
Rich and creamy ground beef stroganoff is best served on top of a bed of mashed potatoes, cooked egg noodles or even rice. This meaty recipe also goes great with some green sides like air fryer brussels sprouts, roasted broccoli or sautéed zucchini and squash! Don’t forget a slice of homemade garlic bread to round out your plate!
How to Store & Reheat Leftover Easy Beef Stroganoff
Leftovers will last in the fridge for up to 5 days as long as you store it in an airtight container. You can reheat it in the microwave in 30-second increments, or on the stove over medium heat until warm throughout.
Hamburger stroganoff is also freezer safe! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. For best results, thaw fully in the fridge overnight before reheating.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, quartered and softened
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the beef while breaking it apart until it is no longer pink. If using fattier ground beef, drain off any excess grease.
- Stir in the onions and the garlic, and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and onions and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, while stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce while stirring. Bring the gravy to a simmer, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir to combine. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and the cream cheese until the cheese is melted. Taste the stroganoff sauce, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the parsley and stir to combine, then serve hot over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or rice. Garnish with additional fresh parsley, if desired.